Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Trial Use of Sin Bins Next Season in English Football

I don't know whether this is "hot off of the press" or I am behind the times, but sin bins will be used next season in English football.

I went to watch my local team yesterday, Olney Town, who play at the first level of senior football, in the United Counties league. The match day referee, with whom I spoke before and after the game, is also the Head of Discipline in the Football Association. He told me that there will be a season long trial of the use of sin bins, which will be carried out by 18 leagues up and down the country, on a voluntary basis.

The sin bin will be used solely for cases of dissent, where otherwise the player would have been cautioned. Cases of dissent account for a quarter of all cautions; all cautions number 75k each season. The logic behind this move is that at present the "award" of a caution is likely to have no affect on the outcome of the game on that day and therefore there is no focus by player or club to cut out such offences. It is true that players will be fined at a later date for a caution, but it is believed that many clubs pay the fine on behalf of the player. The thinking is that if a player is sent to the sin bin (the period is 10 minutes of playing time), then that could affect the outcome of the game and that ought to change the mind set of both player and club.

The other interesting part of this trial is that the same player can be sin binned a second time in the same match for a second "bout" of dissent. The difference however is that once he/she has served the second sentence of a 10 minute absence, he/or she will no longer be able to take part in the remainder of the game, but will be substituted, assuming that there is an unused substitute on the bench.

Food for thought !!

Comments

• Options
    Interesting! Perhaps they could use this for diving too.
  • Options

Interesting! Perhaps they could use this for diving too.

The Head of Discipline at the FA did say that he personally wanted the trial to be extended to diving (or simulation as he called it) and for 10 yard encroachment but it was thought that they wanted to keep the trial simple in the early stages and assess the impact upon the biggest area of cautions, ie dissent
  • Options
    I like the idea and it's good to test it first
  • Options
    Sounds ok to me.
  • Options

No no nooooo!!

Football is a simple game and yet people seemingly keep trying to think of ways to make it more complicated. First we get VAR, now we get sin bins, what next? Will we have the clock stopped when the ball is out of play and time outs each half, might as well break the game up into quarters too.

Agree.
  • Options
    Where is the Sin Bin though? i.e. Does the player go and sit on the bench or do they stand in the tunnel?

(Using the Valley as an example)
  • Options
    edited August 2017

No no nooooo!!

Football is a simple game and yet people seemingly keep trying to think of ways to make it more complicated. First we get VAR, now we get sin bins, what next? Will we have the clock stopped when the ball is out of play and time outs each half, might as well break the game up into quarters too.

The ball's only in play for about 60 minutes per game so stopping the clock wouldn't be a bad idea.

Edit: Forgot to say: yes, football ia a simple game but unfortunately there is so much money in the game now that players' discipline and behaviour on the pitch has become deplorable in their win-at-all costs attitude.

As for sin bins, bring 'em on.

Dissent - sin bin
    Two yellows - sin bin
    Each subsequent yellow - another binning
    Offences normally punished with a straight red card - bin ...except for ...

Violent conduct - red card.

Players could still get suspended for repeated indiscipline as they are now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

No no nooooo!!

Agree.
    Whether this change by trial turns out to be a worthwhile game changer is something to be assessed in 2 years time. We shouldn't, in my view, ignore the opportunities to trial change.

I can recall two major trials in my days (many moons ago) when I was a linesman on the Conference League (now National League). Neither were instigated after the trial, and sadly I never got any feedback as to why the changes were not implemented. The first was a trial at having only off-side within a line drawn right across the pitch as an extension of the 18 yard box (penalty area). The second, I guess based on the premise that the game is primarily paid with the feet rather than the hands, was that are restarts when the ball had left the field of play on the side lines were undertaken by kicking the ball into play rather than taking a throw-in.
  • Options
    You're saying that a quarter of yellow cards are for dissent and I expect that's right. But if I read what you have said correctly, under the trial, dissent would no longer count as a yellow card at all? From memory at the moment a player gets a ban after 5 yellow cards before whatever the cut-off date is and then further triggers at 10 & 15, is that right? Well, they'd have to reduce these numbers to, say, 4, 7 and 11 otherwise other offences could be committed with less prospect of a forthcoming ban.

Also, a bit of dissent right at the end of a match would presumably suffer a much lesser penalty and players would not have much to worry about with a bit of ref abuse with a couple of seconds remaining on the clock. (Or after the final whistle.) So, would sin bin unspent time be carried forward to the next match?

As a concept I'm all for it but has it been thought through? Unintended consequences and all that!
  • Options

Where is the Sin Bin though? i.e. Does the player go and sit on the bench or do they stand in the tunnel?

Given the level of football that this trial will take place, I would guess that it would be a virtual sin bin rather than a new physical structure.
  • Options
    Kevin Nolan has been saying this (literally) for years. Good idea to trial it, lets see how it goes.

• Options
    cafcfan said:

You're saying that a quarter of yellow cards are for dissent and I expect that's right. But if I read what you have said correctly, under the trial, dissent would no longer count as a yellow card at all? From memory at the moment a player gets a ban after 5 yellow cards before whatever the cut-off date is and then further triggers at 10 & 15, is that right? Well, they'd have to reduce these numbers to, say, 4, 7 and 11 otherwise other offences could be committed with less prospect of a forthcoming ban.

