Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

My away day at Gillingham on Saturday

Comments

• Options
    Is there an echo on this thread
  • Options

cabbles said:

Rob7Lee said:

Took my lad on Saturday and we were directly in front of the lad and his mates that got nicked for the flare.

Found it quite ironic that he is from Faversham bearing in mind the abuse he was giving the Gills fans for their travelling community heritage..

On a more serious point my lad knew he was going to be stood on his seat all game and shouldn't repeat the language he heard so no issues there but we haven't half got some slags following us for these local away games now.

Im all for getting a few beers in before the game as that creates the atmosphere but don't get the need to throw flares in daylight (cringey and very Palace), break seats for a 'laugh' and just generally act a prick.

Maybe im getting old, or just not a moron?

Lucky you, last time I was in front of the flare lighters (Walsall away last year) the boys in blue decided to pull me out for it!

I believe over the past few years a new group of 'herberts' has attached themselves to the club, 50-60 of them. Predominantly at away games and Mick E is slowly eking them out.

I do take my daughters, all be it they are 14 & 17 now so not as if they haven't heard the words before, although the wife refuses to come anymore (not that she's a football fan anyway, normally misses the goals as reading her kindle :blush: ).

I agree with the OP, you go to football and you do expect to hear strong language, but it's language for the sake of it in the last few years and giving pelters to our own players often for little or no reason. For me it's not so much the words but the aggressive nature of it.

I can remember going season after season to almost every away game in the early 90's, plenty of language and loads of banter but never anywhere near as bad as the aggressive nature you hear it the last few years. Northampton last year springs to mind, hardly a local derby.
    It's because no-one takes ecstacy anymore like they did in the early 90s!! :smiley:
    I couldn't imagine anything worse than coming up during a football game
    I took one on the coach on the way to Newcastle for the 4 3 game, just as we stopped at Catterick for a beer. Had another half just as we got to the ground and left the other half for when we got back on after the game. Was a great day out all round
    I'm not gonna lie. That's the best thing I've read on this thread in the 7 years I've been a member

So essentially you're sort of coming down as you get back to London
  • Options

cabbles said:

cabbles said:

Rob7Lee said:

Took my lad on Saturday and we were directly in front of the lad and his mates that got nicked for the flare.

Found it quite ironic that he is from Faversham bearing in mind the abuse he was giving the Gills fans for their travelling community heritage..

On a more serious point my lad knew he was going to be stood on his seat all game and shouldn't repeat the language he heard so no issues there but we haven't half got some slags following us for these local away games now.

Im all for getting a few beers in before the game as that creates the atmosphere but don't get the need to throw flares in daylight (cringey and very Palace), break seats for a 'laugh' and just generally act a prick.

Lucky you, last time I was in front of the flare lighters (Walsall away last year) the boys in blue decided to pull me out for it!

I believe over the past few years a new group of 'herberts' has attached themselves to the club, 50-60 of them. Predominantly at away games and Mick E is slowly eking them out.

I do take my daughters, all be it they are 14 & 17 now so not as if they haven't heard the words before, although the wife refuses to come anymore (not that she's a football fan anyway, normally misses the goals as reading her kindle :blush: ).

I agree with the OP, you go to football and you do expect to hear strong language, but it's language for the sake of it in the last few years and giving pelters to our own players often for little or no reason. For me it's not so much the words but the aggressive nature of it.

I can remember going season after season to almost every away game in the early 90's, plenty of language and loads of banter but never anywhere near as bad as the aggressive nature you hear it the last few years. Northampton last year springs to mind, hardly a local derby.
    It's because no-one takes ecstacy anymore like they did in the early 90s!! :smiley:
    I took one on the coach on the way to Newcastle for the 4 3 game, just as we stopped at Catterick for a beer. Had another half just as we got to the ground and left the other half for when we got back on after the game. Was a great day out all round
    I'm not gonna lie. That's the best thing I've read on this thread in the 7 years I've been a member

Pretty much, felt a bit ropey as we got back to Bexleyheath. I must have been going ballistic when we scored our winner, I remember a woman tapping her husband/partner and pointing at me and laughing.
    On my worst night (or best, depending on your point of view), people were chucking ice cubes at me as I lay obliterated on the sofa at The Cross in Kings Cross. The bouncer told my friends to get me to leave. I obliged. I got in a cab and the cab driver wanted me in the front seat because he was an illegal cab driver. He was playing Annie Lennox, no more I love you's. I was in a bad place.

