Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What is the best you have ever seen Charlton play?

Comments

• Options

cafc4life said:

We beat Preston 5-2 the season we went up under Powell. Remember we tore them apart before conceding 2 in injury time. Thought we looked class that day

I might be misremembering this, but weren't we 5-2 up going into injury time before they scored 2 to make it 5-4? I seem to remember their goalkeeper turning to the covered end after their 4th and taking the piss because we must've been getting nervous!
    That was Cardiff the next season.
  • Options
    Portsmouth at home 2006. We were literally doing magic tricks. We made Omar Pouso completely disappear at half time.
  • Options

cafc4life said:

We beat Preston 5-2 the season we went up under Powell. Remember we tore them apart before conceding 2 in injury time. Thought we looked class that day

I might be misremembering this, but weren't we 5-2 up going into injury time before they scored 2 to make it 5-4? I seem to remember their goalkeeper turning to the covered end after their 4th and taking the piss because we must've been getting nervous!
    That was Cardiff the next season.
    That's the one! Cheers @stonewallpenalty
  • Options
    edited August 2017
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Att: 26,130 :neutral:
  • Options
    Best game ever from an old fan was January 1969. We beat Palace 2-0 in a Cup Replay at their ground after a 0-0 draw at the Valley. Had a lucky break when Bobby Tambling ex Chelsea hit the post with a penalty for them with the score 1-0. We then scored a brilliant second by Ray Treacy. Sadly I think he died a couple of years ago. Brilliant player for Charlton.
  • Options
    GeoffB said:

Best game ever from an old fan was January 1969. We beat Palace 2-0 in a Cup Replay at their ground after a 0-0 draw at the Valley. Had a lucky break when Bobby Tambling ex Chelsea hit the post with a penalty for them with the score 1-0. We then scored a brilliant second by Ray Treacy. Sadly I think he died a couple of years ago. Brilliant player for Charlton.

The away cup tie at Palace was rated by many at the time as the best they had seen the club play - including many with memories of the '40's and '50's in the top flight.

More recently 4-4 vs Sunderland at Wembley in 1998 was astonishing.

But how about the League Cup draw at Stamford Bridge in early 2005? Holding out with 10 men in the last part of extra time and not being played off the field by an exceptional Chelsea side either.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Two of the best live games I saw in my distant youth, August/Sept, 1972 :

Charlton 6 Swansea 0
    Charlton 6 Notts Co. 1
    These were within 3 weeks of each other and I think Flash Flanagan scored a hat trick in both games.
    Ironically, one of the best goals over the two games was the consolation goal for Notts Co, scored by Don Masson with a bullet header.

Agree with many that 98 Play-off final and 4-2 win over Chelsea probably the best.
  • Options
    Was present at Old Trafford in 1986 when final score Man Utd 0 Charlton 1 - Mark Stuart goal, 49th minute, I think.

One of Ron Atkinson's last games as manager at Old Trafford before Fergie took over.

A very special feeling at the final whistle, I can tell you!
  • Options
    purdis said:

Was present at Old Trafford in 1986 when final score Man Utd 0 Charlton 1 - Mark Stuart goal, 49th minute, I think.

One of Ron Atkinson's last games as manager at Old Trafford before Fergie took over.

Yes, I think it was the coins raining down on us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    purdis said:

Charlton 6 Swansea 0
    Charlton 6 Notts Co. 1
    These were within 3 weeks of each other and I think Flash Flanagan scored a hat trick in both games.
    Ironically, one of the best goals over the two games was the consolation goal for Notts Co, scored by Don Masson with a bullet header.

Agree with many that 98 Play-off final and 4-2 win over Chelsea probably the best.

I think Flash scored 4 in one of the games.
  • Options

Anyone else remember away at West Brom in the Prem when the trio of Kish, Smertin & Murphy tore them apart in the first half? Only time I remember Charlton fans singing "It's just like watching Brazil" and not in an ironic way. Think we were 2-0 up.

Second half a lot closer as they sussed how to play us which turned out to be the story of that season.

Yep, that first half is by some distance the best I've ever seen us play. West Brom didn't get anywhere near us and our passing and movement was just unbelievable. We looked like scoring every time we had the ball, and should have been out of sight at half time.

I remember it slightly differently in that we allowed it to go to our heads, started showboating and allowed them back into the game. Certainly never played as well since, and I agree that was a microcosm for that entire season.

• Options
    purdis said:

A great day, although Man Utd weren't the biggest/best team back then. I think it was his last game and they had lost their first 3 games of the season to London clubs, us, West Ham and one other (I can't remember who, maybe Spurs)
  • Options
    rikofold said:

Anyone else remember away at West Brom in the Prem when the trio of Kish, Smertin & Murphy tore them apart in the first half? Only time I remember Charlton fans singing "It's just like watching Brazil" and not in an ironic way. Think we were 2-0 up.

Second half a lot closer as they sussed how to play us which turned out to be the story of that season.

Yep, that first half is by some distance the best I've ever seen us play. West Brom didn't get anywhere near us and our passing and movement was just unbelievable. We looked like scoring every time we had the ball, and should have been out of sight at half time.

I remember it slightly differently in that we allowed it to go to our heads, started showboating and allowed them back into the game. Certainly never played as well since, and I agree that was a microcosm for that entire season.

Anderson in goal had been rock solid up to then but he fumbled a cross and Curtis Davies scored. He then got the jitters and made more errors putting the defence on edge. Next away game he made an error for the only goal at Villa and it was all down hill that season for him and the team - the 82nd Minute of the final game excepted.
  • Options
    I vaguely remember a game against Wimbledon where Bowyer got a hatrick. Anyone remember the game?