Also, a bit of dissent right at the end of a match would presumably suffer a much lesser penalty and players would not have much to worry about with a bit of ref abuse with a couple of seconds remaining on the clock. (Or after the final whistle.) So, would sin bin unspent time be carried forward to the next match?

As a concept I'm all for it but has it been thought through? Unintended consequences and all that!

Interesting thoughts @cafcfan. As I stated, the idea is that punishment is metered out on the day of the offence (by reducing the offending team to 10 men for 10 minutes), which could turn out to be a potential game changer; and therefore players and teams might wish to take action to reduce the level and frequency of dissent.

I don't necessarily buy into your argument about dissent late in a match. I doubt that players would be thinking "It is now the 85th minute, lets give the referee some dissent". It more a about a change of mind set whereby players naturally curb their anger because of the potential consequences on the outcome of the game....just my views
  • Options

Ours will be the sin sofa.
  • Options
    I've advocated sin bins for a long time especially for silly second yellows. For instance in our prem relegation season .. 1st game of the srason at West Ham Traore got a yellow for dissent and then kicked the ball away and for a second yellow and was off .. this was far more worthy of a 10 / 30 minute ban
  • Options
    I'm sorry but why oh why do the powers that be feel the need to keep tinkering with what is the greatest sport on the planet watched by millions.

It's fabulous as it currently is. Leave the fuck alone. All the rules are in place and all that's needed is for referees to be given the support to implement what we have in place already.

No no and thrice no.
  • Options
    Talal said:

Ours will be the sin sofa.
    Or laundry bin

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2017

I'm sorry but why oh why do the powers that be feel the need to keep tinkering with what is the greatest sport on the planet watched by millions.

It's fabulous as it currently is. Leave the fuck alone. All the rules are in place and all that's needed is for referees to be given the support to implement what we have in place already.

No no and thrice no.

Mt view is that the things that really irritate me at football is dissent,diving,cheating. If the sin bin is a mechanism that mostly eradicates that then in my mind it makes it a much better spectacle.
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

I've advocated sin bins for a long time especially for silly second yellows. For instance in our prem relegation season .. 1st game of the srason at West Ham Traore got a yellow for dissent and then kicked the ball away and for a second yellow and was off .. this was far more worthy of a 10 / 30 minute ban

I think he should have been banned for the season
  • Options

No no and thrice no.

Perhaps we should go back to no substitutes? No offsides? Allowing backpasses?

I think it is important that the game evolves.

As another poster has mentioned above, with the money that is in the modern game referees need more tools to stamp out some of the indiscipline that comes from the win-at-all-costs attitude displayed by some players.

Dissent is the only yellow card that they can do this for though unfortunately as that is the only 100% clear cut caution which is not influenced by the other team. It should also allow for consistancy as a referee will hopefully call the same 'thing' dissent for both teams, even if that 'thing' varies by referee.
  • Options
    Derek1952 said:

I have posted this before,but I think it should be a straight red card for taking off your shirt when scoring a goal.

Is that in both the men's and women's games
  • Options

No no and thrice no.

Mt view is that the things that really irritate me at football is dissent,diving,cheating. If the sin bin is a mechanism that mostly eradicates that then in my mind it makes it a much better spectacle.
    A sin bin is not required.

The referee has a yellow card in his pocket. Get it out and use it. If a referee is hounded by five or six players all screaming at him then book the lot. If a player cheats and dives. Book him. Managers will soon start to tell players to stop if they are continually booked. We might go through a short period where teams are reduced to nine or ten purely for dissent or cheating but I guarantee it will soon stop.

The problem we have is that players don't show respect to the officials. Give the support to the referee to eradicate that.

• Options
    Derek1952 said:

I have posted this before,but I think it should be a straight red card for taking off your shirt when scoring a goal.

Surely only if you are wearing nipple tassels.

• Options

No no and thrice no.

A sin bin is not required.

The referee has a yellow card in his pocket. Get it out and use it. If a referee is hounded by five or six players all screaming at him then book the lot. If a player cheats and dives. Book him. Managers will soon start to tell players to stop if they are continually booked. We might go through a short period where teams are reduced to nine or ten purely for dissent or cheating but I guarantee it will soon stop.

The problem we have is that players don't show respect to the officials. Give the support to the referee to eradicate that.

That method clearly isnt 'working' now.
    I agree re the officials.
    If you look at other sport that have tinkered/evolved , the two that spring to mind is cricket and rugby , and especially with replays - this has added to the spectator enjoyment rather than diminished it.
    As someone else has said, football has lagged behind other sports in this respect, i can only really think about the shaving foam 10 yard line and possibly no back passes to goalie in the last 10 years, maybe longer. Its time to move on and improve like all other sports are - sin bins , to me, is a huge improvement - its certainly worked in Rugby where the opposing team try to take advantage of the 10 minutes where they have a man advantage and maybe play a slightly more attacking game, and theres almost a countdown to the player coming back. It will add more excitement and nuance to the game and will force tactical change midway through games also.
  • Options
    Derek1952 said:

Why? It seems to me to be quite harmless, just a bit of exuberance. The ball is out of play, what's the harm?
  • Options

Stig said:

Derek1952 said:

Why? It seems to me to be quite harmless, just a bit of exuberance. The ball is out of play, what's the harm?
    Is tgat Graeme Le Saux?!