At that point I would've taken getting off the coach in Bexleyheath after a 4-3 away win.

Actually, no, I would've needed to be dropped off at anchor and hope lane, bexleyheath would've made it difficult to get home
  • Options
    cabbles said:

cabbles said:

cabbles said:

Rob7Lee said:

Pretty much, felt a bit ropey as we got back to Bexleyheath. I must have been going ballistic when we scored our winner, I remember a woman tapping her husband/partner and pointing at me and laughing.
    On my worst night (or best, depending on your point of view), people were chucking ice cubes at me as I lay obliterated on the sofa at The Cross in Kings Cross. The bouncer told my friends to get me to leave. I obliged. I got in a cab and the cab driver wanted me in the front seat because he was an illegal cab driver. He was playing Annie Lennox, no more I love you's. I was in a bad place.

At that point I would've taken getting off the coach in Bexleyheath after a 4-3 away win.

Actually, no, I would've needed to be dropped off at anchor and hope lane, bexleyheath would've made it difficult to get home
    You was on the coach for the 4-3 as well cabbles.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

So is it just the C word that people are getting the jump about (in swearing only).

The use of that word now is no more shocking than some of the other swear words were 10/20 years ago. Language evolves and the shocking use of shit and fuckers of yesteryear barely register today.

The same as C*** won't raise an eyebrow soon.

It is just another word.

Maybe in the company you keep...
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    clb74 said:

cabbles said:

cabbles said:

cabbles said:

Rob7Lee said:

One thing's for sure, you certainly wouldn't get Annie Lennox, no more I love you's on an away coach. Maverick, twister and the full 90 minutes of the 2-0 win against Millwall in the snow yes, but not Annie lennox
  • Options
    cabbles said:

clb74 said:

cabbles said:

cabbles said:

cabbles said:

Rob7Lee said:

One thing's for sure, you certainly wouldn't get Annie Lennox, no more I love you's on an away coach. Maverick, twister and the full 90 minutes of the 2-0 win against Millwall in the snow yes, but not Annie lennox
    Never know mate
    Couple of weird songs on the jukebox in the dog and bone Saturday.
    You could also play no more I loves you on the way home from a 4-0 away defeat
  • Options
    clb74 said:

cabbles said:

clb74 said:

cabbles said:

cabbles said:

cabbles said:

Rob7Lee said:

Never know mate
    Couple of weird songs on the jukebox in the dog and bone Saturday.
    You could also play no more I loves you on the way home from a 4-0 away defeat
    I lost count of the amount of times I saw Maverick on the coach during the 90s
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cabbles said:

Rob7Lee said:

Saucy
  • Options
    I haven't read the whole thread so I may be repeating something, maybe not - Swisdom, were you around in the 70s - 80s ? Behaviour in football grounds has improved beyond belief since those days. I would be more surprised if I went to a game and heard no swearing.
  • Options
    We didn't swear in the 90s
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

So is it just the C word that people are getting the jump about (in swearing only).

The use of that word now is no more shocking than some of the other swear words were 10/20 years ago. Language evolves and the shocking use of shit and fuckers of yesteryear barely register today.

The same as C*** won't raise an eyebrow soon.

It is just another word.

No, it's about a bunch of twats that are so into their selves that they have no consideration for their fellow supporters who may be young, old or disabled. They are so wrapped up in their own self importance that they behave in a manor that spoils the enjoyment of others.

