Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ajax player collapsed in friendly

Awful news about Abdelhak Nouri who collapsed in a friendly against Werder Bremen.

Comments

• That is terrible, really hope he makes a good a recovery as possible.
  • http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40595416

Absolutely terrible, permanent brain damage
  • absolutely terrible - only 20 years old. My thoughts are with him and his family
  • Terrible news, it is always a shock to hear of such healthy people struck down.

It's just an awful situation for those closest to him.
  • Absolutely desperate news. My thoughts are with him and his family. Hoping for the best possible outcome, especially for his loved ones.

I am going to use this as an opportuity to introduce Cardiac Risk in the Young to anyone currently unaware of that organisation, who raise awareness of Sudden Adult Death Syndrome and offer cardiac screening for 14-35 year olds. I know some (many?) on here are aware of them and the work they do. But, if introducing them to a wider audience can persuade just one more person to find out about any risks they face, it would be a good thing.

There is no indication that Nouri's cardiac arhythmia would have been picked up by screening (and, I don't know if he has had any such screening). But the work that CRY does saves young people's lives and that's worth promoting.

As sad as it is that James Taylor has had to retire from cricket, I would always prefer to hear about a health-enforced retirement than another young person losing their life in such sad circumstances.

If you're young enough, or you know someone who is, take a look at CRY's website. And set up a screening.
  • Very sad, a very promising player.
  • I have a type of cardiac arrhythmia which was picked up on an ecg - have had it since childhood. I wonder what sort of screening he had - very sad news.