Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The influence of the EU on Britain.

Comments

• Options
    Fiiish said:

The problem with the supposition of the above, that the government promised that Brexit means Brexit, is that the government was not an active participant in campaigning. The government can either state unambiguously what will happen in the event of either option winning and then allow no campaigning, or otherwise it allows two campaigns and it enacts whichever one got the result. Instead the government promised one thing, the official Leave campaign another and we are left with a total mess on our hands.

Two other points:

1) Vote Leave was the government sanctioned Leave campaign so it is safe to assume that the government endorsed their vision of leaving the EU.

2) The government pamphlet makes zero mention of what would happen depending on the result. All it says is 'we will implement what you decide'. Well a third voted to Leave, a third voted to Remain and a third did not vote. Good luck reconciling that.

As the government-produced leaflet endorsed remain, I doubt they endorsed any vision of leaving the EU.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Fiiish said:

The problem with the supposition of the above, that the government promised that Brexit means Brexit, is that the government was not an active participant in campaigning. The government can either state unambiguously what will happen in the event of either option winning and then allow no campaigning, or otherwise it allows two campaigns and it enacts whichever one got the result. Instead the government promised one thing, the official Leave campaign another and we are left with a total mess on our hands.

Two other points:

1) Vote Leave was the government sanctioned Leave campaign so it is safe to assume that the government endorsed their vision of leaving the EU.

2) The government pamphlet makes zero mention of what would happen depending on the result. All it says is 'we will implement what you decide'. Well a third voted to Leave, a third voted to Remain and a third did not vote. Good luck reconciling that.

As the government-produced leaflet endorsed remain, I doubt they endorsed any vision of leaving the EU.
    Yes but if we were going to leave then the official government backed Leave campaign painted the picture of that vision.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Fiiish said:

Two other points:

You must have got a different leaflet to me. The leaflet I got from the government included arguments from both leave and remain. The leave section was full of easily provable lies whilst the remain section contains vague promises of things only getting better and a certain naive optimism that fell well short of outright lies. Neither argument was endorsed as such in the leaflet.

There may have course have been other leaflets that I didn't receive, as I said, this was the only leaflet I received from the government and was largely useless as it represented lies vs wishful thinking.
  • Options

stonemuse said:

Fiiish said:

Two other points:

You must have got a different leaflet to me. The leaflet I got from the government included arguments from both leave and remain. The leave section was full of easily provable lies whilst the remain section contains vague promises of things only getting better and a certain naive optimism that fell well short of outright lies. Neither argument was endorsed as such in the leaflet.

There may have course have been other leaflets that I didn't receive, as I said, this was the only leaflet I received from the government and was largely useless as it represented lies vs wishful thinking.
    No it didnt - the document is attached.

https://gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/525022/20160523_Leaflet_EASY_READ_FINAL_VERSION.pdf
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

stonemuse said:

Fiiish said:

Two other points:

No it didnt - the document is attached.

https://gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/525022/20160523_Leaflet_EASY_READ_FINAL_VERSION.pdf
    And this.

https://gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/515068/why-the-government-believes-that-voting-to-remain-in-the-european-union-is-the-best-decision-for-the-uk.pdf
  • Options
    There was also a leaflet (not the pamphlet attached above) that gave each campaign a page to make its case.
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

There was also a leaflet (not the pamphlet attached above) that gave each campaign a page to make its case.

I am referring to the formal government endorsed document received by all households ... which supported remain.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Fiiish said:

I am referring to the formal government endorsed document received by all households ... which supported remain.
    Yes but I'm saying what Randy Andy said is also true.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What do people reckon that the Britons of 2030 or 2040 would make of the events in the last years that led to where the UK is now? Genuine question. I feel that they could be even angrier with what happened than Brexiters have been with the EU over the years and, depending on how the economy has gone, feel a great sense of resentment. Very difficult to hypothesise, I know, but be interesting to hear people's thoughts about how Brexit is looked back on in ten or twenty years.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Fiiish said:

The government may not have been an ‘active’ participant in campaigning, but the government leaflet was unambiguous in that it transparently advocated that we should remain. The choice it gave was that if we did not vote remain, we would leave the European Union.

I am not saying that the entire populace was as clued up as me, but I clearly interpreted that as meaning we leave both the SM and the CU.
    This is a specious argument. The government warned that a very likely and very very very bad consequence of a Leave vote is that the UK would end up leaving the CU and SM. The government did not need to spell out what a disaster that would be for the U.K. Economy. It was a given that anyone with half a brain cell knew this to be a fact. The Leave campaign knew this was a fact and labelled the claim that the UK would have to leave the CU and the SM as another example of Project Fear. Brexit supporters cannot now claim that actually, they voted Leave knowing that the the government claim was true when at the time they were screaming blue murder about scaremongering government propaganda.
  • Options

stonemuse said:

Fiiish said:

The government may not have been an ‘active’ participant in campaigning, but the government leaflet was unambiguous in that it transparently advocated that we should remain. The choice it gave was that if we did not vote remain, we would leave the European Union.

