Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

First Hand Experience of Hurricane Irma

Comments

• Options
    Bloody hell Pete that sounds like a nightmare. Good luck mate and stay safe.
  • Options
    Pete, I can only echo what others have said, from Georgie and me stay safe and remember your British (last bit in jest but we are thinking of you here). Keep us all updated mate.
  • Options
    Best of luck - puts things like football in perspective.
  • Options
    Thinking of you - take care.
  • Options
    This is spooky. I was wondering how you were doing Peter, just 10 minutes before I found this thread. I can't really explain but I was thinking back to the trip to Belgium and ahead to the floodlit game against Wigan next Tuesday and about how its difficult in the present era to be missing these floodlit games, always something special, in the memory at least. You have gone to extremes to distract yourself for this one and Southend too! Good luck, and I look forward to your account on the other side.
  • Options
    Just to echo whats been said, thinking of you (and everyone else in the storm path). It sounds like you have a good enough refuge you have. Hunker down and have a couple of beers. We're all with you.
  • Options
    Stay safe Pete. Good luck for the next 48 hours.
  • Options
    NugNug
    edited September 2017
    Glad you have found a place Peter and supporting some others.

Most up to date forecast has Naples on the gulf coast taking a direct hit and in fact the water below the Keys is the warmest in the Atlantic and is expected to fuel the hurricane before it hits Florida. Very worried for my mother in law who lives there in a care home. Storm surge is supposed to hit at high tide on Sunday.
  • Options
    Nug said:

Most up to date forecast has Naples on the gulf coast taking a direct hit and in fact the water below the Keys is the warmest in the Atlantic and is expected to fuel the hurricane before it hits Florida. Very worried for my mother in law who lives there in a care home. Storm surge is supposed to hit at high tide on Sunday.

Has she been evacuated Nug?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Sorry you're caught up in this. My son evacuated from the Stuart area to Jacksonville last night up Interstate 95, ( took him all night) and will still need to go further, he thinks. One problem is he has a dog with him, and few hotels will take pets. Like everyone else, we just have to cross our fingers and say our prayers. Latest I hear is that there will be strengthening back to a cat 5 before it comes ashore. Best of luck.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Nug said:

Not so far. The home is a new build, 2 storey. They have staff staying round the clock rather than shifts and will move everyone up to the 2nd floor if there is flooding. She has late stage Parkinsons so has limited mobility. Rather worrying. I guess my brother in law has rented a minivan and has filled it up in case of an emergency to get out of there, not quite sure what the f**k he's waiting for!

I would say she's safer in the care home though rather than at his house which I think will disappear if there's a direct hit to Naples, it's an older home, he also has a shipping container in his backyard which he uses as a workshop, can see that thing flying down the road. Sister in law is in Tampa, my inclination would have been to drive up there, expect the storm will have lost some power by the time it gets there.
  • Options
    You certainly drew the short straw when you booked this holiday. Good luck to you. Look on the bright side - you'll have a good story to tell your grandkids.
  • Options
    limeygent said:

Sorry you're caught up in this. My son evacuated from the Stuart area to Jacksonville last night up Interstate 95, ( took him all night) and will still need to go further, he thinks. One problem is he has a dog with him, and few hotels will take pets. Like everyone else, we just have to cross our fingers and say our prayers. Latest I hear is that there will be strengthening back to a cat 5 before it comes ashore. Best of luck.

Hope he's okay limey. Have friends making the journey north from Jax with kids and pets. They've posted lots of pictures of them just sitting on the highway.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

limeygent said:

Hope he's okay limey. Have friends making the journey north from Jax with kids and pets. They've posted lots of pictures of them just sitting on the highway.
    Thanks SD, he's got a B&B in Savannah from tomorrow, hoping they don't get evacuated from there.
  • Options
    Nug said:

SDAddick said:

Nug said:

Not so far. The home is a new build, 2 storey. They have staff staying round the clock rather than shifts and will move everyone up to the 2nd floor if there is flooding. She has late stage Parkinsons so has limited mobility. Rather worrying. I guess my brother in law has rented a minivan and has filled it up in case of an emergency to get out of there, not quite sure what the f**k he's waiting for!

I would say she's safer in the care home though rather than at his house which I think will disappear if there's a direct hit to Naples, it's an older home, he also has a shipping container in his backyard which he uses as a workshop, can see that thing flying down the road. Sister in law is in Tampa, my inclination would have been to drive up there, expect the storm will have lost some power by the time it gets there.
    Hope your family are ok @Nug

You and your wife and son safely at home in England, I hope?
  • Options
    Nug said:

Hope your family stay safe Nug
  • Options
    Davo55 said:

Nug said:

SDAddick said:

Nug said:

Hope your family are ok @Nug

You and your wife and son safely at home in England, I hope?
    Yes they all got back a week ago thanks. My Mrs is beside herself at the moment though with the latest predicted path. I expect as they wake up over there this morning they may have a rethink although it's likely too late to move anywhere now.
  • Options
    This is what happens when you book holidays during the football season ;0)

A friend was due to fly out to Miami on Thursday. BA rebooked the flight for next week but if Jose decides to take the same direction as Irma I doubt whether this flight will go ahead.

It's all very very frightening.
    Best of luck to all those out there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My nephew and his family live in Fort Myers and have boarded up and are staying in there home. They have also said how calm the weather is and it all feels so surreal.

Hope everyone stays safe.
  • Options

My nephew and his family live in Fort Myers and have boarded up and are staying in there home. They have also said how calm the weather is and it all feels so surreal.

Good luck to them that's also right in line to get a hit.
  • Options
    Thank you for sharing your story, i know this must be a nerve wracking time but it puts things into perspective. I wish you all the luck in the world and hope of the back of this you will look back on it as an experience.

Keep Safe Peter
  • Options

I hope they evacuate, likely a direct hit there.
  • Options
    According to CNN, there is still time to get out, and the roads are fairly clear. Sounds like Miami won't see the worst now. Stau safe people.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Nug said:

SDAddick said:

Nug said:

Ugh man that's so tough. Yeah it sounds like she's in the best place she can be by and large.

Limey I hope your son is good in Savanah and by the time Irma makes it up there she had weakened considerably.

Southampton hoping for the best for your family as well. Hopefully they're listening to local officials when they make their decision to stay.

It's so harrowing to think of so many people with families in the way of this thing, let alone Peter being in the middle of it. Just sitting here it's so surreal to think that as this thing hits land and moves north it will hit the CL extended family, from Peter and Nug and Southampton's family in the south, to my close friends and Nug's brother in law in Tampa, then I still have a lot of friends in Gainesville (where they're preparing for a lot of rain and wind but hopefully should be okay overall), then up to limey's son in Savanah, and I have good mates and family in Atlanta too but I think they'll be ok. Apologies if I've missed anyone out.

Thinking of everyone and their loved ones.
  • Options
    Pete, Good luck.
  • Options
    No way should anyone who has the chance to evacuate try to ride this thing out.
  • Options
    Best of luck Pete, stay safe mate.