Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

netaddicks

edited October 2006 in General Charlton
i think its really sad, and i feel incredibly sad for trevor that netaddicks has taken a proper nose dive.

i'd go so far as to say that the netaddicks board is on a level with spurs now!

how 5 people can spoil it for trevor and everyone else who posts on there its terrible. i've tried to say my piece just now, and i know i'm wasting my breath, but who do they think they are.

i've tried to go on both boards and not show favouritism, but this one clearly wins hands down, with the topical debates about charlton and everything else, i just feel sorry for trevor who has been left with those idiots.

Comments

• Options
    Here here suz, you have to feel for trevor for sure. Its afka and lookies fault tho! This board is very well run imo, so it is difficult to look on NA and take it serious.
  • Options
    just posted another rant at them. i know i'm wasting my breath, but can't help it.

these men are supposed to be grown ups!
  • Options
    I've just been on there and was coming on here to start a topic called "Netaddicks" but you've beaten me to it Suzi!!!

I still go on there every now and then but I really don't know why anymore - habit? Have to say, this place can be pretty dull at times and I can't say that I particularly like the format - having to scroll down every time theres a new post on an old topic to see what it is (unless I'm doing something wrong!) - but at least the reasoned debate brings out the adult in people.
  • Options
    hmm..you may not be doing it right. all topics that have replies pop up to the top, and the colours change to show if you've read one or not.

when you click on a thread that has a new reply that you haven't read it opens and springs down to the point in that thread that you've read up to, so you can read the additional posts without having to scroll through again.

this has been a bit iffy the last day or so, but usually works for me.... is that what you mean?

one major advantage of this board to be honest, is that i hadn't noticed that much that there hadn't been a charlton game for a week or so, cos this board has been reasonably busy talking about lots of different issues, flags, england, korea, tours, fulham etc etc, netaddicks seems to lack the intelligence for people to have any other debate apart from name calling and charlton debates about who is a better supporter than another poster. all very childish, this board does seem a tad more grown up, but still with a cheeky light hearted feel running through it.
  • Options
    I wouldn't be surprised to learn i've been doing it all wrong - story of my life!

Anyway, I see you never posted anything under my "Addickted to the cause?" discussion. Come to think of it, not many did - I'm clearly that popular!
    *cheesy smiley grin thing*
  • Options
    I do look at NA but really only to see if there is anything that I should be following up on "officially". It is a bit like the Palace rivals board where most posters are on the BBS. I know Lookout and AFKA would be pleased with that comparison even if think that like me they would regret the decline of NA and feel for Trevor.

I think CL is more of a community and people are who you think they are. I've never met most of the posters but I know who they are and they know who I am so there is a level of trust and mutual respect. I also know AFKA will jump on any wind-up people and the away fans here are few and reasonable.
  • Options
    "I also know AFKA will jump on any wind-up people"

What are you suggesting Henry, that AFKA likes doing his gardening uphill?
  • Options
    I don't know. is his garden on a hill then.

I posted on that thread on NA. Don't know why I bother but I like to get things off my chest.
  • Options
    never really posted on their but read reguarly. It's a shame as a year of so ago it was a really good message board.
  • Options
    [cite] jimbrannin:[/cite]never really posted on their but read reguarly. It's a shame as a year of so ago it was a really good message board.

very true- I too feel very sorry for Trevor, however, the real difference is that AFKA and Lookout have a brief to really keep an eye on what goes on- approving membership, monitoring Ip addresses etc.

Another thing is that by regularly starting topics for discussion (AFKA's specialility), an element of control on the disscusion matter is kept.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2006
    You're 100% right Suze in what you've said. I haven't been on netaddicks for a long time now, not because I don't want to but simply because I don't have much access to the Internet right now and have enough trouble following what's going on here on a daily basis. But, I've gone on to see what all the fuss is about tonight and it's a mess! I never set out to polarise the Charlton online community, not a bit, but always felt that there is room for the good sites to work together. Unfortunately, netaddicks seems to be suffering a bit of late, but I think there are reasons for that, regardless of any other Charlton sites, whether Charlton Life, or Addickted.net or CAFC-FANS or The REAL CAFC FANS (splinter cell edition), The Judean People's Front or the People's Front of Judea. I for one hope Trevor and whoever else is involved can sort netaddicks out for the best.

Well, I and AFKA have said it before, but it's worth repeating: We only see Charlton Life as complementing the wealth of places for Charlton fans online and, if anything, simply attempting to raise the bar and push things forward with new techs and innovative ideas. Right now, the community is growing well and we have a lot more in store once we get settled and I finish some work commitments, which are presently making it hard for me to do what I want to do with this site. But in no way are we trying to impoverish other sites.

