Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dave Tarpey

Comments

• Options
    Is there any point in taking a 'punt' on a lower league player when we have an acadamey graduate that is coming back from injury next week that has proven he can score at the same level?
  • Options
    sounds like a private eye character ...we ll be signing Eric Narggs soon
  • Options
    Is he capable of playing up front on his own in the third tier?
  • Options
    Proper Super Clive Mendonca goal, that one!

• Options
    If we were going to sign a part time player, then he needs to be signed in time to do a full pre-season with us.
    He'll be chasing shadows in League One otherwise.

Anyway, if he's already 28 and outstanding at that level, how come League clubs haven't taken a punt on him a few years ago?

• Options
    Are we still after Steve Portway?
  • Options

Are we still after Steve Portway?

Portwaywas was too good for charlton. Getting back to tarpey, the first season we saw him maidenhead were in a relegation dogfight, he wadnt special then but last season he came to the fore. At the time they had a better player called danny green (no not that one) who cleared off to margate, not sure where he is now.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Saw Maidenhead in a PSF when he 1st signed and he didn't stand out. He is now 29, needing to convert to full-time and step up 2 or 3 levels. Too small to play lone frontman. It's a NO from me. Peterborough as mentioned elsewhere tend to buy non-league players at start of their careers not the end.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sign him up
  • Options
    Take it from me 'tarps' as he is know isnt good enough for our level.
  • Options
    What @Chippycafc said.

Just hope he's signed before Fleet play them on Saturday ;-)
  • Options
    Looks like he would be better playing in a two-up-front formation rather than as a lone target man. Not seen him but highly sceptical that he could step up at this stage of his career. If he was 5 years younger, then maybe.
  • Options
    Very positive and full of confidence.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    I've no idea how good he is, but I've not seen Novak (at Charlton), finish anywhere near as good as Tarpey.
  • Options

I've no idea how good he is, but I've not seen Novak (at Charlton), finish anywhere near as good as Tarpey.

Agree, but Chris Dickson looked like Neymar when he was playing for the reserves. His You Tube videos were a lot more impressive than this bloke's.
  • Options
    2 pens & a free kick...we already have mr poty to do that. When tarpy scores 4 "normal" goals them I'll take notice.
  • Options
    Hat tricks don't count. I read that somewhere years ago.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Davo55 said:

Looks like he would be better playing in a two-up-front formation rather than as a lone target man. Not seen him but highly sceptical that he could step up at this stage of his career. If he was 5 years younger, then maybe.

This. He's got some lovely goals, but the first couple Henners posted were long balls lumped forward to him where he could use pace/strength/technique. As Nicky Ajose found out, it's not our style to sit deep and counter (even under Slade), and so using that pace and poachers instinct just isn't as transferable here.
  • Options

2 pens & a free kick...we already have mr poty to do that. When tarpy scores 4 "normal" goals them I'll take notice.

Did you miss the one where he ran onto it, turned the defender, went round the keeper and tapped it in. Not saying this guy is the answer at league one level but who have you seen even come close to doing that for us in the last 3-4 years?
  • Options
    A prospect whose name I can pronounce, is more than 11 years old, stands over 5ft 4 and can score goals ?

No chance of seeing him in Charlton shirt then.

• Options
    Gooden is the same size as Billy Clarke, not sure he could play up there on his own, Spend some money and get John Akinde from Barnet, last two seasons has scored 25 goals plus and only 26 years old, big and strong.
  • Options
    Sorry got John Akinde age wrong he is 28, last season 26 goals and one before 23 goals.
  • Options

Gooden is the same size as Billy Clarke, not sure he could play up there on his own, Spend some money and get John Akinde from Barnet, last two seasons has scored 25 goals plus and only 26 years old, big and strong.

Matt Gooden is 6'1" and is coming into his prime. Scores all sorts of goals.
  • Options
    Know for a fact that Millwall were going to sign him had they not gone up. Matt Godden would fit the bill, Rotherham offered £0.5m, but Roland is a tight arse so no chance.
  • Options
    BDL said:

Know for a fact that Millwall were going to sign him had they not gone up. Matt Godden would fit the bill, Rotherham offered £0.5m, but Roland is a tight arse so no chance.

Couple of old ebbfleet boys bring linked.
  • Options
    BDLBDL
    edited September 2017
    Given the way Sam Magri and Yado Mambo had him in their back pockets a couple of weeks back I'd say he will be this decades answer to the tiny bloke who joined Barnet from Welling...Terry wotsisname?