Other than that. 4-1 v Bolton to stay up around 1969.
    4-2 at Arsenal
    3-3 v Man Unt

There was also a game v Spurs where we played 30 minutes of the best football I've ever seen and went 2 or 3 up. Jensen running the show. Once again, can't recall all the details, think Spurs pulled it back?
  • Options
    Don't think the 4-1 v Bolton was around 1969 - more mid to late 70s? I remember being there on the East Terrace with my Dad and my Mum's cousin's husband, who was a Bolton fan. Didn't it mean they went down instead of us?

Can't check Home & Away just now.
  • Options
    Think the Spurs game was the same season as and not long after the West Brom away mentioned earlier? Darren Bent scored twice and goaded the away fans. Sven was there to watch Murphy who had a stinker. Live on TV too maybe? Spurs won 2-3 in the end and that was it for Murphy.
  • Options
    Or are you thinking of away at WHL @Masicat? We won 3-2 with a Bartlett hat-trick but were 3 up at half-time?
  • Options

Not sure about a single game because there would be too many for me to recall but there was one period of games in 1972 when we seemed invincible at home.

Between the 29th August and 2nd December that year, our home record was:

P10 W9 D1 L0 F29 A6

These matches included the evening 6-0 and 6-1 demolitions of Swansea and Notts County respectively.

I can't recall wanting to watch us play as much as I did as a teenager at that time. Sadly I'm not sure that desire will ever come back.

Was at both those 6 goal games as a kid.... Notts county scored right at the end... Les bradd i think.
  • Options
    Others have probably mentioned it already but 7-6 Hudders, yes I was there
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Don't think the 4-1 v Bolton was around 1969 - more mid to late 70s? I remember being there on the East Terrace with my Dad and my Mum's cousin's husband, who was a Bolton fan. Didn't it mean they went down instead of us?

Yes they went down as a result .,I think as the results panned out, we would have stayed up anyway.
  • Options

Or are you thinking of away at WHL @Masicat? We won 3-2 with a Bartlett hat-trick but were 3 up at half-time?

No, I'm sure it was a night game at the Valley.
  • Options

purdis said:

Charlton 6 Swansea 0
    Charlton 6 Notts Co. 1

Flash scored 4 against Notts County but none against Swansea (scorers V Swansea were Reeves, Horsfield (2) Shipperley (2) and Paul Davies).

I was also at both matches but can't remember very much, I was only 11.

• Options

purdis said:

Charlton 6 Swansea 0
    Charlton 6 Notts Co. 1

Flash scored 4 against Notts County but none against Swansea (scorers V Swansea were Reeves, Horsfield (2) Shipperley (2) and Paul Davies).

I was also at both matches but can't remember very much, I was only 11.

I thought that, but didn't want to say. You were much older than me, I was only 10 :smile:

I can still visualise the back of the Swansea programme, where my dad annotated the goalscorers with his black inked fountain pen. Even in 1972, I thought it was somewhat old fashioned.

It's funny what you remember/forget. Ask me about most games from last season and I've already forgotten them.
    Not that we won many 6-0.
  • Options
    masicat said:

I vaguely remember a game against Wimbledon where Bowyer got a hatrick. Anyone remember the game?

Other than that. 4-1 v Bolton to stay up around 1969.
    4-2 at Arsenal
    3-3 v Man Unt

There was also a game v Spurs where we played 30 minutes of the best football I've ever seen and went 2 or 3 up. Jensen running the show. Once again, can't recall all the details, think Spurs pulled it back?

Jerome Thomas debut(?), I think we won 3-2.
  • Options
    masicat said:

Yes they went down as a result .,I think as the results panned out, we would have stayed up anyway.
    1982-83 season. If we'd lost we were definitely down along with Rotherham and a couple of days after we'd all finished, Burnley (who lost at Palace).

Won 4-1 after being 1-0 down.....all our goals in the last half hour or so. Hales 2 Gritt and Carl Harris scored.

Clubs that survived on the last day....Charlton, Chelsea, Middlesbrough and I think Grimsby.

So many clubs involved in the relegation battle that final Saturday and as I say, there was the final game at Selhurst on the following Tuesday for Palace and Burnley (Palace won 1-0...Ian Edwards header).
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Probably the Play Off final for me.

Considering the occasion, the fact we were behind 3 times, to come back each time and then to win the penalty shoot out, with that amount of pressure and what was at stake.

Truly remarkable performance.

Considering what I've experienced throughout my charlton supporting days, hard to believe, it was actually Charlton.
  • Options

Very similar but I watched us beat Middlesboro 3-0 away early that same season with the same the midfielders absolutely brilliant throughout. OK, it was in a bar in Phuket but I was with a Boro fan and we played them off the park. Even Rommedahl scored.

It was one of those annoying seasons where we started so well, lost a tough game to Spurs, I think, at which point Curbs curbed the expansive football in one of his back to basics moments.
  • Options
    Sorry to keep going back so far but also in 1969 we played Middlesborough and Derby ( Brian Clough) on successive days at Easter at home. Big crowds and we won 4-1 and 2-0 - Ray Treacy scored a brilliant 25 yard goal in the Derby game. Sadly we missed out on promotion narrowly to Palace. Miserable.
  • Options
    Was at the 7 - 6 game but home to Southampton Super Clive hat trick team played great.
    Roland that is the Valley we love .