Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Myanmar/Burma

edited September 2017 in Not Sports Related
I thought this was a hugely Buddhist country?

This Rohingya crisis is showing the so-called peaceful religion's darkest side. It's absolutely horrific and is bordering on becoming a genocidal situation.

Wirathu calls himself the Buddhist Bin Laden... How can someone claiming to be the equivalent of such a man be praised and believed by so many. He is souring the world view on another religion. Why is it that people like this cannot just live and let live when their religious belief systems differ?

Does anyone else think the UN needs to get involved to stop the waves of murder that have begun to occur. Surely the murder of innocent Muslims needs to be stopped, just as it should for anyone of anyone being attacked or killed purely for their belief system?

Why are Pakistan and Bangladesh not offering asylum to these innocents as they try to flee genocide? It's not the first time that Muslim countries have not offered asylum to Muslims in need.

Mods - Feel free to close if this doesn't seem appropriate.

Comments

• Options
    It's not so simple Dazzler. The Burmese will argue that it is the result of Islamic terrorism that they have cracked down the Muslim population.
  • Options

Bloody religion.

This is where I seem to arrive every time I see these stories.
  • Options
    All Gods and deities are evidently wankers.

They can all form an orderly queue and kiss my arse.
  • Options

It's not so simple Dazzler. The Burmese will argue that it is the result of Islamic terrorism that they have cracked down the Muslim population.

That's the same argument used in revenge attacks in the UK.

You cannot attack innocents because of the guilty. That's like tv/movie villain logic.
  • Options
    what's all this changing the name of a country - its doing my head in. I've always known it as Burma & the new name doesn't register with me when I hear it now on the news.

Reminds me of the scene in "The Falklands Play" where they are discussing Zimbabwe....and they still refer to it as Rhodesia.

then to that list you can add Mumbai (Bombay) and a few others. It seems as soon as we leave a country they want to re-name it. I realise some are being changed back to an original or local name, but it does rankle with me. Another entry to the "things that annoy you" thread.
  • Options

what's all this changing the name of a country - its doing my head in. I've always known it as Burma & the new name doesn't register with me when I hear it now on the news.

Reminds me of the scene in "The Falklands Play" where they are discussing Zimbabwe....and they still refer to it as Rhodesia.

then to that list you can add Mumbai (Bombay) and a few others. It seems as soon as we leave a country they want to re-name it. I realise some are being changed back to an original or local name, but it does rankle with me. Another entry to the "things that annoy you" thread.

Do you still call us Cerletone?
  • Options

Absolutely. How dare they.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The current situation is largely a legacy of the era when Myanmar (Burma) was a part of the British Empire and the decisions made at that time regarding the movement of people and governance. Doesn't excuse the actions of those involved today or the decision of ASSK to turn a blind eye.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

This Rohingya crisis is showing the so-called peaceful religion's darkest side. It's absolutely horrific and is bordering on becoming a genocidal situation.

Wirathu calls himself the Buddhist Bin Laden... How can someone claiming to be the equivalent of such a man be praised and believed by so many. He is souring the world view on another religion. Why is it that people like this cannot just live and let live when their religious belief systems differ?

Does anyone else think the UN needs to get involved to stop the waves of murder that have begun to occur. Surely the murder of innocent Muslims needs to be stopped, just as it should for anyone of anyone being attacked or killed purely for their belief system?

Why are Pakistan and Bangladesh not offering asylum to these innocents as they try to flee genocide? It's not the first time that Muslim countries have not offered asylum to Muslims in need.

Horrific. To be fair, I don't think it is the darker side of the religion that is showing but the darker side of a people who have consistently been subject to military dictatorship and oppression and violence based on ethnic identity. Although the country is nominally "Buddhist" the military leaders (who continue in power) are committed only to the retention of power and observe no values other than those. I am not aware of any Buddhist teachings that could be interpreted as in any way promoting actions like these - and I am not aware of any religious leaders approving or justifying what is happening. Sadly many who would identify themselves as Buddhist practise only a very token observation which has more to do with ethnic identity, incense and worship than actually following teachings.
  • Options

Well, in this instance, it's a move away from the names imposed on countries/cities/territories during colonialism. Otherwise, Chennai would still be called Madras, Bangladesh would still be East Pakistan, Tanzania would still be called Tanganyika, Burkina Faso would still be Upper Volta, Indonesia the Dutch East Indies, etc etc etc.
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

Horrific. To be fair, I don't think it is the darker side of the religion that is showing but the darker side of a people who have consistently been subject to military dictatorship and oppression and violence based on ethnic identity. Although the country is nominally "Buddhist" the military leaders (who continue in power) are committed only to the retention of power and observe no values other than those. I am not aware of any Buddhist teachings that could be interpreted as in any way promoting actions like these - and I am not aware of any religious leaders approving or justifying what is happening. Sadly many who would identify themselves as Buddhist practise only a very token observation which has more to do with ethnic identity, incense and worship than actually following teachings.
    But at the heart of the Buddhist philosophy is that of merit making....therefore you can do bad as long as you atone for it through merit making. This is brilliantly illustrated in Orwell's Burmese Days with the character of U Po Kyin.
  • Options
    As for the subject matter at hand - it's awful. It's basically ethnic/religious cleansing, somewhat akin to what went on in Kosovo.
  • Options
    "You most likely know it as Myanmar, but it will always be Burma to me."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAlinvw2Rb0
  • Options
    Seinfeld....you can't beat it.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

I think that's a little unfair, these are countries that have huge amounts of poverty themselves, you can't give what you don't have. Bangladesh have certainly taken huge numbers of Rohingya in the past.

It is ridiculous that Aung San Suu Kyi has not had her Nobel Peace Prize withdrawn, this is not the first time this has happened under her watch. I know she can not control the military, but if she put the same effort into trying, rather than focusing on stopping a conversation happening in the UN, we might see some progress.
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

I think that's a little unfair, these are countries that have huge amounts of poverty themselves, you can't give what you don't have. Bangladesh have certainly taken huge numbers of Rohingya in the past.

It is ridiculous that Aung San Suu Kyi has not had her Nobel Peace Prize withdrawn, this is not the first time this has happened under her watch. I know she can not control the military, but if she put the same effort into trying, rather than focusing on stopping a conversation happening in the UN, we might see some progress.
    terrific post Stu .. there is/was a long and detailed analysis of the Burmese/Myanmar situation in last Saturday's (2 September) Times .. too late now probably but well worth a read if available
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

"You most likely know it as Myanmar, but it will always be Burma to me."

like this place

https://youtu.be/Vwa_7dUo3uE

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just been looking at flights to there and then come on here to this thread. Thought it was gonna be someone asking for travel advise.

Religion has absolutely nothing to do with this in reality. It's about nationalism and immigration.
  • Options

All Gods and deities are evidently wankers.

They can all form an orderly queue and kiss my arse.

No they can't. Because not a single one of them exists.
  • Options
    DRAddick said:

Just been looking at flights to there and then come on here to this thread. Thought it was gonna be someone asking for travel advise.

Religion has absolutely nothing to do with this in reality. It's about nationalism and immigration.

A beautiful country, you'll be perfectly safe, if you can morally ignore whats going on in the western provinces.
  • Options
    To see genocide being carried out is as bad as it gets - news reports are truly appalling. The treatment of the Rohingya is beyond comprehension.