They are the reason the word C**** was invented in the first place.
  • Options

I haven't read the whole thread so I may be repeating something, maybe not - Swisdom, were you around in the 70s - 80s ? Behaviour in football grounds has improved beyond belief since those days. I would be more surprised if I went to a game and heard no swearing.

I guess due to the unique circumstances of the club exiled to Selhurst, and its incredibly focused support, my impression is that we had very little of that element in the late 80s and early 90s.

I was there for "Battle of the Bridge" but with all the madness and violence from the Chelsea fans, there was little coming from the Charlton fans. Other away matches, rather than shouting abuse and c*nt at everyone, everyone was singing about The Valley
  • Options
    CLB74 is a c***.
  • Options

I was there for "Battle of the Bridge" but with all the madness and violence from the Chelsea fans, there was little coming from the Charlton fans.
    Err, the Chelsea fans that were in our end got a bit of a hiding.
  • Options

CLB74 is a c***.

Keyboard warrior
  • Options

Walking to the ground some prick was actually punching parked cars.
    Whoever he was he thought he was hard where in reality he is a total wanker

Isn't there already a thread about being really angry and punching people's vehicles?
  • Options

Walking to the ground some prick was actually punching parked cars.
    Whoever he was he thought he was hard where in reality he is a total wanker

Isn't there already a thread about being really angry and punching people's vehicles?
    Think that was a kick
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2017

cabbles said:

cabbles said:

Rob7Lee said:

If we can get the numbers, I'd be right up for an away game where we all get on the pills on the coach and generally have a lovely time. It might even cheer up some of the angry young chaps who follow us these days.
  • Options
    HandG said:

cabbles said:

cabbles said:

Rob7Lee said:

If we can get the numbers, I'd be right up for an away game where we all get on the pills on the coach and generally have a lovely time. It might even cheer up some of the angry young chaps who follow us these days.
    Would love to but I'll be 50 before too long and it would probably kill me.
  • Options
    edited September 2017

I was there for "Battle of the Bridge" but with all the madness and violence from the Chelsea fans, there was little coming from the Charlton fans.
    They did and served them right for conning the stewards / old bill that they were Charlton and got an escort round the pitch for some aggro in our end. Unfortunately for them that's where our lads who were happy to have a ruck were located and with the fencing then in place there was no escape so they were on a hiding to nothing.

Back on thread sounds as if last Saturdsy was a bit like Palarse in the League cup 2 years ago.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    I wasn't there but believe ut was the same last season. Cue a load of posters complaining about the swearing

My daughter was party to some colourful language at Welling on Saturday. Wasn't sure if she was taking notice or not but when she got home she said to my wife "mummy, there were some men standing behind us and I think they were swearing"

Remind me not to invite Cardinal Sin again.
    Fucking cheek.
  • Options

HandG said:

cabbles said:

cabbles said:

Rob7Lee said:

This is true. I thought I was going to have to call an ambulance the other week when you were running for the train.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

They did and served them right for conning the stewards / old bill that they were Charlton and got an escort round the pitch for some aggro in our end. Unfortunately for them that's where our lads who were happy to have a ruck were located and with the fencing then in place there was no escape so they were on a hiding to nothing.

Back on thread sounds as if last Saturdsy was a bit like Palarse in the League cup 2 years ago.
    It really wasn't.
  • Options

HandG said:

cabbles said:

cabbles said:

Rob7Lee said:

This is true. I thought I was going to have to call an ambulance the other week when you were running for the train.
    Come and play football with us on Sunday evening, we'll soon see who'll be blowing out their arse first!
  • Options
    everyone is over the moon when smokes are used at a protest?, or people go on the pitch or swear, but it happens at gillingham and like every large following away game we have the same conversations on here the next day, as for videoing supporters and showing it to the club, that's fine but in future don't expect people to join in with protests etc. you cant have fans play up one week and behave perfectly the next, i do think that there should be older and people with kids section as these type of games, even if we arranged it ourselves most would respect it.