Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Exeter v Charlton | Tue 08 Aug | 7:45pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Exeter City v Charlton Athletic
Tuesday 8th August 2017 … 7:45pm Kick-Off
League Cup First Round

Introduction

Writing this match preview straight after our victory over Bristol Rovers makes my life a lot easier for our next fixture… After securing three points on the opening day of the season after playing almost the whole match with 10-men proves that we’ll be no pushovers this term. Yet already it’s time to take a break from league action, as we make the trip down to the West Country for a Devon double header, beginning with Exeter City in the League Cup.

The Opposition
Name: Exeter City | Manager: Paul Tisdale
Manager Record: (P)-570 | (W)-215 | (D)-148 | (L)-207 | (W%)-37.7

You hear in the press all the time that no Manager’s job is safe and apart from a handful club you can expect a change in the hot seat at least once a season. Quite obviously at Arsenal that doesn’t happen and in Paul Tisdale; Exeter are another example of sticking by their man. No more was that shown early last season when early in November it looked as though Exeter would exit the Football League, yet loyalty runs deep within the Grecians and a brilliant turn around saw Tisdale and his squad just missing out on promotion after losing in the Play-Off Final.

Defeat in a Play-Off Final must be the hardest prospect for any Manager ahead of the new season and with Exeter losing impressive youngsters: Ollie Waktins (Brentford) and Ethan Ampadu (Chelsea) you’d expect the task even harder for Tisdale, especially as only three players were brought in over the summer. Yet at present there appear to very few ill effects from the Wembley defeat with Exeter recording an opening home win against Cambridge United, Reuben Reid (14-goals last term) scoring from the penalty spot to open his account for the year.

Charlton Team News
Being the League Cup you’d expect this to be nothing more than a distraction for Karl Robinson and his players with the Charlton boss stating that he’ll happily take a fine for fielding a weaker squad tomorrow night…

Straight away you’d expect to see Dillon Phillips going between the sticks as per our sole outing in this competition last term whilst it’ll also be an opportunity for Naby Sarr and Karlan Ahearne-Grant to put the first-team players under pressure in their respective positions, Ben Reeves could also earn his first Charlton appearance having been an unpicked substitute on Saturday… One interesting aspect we could see from the squad will be whether Ezri Konsa is included as could hinder potential sale this August with any appearance of course leaving him cup-tied for any prospective buyer.

Phillips
Barnes | Sarr | Bauer | Dasilva
Dijksteel | Crofts
Ahearne-Grant | Reeves | Fosu
Watt

Substitutes Bench: Amos | Jackson | Pearce | Forster-Caskey | Holmes | Clarke | Aribo

Prediction
Bookmark this preview people as you won’t often hear me unbothered about a Charlton result… A good cup run would be entertaining for the fans yet seeing we never get favourable draws even that is debatable – I say let’s give some match experience to the fringe players and if we get through then great yet ultimately with questions over the squad depth we should be concentrating on the League

Comments

• Options
    Comfortable away win 4-0.
  • Options
    Really hoping Fosu and Da Silva are not playing tomorrow. Would rather lose the match with players in the wrong position then lose some of our first team players to injury.
  • Options
    I doubt any buyer of Konsa would be bothered if he was cuptied, the PL clubs would stick him straight into their U23 teams anyway

KR said he'd rest the entire team, so no idea what 11 we could put out? Jackson at LB, Konsa at CB?
  • Options
    Nicholas said:

Really hoping Fosu and Da Silva are not playing tomorrow. Would rather lose the match with players in the wrong position then lose some of our first team players to injury.

Fat Karl said after Saturday's game that he's changing all eleven for Tuesday night. Lennon in for Bauer and Jacko in for Fosu maybe?
  • Options
    I don't see why any of the first team players from Saturday should be asked to travel. I think the under 23s should make up the bench.