I am not saying that the entire populace was as clued up as me, but I clearly interpreted that as meaning we leave both the SM and the CU.
    This is a specious argument. The government warned that a very likely and very very very bad consequence of a Leave vote is that the UK would end up leaving the CU and SM. The government did not need to spell out what a disaster that would be for the U.K. Economy. It was a given that anyone with half a brain cell knew this to be a fact. The Leave campaign knew this was a fact and labelled the claim that the UK would have to leave the CU and the SM as another example of Project Fear. Brexit supporters cannot now claim that actually, they voted Leave knowing that the the government claim was true when at the time they were screaming blue murder about scaremongering government propaganda.
    Is it worth pointing out, I wonder, that whatever the Government said prior to the referendum is irrelevant? I mean, it's no longer the Government, and cannot bind the current one (even with exactly the same party in power) to its political commitments.
  • Options

What do people reckon that the Britons of 2030 or 2040 would make of the events in the last years that led to where the UK is now? Genuine question. I feel that they could be even angrier with what happened than Brexiters have been with the EU over the years and, depending on how the economy has gone, feel a great sense of resentment. Very difficult to hypothesise, I know, but be interesting to hear people's thoughts about how Brexit is looked back on in ten or twenty years.

Good question.
    In my opinion in 2030 the EU will cease to exist and people then will think I know we had it tough for a few years when we left the EU but thank God we did as we are now in a far better position than those that chose to remain and struggled when it collapsed.
  • Options
    I can't believe we are going back around the circular "...but we all knew what Leave meant" argument. @NornIrishAddick nails it above but even more simply; if we all knew exactly what Leave was apparently, why has the cabinet only started discussing amongst itself what sort of future relationship with the EU it wants in the last few weeks? Perhaps someone should have explained it them before now in that case?

This false narrative and accompanying denial of reality in that Brexiteers offered only one version of Leave is total and utter bollocks to be crude. Leavers should at least have the decency to own their position and deal with the consequences not try to tell Remainers (and other Leavers btw!) they're too stupid to remember or understand what was being said less than 2 years ago.

Rant over. Carry on.

;-)
  • Options

stonemuse said:

Fiiish said:

Is it worth pointing out, I wonder, that whatever the Government said prior to the referendum is irrelevant? I mean, it's no longer the Government, and cannot bind the current one (even with exactly the same party in power) to its political commitments.
    I was about to make that exact point.
  • Options
    edited February 2018

Good question.
    In my opinion in 2030 the EU will cease to exist and people then will think I know we had it tough for a few years when we left the EU but thank God we did as we are now in a far better position than those that chose to remain and struggled when it collapsed.
    It’s good to see that you are basing our future on exactly the sand foundations that Brexit was built on.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/weird/916875/END-OF-THE-WORLD-Nibiru-2018-planet-x-david-meade-israel-apocalypse
  • Options

I think it will be similar to the way Germans brought up in post war Germany look back on the events that led to the rise of the Nazi party.
  • Options

Good question.
    Interesting - why do you think it will cease to exist? Living in Europe I see that it seems to be getting stronger in most of its countries in terms of how people see it, and how it leads to inter-country co-operation. Under what circumstances do you feel it might collapse? Apart from in Poland and Hungary, the anti-EU or far-right parties seem to have very little following and the appetite in most European countries seems to be for centrist progressive politics.

I fear that the Britons in twenty to thirty years might feel that the UK moved away from this prevailing mood to pursue something nostalgic that was not in tune with the rest of the world (apart from Trump), with serious consequences for them and would judge us accordingly. I've got no crystal ball of course, but it's a sad thought.
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

stonemuse said:

Fiiish said:

Yes but I'm saying what Randy Andy said is also true.
    Perhaps someone can post a link to the ‘government-issued’ document to which he refers.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

stonemuse said:

Fiiish said:

Thank you for backing up what both @Dippenhall and myself alluded to. The populace WERE therefore warned about leaving the SM and the CU. Both @Fiiish and @randy andy have stated the opposite.

You can’t all be right.
  • Options

I can't believe we are going back around the circular "...but we all knew what Leave meant" argument. @NornIrishAddick nails it above but even more simply; if we all knew exactly what Leave was apparently, why has the cabinet only started discussing amongst itself what sort of future relationship with the EU it wants in the last few weeks? Perhaps someone should have explained it them before now in that case?