We are willing to work with anyone to make supporting Charlton better. That's the focus and aim. It is sad that some have ruined all the hard work that Trevor has done to build a sizable and active online community around CAFC. Sure it is regretful. I spent a lot of hours on netaddicks over the years and even did the logo banner for Trevor a couple of years back, which is still there. But when I set out to make this site, I saw that things could be even better for Charlton supporters if newer technologies were used (and perhaps saw the direction that some were looking to take netaddicks in).

The way I see it is that netaddicks lives and dies on the Rivals network. Rivals brings a massive user-base, on the premise that you sign up for your club and have access to banter with all other clubs. I think that's a great feature. When that works, it's brilliant. But, in operating the Charlton site on Rivals, you have to take the good with the bad. You have less control, if any, over the technologies that run the board and you have to deal with Rivals the company, who may not be as responsive to your requests as one would like. Because of the technology powering the Rivals boards, for example, it is difficult to build a community with any history beyond the user's memories. You publish a comment and then in a few days, it's off the first few pages and lost. There is no search (beyond google) and therefore only minimal accountability. Good discussions, like those during the Director's election, are lost. They can't be referenced at a later date. Organising group meets and various "Operations" is difficult because of this. There are no account pages, just a simple username, which makes people hard to trace and make accountable for their wind-ups. I'd say that because of this netaddicks encourages quips and fleeting remarks, by and large, though not exclusively. Rivals control the site, Trevor maintains it, so his hands are tied to a large extent (as far as I understand it). He can only firefight when the personas run rampant. Anyway, the bottom line is that it's up to Rivals when they decide they need to bring their message-boards up to date, or to offer their admins new features and, in this case, more advanced ways to control their boards for the benefit of the majority of users. Nonetheless, they are in control at the most fundamental level and they haven't done much over the years to evolve. Lastly, Rivals are a business and their message-boards are there to leverage advert revenue for their coffers (which is not illegal by any means) and to plug their other sites. Again, not Charlton for Charlton. And that's what we've tried to create.

Fundamentally, we set out to build something for the future, Charlton built and maintained (I'm sure Trevor shared such aims when he started netaddicks, before it was purchased by Rivals). In fact, the idea is that all of us have a share in making this site tick, whether you write articles, discuss or read. Anything that doesn't work, or is missing, ask for it. We don't have a massive user-base (which perhaps is a blessing at this stage), but we do have control (not just us admin, I mean all of us) and a tight user-base. And this has resulted in some great discussions over a range of topics. Bottom line, we can afford a site and a community where everyone has a say in it's direction, because the goal is an active Charlton community (and by extension a better CAFC), not outside interests or corporate advert revenue or ego or our politics or anything-else that might ruin the primary objective. Underlying this is the golden rule: everyone is accountable for their opinions, humour and behaviour towards others.

In terms of control of discussion matter, in my view, people are free to discuss whatever (football, politics, humour etc) they like as long as they are respectful to other members of the community. That is vital, as perhaps the situation at netaddicks is demonstrating now.

Finally, if you've read all of the above, I'd suggest a liquid lunch!
  • Options
    I never set out to polarise the Charlton online community

You haven't, far from it. The fact that so many people are posting here rather than there isn't about personality but but the nature of NA these days. After all it's more or less the same people who post there who now use this site, this however is better laid out, doesn't degenerate into tedious arguments and to date we haven't had the usual Friday deluge of wind up merchants from whatever club we are playing next telling us how crap Charlton are etc (though amongst the dross is the occasional good post).

In short, keep up the good work but I guess be warned that you need to proactively manage these boards and keep the threads on topic and be prepared to ban offenders. NA/Trevor sadly doesn't do that or if he does he doesn't do enough of it.
  • Options
    Lets wrap this up and move on please guys.
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    At least I can't be blamed for NA demise. Some of the blame must be put at Trevor's door but, at the end of the day, you can ignore certain people's posts. As long as the content isn't racist, homophobic etc etc then all topics should be encouaged, even obscure bands ....winky thing.

Suzi and Dan, I thought you were friends, there's no point falling out over something as trivial as this, kiss and make up.
  • Options
    [cite] Oracle:[/cite]Suzi and Dan, I thought you were friends, there's no point falling out over something as trivial as this, kiss and make up.

Alright but no tongues this time
  • Options
    [cite] Oracle:[/cite]At least I can't be blamed for NA demise.

LOL. Now THAT'S funny!
  • Options
    Have just had a look on Netaddicks, what the F*** is going on there. Someone even posted something about getting a Charltonlife v Netaddicks punch up FFS. All very sad. Live Love laugh & be Happy..!
  • Options
    I think that was tongue-in-cheek....and we all know that CharltonLoyal would win any tear-up....wink wink
  • Options
    guys, no more please. Not interested in a them and us situation, and don't want this dragging on.

Move on or i'll pull the thread. Lookout has said our position, so lets leave it at that.

cheers