Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Come on, Nick Pope!

Comments

• Options
    One thing I've noticed the last few games is the fact that when he was with us... People would constantly moan that the ball would bounce right off him and that a better Striker would take advantage of it.

Havent seen that happen once to him over the last few games, has really gathered the ball well
  • Options
    He did have a problem with straight low shots for a while, I don't know why. He never had that problem in the U-21's. Fantastic with crosses though.
  • Options
    Physically he looks a different person, has filled out massively, has a presence about him he never had before. Working with Heaton has rubbed off on his handling
  • Options
    Rothko said:

Physically he looks a different person, has filled out massively, has a presence about him he never had before. Working with Heaton has rubbed off on his handling

Surprised he's stepped up - seemed to lose confidence at Charlton. Pleased for him.
  • Options
    Far better than anything we currently have.

That includes Amos & Phillips.
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

He wasn't great at times at Charlton as I think the fans started getting to him - did very well out on loan.

Any young keeper suffers from the stupid argument that it's too much of a risk to put a young keeper in goal. They often get cut very little slack.

Pope was given grief by some of our fans at Charlton and the same argument has been trotted out for Phillips.

I did hate his ability to drop shots straight at him... something Phillips also does.

I think Phillips needs that loan to get some regular game time, with a recall clause of course.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2017
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

He wasn't great at times at Charlton as I think the fans started getting to him - did very well out on loan.

Any young keeper suffers from the stupid argument that it's too much of a risk to put a young keeper in goal. They often get cut very little slack.

Pope was given grief by some of our fans at Charlton and the same argument has been trotted out for Phillips.

He was very good before he left, not perfect, but if he had struggled, there's no way a PL side would have signed a keeper in a team just relegated to L1!
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

He was very good before he left, not perfect, but if he had struggled, there's no way a PL side would have signed a keeper in a team just relegated to L1!
    Burnley saw for themselves how good he was when we played them in the final match of that season - despite our losing 3-0, Pope played very well indeed making some terrific saves. Maybe their decision to sign him was made by that performance, in that game?

• Options
    The right place at the right time. Heaton has a good injury record, so could easily have gone another season playing every PL fixture, but Nick has been given a chance and grabbed it.
  • Options
    Good for him. When players leave in the right way - and he did - I wish them all the success in the world.

That said, just another reason to get rid of our toxic management asap so we can enjoy players like Pope for a bit longer instead of just having to watch any promising player sold off as soon as he breaks into the first team.
  • Options
    Glad he’s showing the promise he had when he was on loan at York where he looked absolutely unbeatable at times. Shame the boo boys never gave him a chance
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

Dazzler21 said:

Burnley saw for themselves how good he was when we played them in the final match of that season - despite our losing 3-0, Pope played very well indeed making some terrific saves. Maybe their decision to sign him was made by that performance, in that game?

Indeed, I don't recall anyone else being linked to Pope, so that must have been a major factor. For that matter, was anyone else linked with JBG?
  • Options
    Another clean sheet today... Burnley have only lost one in nine - How does Tom Heaton come back in Goal with that sort of form
  • Options
    Assist by Gudmundsson in the game too.
  • Options

One thing I've noticed the last few games is the fact that when he was with us... People would constantly moan that the ball would bounce right off him and that a better Striker would take advantage of it.

Havent seen that happen once to him over the last few games, has really gathered the ball well

Shows what good coaching can do.
  • Options
    Well done Nick. He’s serving up my humble pie aplenty.
  • Options
    Interviewed by Chapman in sports report on 5 live and sounded very articulate.
  • Options
    Big mention on MOTD

We didn't know how good he was, I really did rate him.....other than those bounce backs.

Looked class today, 25 yrs old, he will go far hopefully.

Premier stars of the future and all that....
  • Options
    Outside bet for the England squad in Russia?