This false narrative and accompanying denial of reality in that Brexiteers offered only one version of Leave is total and utter bollocks to be crude. Leavers should at least have the decency to own their position and deal with the consequences not try to tell Remainers (and other Leavers btw!) they're too stupid to remember or understand what was being said less than 2 years ago.

Rant over. Carry on.

;-)

I’ve always owned my position and stated it very clearly on here from day one.
  • Options

I think it will be similar to the way Germans brought up in post war Germany look back on the events that led to the rise of the Nazi party.
    Please tell me you don't really think that?
  • Options

Dear oh dear. That’s OTT even for you.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Actually quite normal for him.
    One of the reasons I hardly bother to post on this thread
  • Options

stonemuse said:

If he confirms that he actually believes that, then I see no point in responding to him in future.
  • Options
    edited February 2018

stonemuse said:

I don't think it will be that extreme either, just more a sense of sadness and frustration. Why do you think the EU will collapse? It's good to have proper Brexiter contribution on here again. Since Cabbles' intervention to stop the needless wind up posts the moderate Leave voices have come back on here to add to the discussion and made it very interesting again.
  • Options

stonemuse said:

I don't think it will be that extreme either, just more a sense of sadness and frustration. Why do you think the EU will collapse? It's good to have proper Brexiter contribution on here again. Since Cabbles' intervention to stop the needless wind up posts the moderate Leave voices have come back on here to add to the discussion and made it very interesting again.
    I shall respond to you soon mate and thanks for keeping it civil.
    Football match tonight so talk later.
  • Options

Good question.
    Interesting - why do you think it will cease to exist? Living in Europe I see that it seems to be getting stronger in most of its countries in terms of how people see it, and how it leads to inter-country co-operation. Under what circumstances do you feel it might collapse? Apart from in Poland and Hungary, the anti-EU or far-right parties seem to have very little following and the appetite in most European countries seems to be for centrist progressive politics.

I fear that the Britons in twenty to thirty years might feel that the UK moved away from this prevailing mood to pursue something nostalgic that was not in tune with the rest of the world (apart from Trump), with serious consequences for them and would judge us accordingly. I've got no crystal ball of course, but it's a sad thought.
    I agree with that, except to make one correction which only strengthens your overall point. Although the Polish government is far -right in many ways, strongly Catholic-conservative driven, the Poles remain one of the most strongly pro EU peoples in the Union. There are going to be rows with these countries, but more along the lines of how much integration. Slovakia's leader Fico made an interesting move to become more pro EU last year. There is a Czech far -right party with about 7-10% ratings, but here is the thing: the sensible politicians here are already saying "look at what an absolute toilet Brexit is". The departing foreign minister put it almost exactly like that. The only comfort I take from Brexit is that it actually might make the EU nations stronger in their support of the principle, and take the wind out of populist- nationalist sails.

I think it was about a year ago that @i_b_b_o_r_g forecast on here there would be a Frexit referendum by 2019. When I cordially invited him to have a wager on that, he disappeared back to the brasserie for his pastis and boules. That of course was at the time when some were getting excited about "Marine". She of course crashed and burnt, and we now have one of the most interesting young leaders of a major EU country. I don't pretend everything in the Euro garden is rosy, but my, it looks a whole lot rosier than a year ago, on a whole range of parameters.

• Options
    edited February 2018
    stonemuse said:

Rant over. Carry on.

;-)

I’ve always owned my position and stated it very clearly on here from day one.
    You may have done but it is clear that those behind Brexit are now pursuing a different agenda to that set out previously.

Even on here only recently @Southbank claimed that initially he was in favour of a "soft" Brexit...but has moved to the hardest form of leaving since. We'll in that case he's clearly not going to get what he actually voted for is he? Or he is, and he's not going get what he now wants! So, utterly inconsistent with the falsehood being set out in other words.

What about the others on here pre-referendum who were promoting EFTA, Norway style, etc. membership as their reason to leave? They can't ALL be getting their version of Brexit can they? What about the dozy moron on another site I read recently who claimed she voted Leave as a "protest vote" in the expectation that Cameron would still win but go back to the EU for more concessions? She didn't even want to leave for heaven's sake yet the narrative gaining traction with Leavers now is that everyone knew exactly what would happen as a result i.e. the hardest, most disruptive Brexit possible when they entered the polling station. It's bullshit.

When even the Ministers responsible for delivering it clearly can't agree amongst themselves wtf it meant it is demonstrably untrue to pursue the line we all did. I'd rather focus any discussion on here on the way forward personally but this particular line of nonsense needs nipping in the bud before it becomes accepted as the truth.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!