I would not ask DeSilva to play either.
  • Options
    I thought KR said he will change 10 players from the starting 11 Saturday for this one, which one will stay. I reckon, unless a new goal keeper is signing then Amos will be the only one to stay. I think Exeter is viewing this game the same as us, so 1-3. Who will replace Watt after 20 minutes?
  • Options
    Pretty sure KR said only Bauer and Amos (not 100% sure Amos was the 2nd one) would be going from the starting 11 on Saturday in his interview
  • Options
    Lets face it if any of our 1st eleven got injured in this game and missed Plymouth on Saturday most of us on hear would be furious.
    I hope Karl sticks by what he said and makes eleven changes.
    If we then get three points Saturday he can claim all the credit.
    COYR
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

Nicholas said:

Fat Karl said after Saturday's game that he's changing all eleven for Tuesday night. Lennon in for Bauer and Jacko in for Fosu maybe?
    Lennon not fit yet
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    talking to an Exeter fan recently, the club is owned by the fans, they have a thriving academy at cat3 and hoping for Cat 2 and play attacking football, oh yes and they do quite well in cup competitions,.
  • Options
    Robinson said in his post-match interview he'll make 11 changes.

As far as Konsa being rested in case of a move, I can't see him going anywhere where him being cup tied in the League Cup will play a major impact. Yes, maybe a team like Everton might want to play him in the third or fourth round if they get a favorable draw, but I'd be very surprised if that impacts his ability to get a move.

Phillips
    Dijksteel Konsa Sarr Barnes
    .....Crofts(C)...Aribo
    KAG.........Reeves.....Charles-Cook
    ..............Watt

Bench: Amos, Bowry, Doughty, Jackson, Lapslie, Kennedy, Hackett-Fairchild

There will be a lot of players playing for their chance to be involved in the senior team this season. Dijksteel, Sarr, Barnes, and Charles-Cook all had good pre-seasons and Watt will be looking to make amends. Think we might see a performance.
  • Options

talking to an Exeter fan recently, the club is owned by the fans, they have a thriving academy at cat3 and hoping for Cat 2 and play attacking football, oh yes and they do quite well in cup competitions,.

Yeah always really liked that about them, that they're fan owned, promote from within, etc.
  • Options
    Robinson named ten of the eleven.

Phillips
    Djikisteel, Konsa, Sarr, Jackson
    Crofts Aribo,
    Reeves, KAG
    Watt.

He said they needed a number ten.
  • Options
    Charles Cooke on right?
  • Options

Charles Cooke on right?

I would say so.

• Options
    ross1 said:

I thought KR said he will change 10 players from the starting 11 Saturday for this one, which one will stay. I reckon, unless a new goal keeper is signing then Amos will be the only one to stay. I think Exeter is viewing this game the same as us, so 1-3. Who will replace Watt after 20 minutes?

The travelling time is also a consideration for KR, which isn't Exeter's problem tomorrow
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    I'd go RCC right, Barnes left and Djiksteel pushing Aribo further forward. Watt to get his critics thinking.
  • Options
    Djiksteel starts RB ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    dickplumb said:

Charles Cooke on right?

I would say so.

Any news on whether they're looking to get RCC a loan? Every time I see him I think he looks good enough to be more involved than he has been over the past ~18 months or so. I know there's questions about what his best position is and Robinson doesn't seem to rate him all that highly.
  • Options
    I'm expecting the traditional "lose to a lower division team"
  • Options
    I see a cup run looming, with Phillips playing all the games up to the final & then Amos taking over to win a medal.............well, we can all dream, can't we ?

Bound to be the usual defeat to a lower league team (as posted by parkinsonout above - and PP had his fair share of those games !!)

I will be there with Golfie Jnr as we are currently holidaying in Devon. I don't think I've seen us beat a lower league side away in recent times - went to Hereford, Northwich & Shrewsbury (4-3) - so don't expect us to win

2-0 to the Grecians
  • Options
    Standard CAFC cup performance: 2-0 defeat.
  • Options
    I expect a very different team than the one that started on Saturday. If that's the case I can see a narrow defeat
    2-1

• Options
    Dr Kish's team still looks pretty strong
  • Options
    Is it true that teams get fined for not playing their strongest teams? After all the likes of Arsenal have used this competition to play their kids for years
  • Options
    2-1 defeat.
  • Options
    Phillips
    Dijksteel Konsa Sarr Barnes
    Crofts Charles-Cook
    Reeves Aribo Ahearne-Grant
    Watt