Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Premier League clubs are heading towards financial ruin

2»

Comments

• Options
    I think the issue a lot of fans have (me certainly) is that the amount of money floating around in the game is obscene in what was and still is a working class sport

I tend to agree with Kings Hill Addick's assessment that it is the same money being moved around and it is only going out via the agents and players, but those amounts are eye watering

Reading that Texiera earns 12k a week on the transfer rumours thread basically means it takes him 3 weeks to earn what I do in a year. Does he do more work in 3 weeks than I do in a year?

Also I guess it's important to remember that if Arsenal sign Lacazette for £52m over 5 years, it's pretty much a £10m a season investment because I think the value of the transfer is divided by length of contract for FFP etc

I'm certainly no economist, but something must be holding all of it together
  • Options
    cabbles said:

I think the issue a lot of fans have (me certainly) is that the amount of money floating around in the game is obscene in what was and still is a working class sport

I tend to agree with Kings Hill Addick's assessment that it is the same money being moved around and it is only going out via the agents and players, but those amounts are eye watering

Reading that Texiera earns 12k a week on the transfer rumours thread basically means it takes him 3 weeks to earn what I do in a year. Does he do more work in 3 weeks than I do in a year?

Also I guess it's important to remember that if Arsenal sign Lacazette for £52m over 5 years, it's pretty much a £10m a season investment because I think the value of the transfer is divided by length of contract for FFP etc

Jesus your worth £36k per year?

There is something seriously wrong with waged amongst the working classes ;)
  • Options

cabbles said:

Top quality moderating doesn't come cheap these days.
  • Options

cabbles said:

Exactly. Give Texiera the job of moderating article 50, see how'd he'd get on
  • Options
    cabbles said:

cabbles said:

Exactly. Give Texiera the job of moderating article 50, see how'd he'd get on
    Splutter!!... Giving a Brexit thread to the Portuguese...

I KNEW even after we agreed to leave the EU that jobs would still be outsourced to Europeans!!
  • Options
    Seems to be a lot of contradictions on here after all the problem is funded by all you boys renewing your Sky subscriptions.

If people did not feed the Sky machine and demand access to TV games the situation would be different
  • Options

Seems to be a lot of contradictions on here after all the problem is funded by all you boys renewing your Sky subscriptions.

If people did not feed the Sky machine and demand access to TV games the situation would be different

Stopped mine two years ago. No regrets.

• Options
    There is a possibility that, at some point, the TV viewing public will fall out of love with premier league football. Suddenly it will not be cool - I seem to remember football was not particularly cool at points in my 59 years on this planet so it can happen. When that does come to pass the game will be all the better for it in my opinion. The real fans will remain.

I haven't had Sky for some years and can't see me getting it again. I've said it before - it's sport, there's 2 teams of sportsmen pitted against each other, it can be good, it can be great, but it can also be shit, and before the whistle blows at the start of the game you don't know which way it's going to go. Now, for real fans that's the beauty of it and we accept that possibility, but Sky want you to believe that every time Manchester United play Liverpool or Arsenal play Spurs it WILL be a classic. And the reason for that is they have paid a fortune for the rights to show those games live. It's all bollocks and it winds me up, so it's just as well I have a choice and I have chosen not to have anything to do with it. Good old Match of the Day will do me.
  • Options
    Clubs can sustain it as long as the TV deals keep going up in value, but with TV audiences dropping and Sky even having to reduce subscriptions costs as a result, there is no guarantee that the golden goose will keep laying.

If/when that happens and the TV deal goes down in value, potentially quite significantly, we will see some clubs in real hardship trying to keep paying the wages they have already contracted players to. Even those with owners with deep pockets will only be willing to meet a certain level of loss for a certain amount of time.

I don't know whether it will bring about a full on implosion, but there has to be a significant readjustment at some point.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2017
    Wolves just spent perhaps £15.8 million, perhaps £17 million, on Ruben Neves. Now, that is scary. As for FFP, perhaps their Chinese owners are prepared to inject the equity...
  • Options
    I remember soccer Saturday doing a piece last season about the mid 80s when they couldn't get anyone to show football. The tv companies weren't prepared to put up what the football league considered appropriate. They were interviewing Tony Cottee and he and Frank McAveny (I think), were walking across London Bridge and they were stopping passers by to ask if they recognised them, not many did

Cottee was talking about the fact it was the season he and McAveny scored loads of goals, yet hardly anyone saw

Crazy to think how it's changed now
  • Options
    cabbles said:

I remember soccer Saturday doing a piece last season about the mid 80s when they couldn't get anyone to show football. The tv companies weren't prepared to put up what the football league considered appropriate. They were interviewing Tony Cottee and he and Frank McAveny (I think), were walking across London Bridge and they were stopping passers by to ask if they recognised them, not many did

Cottee was talking about the fact it was the season he and McAveny scored loads of goals, yet hardly anyone saw

Crazy to think how it's changed now

Don't forget English football didn't have a very sweet smell to it at the time.
  • Options
    Name the only PL team this transfer window and only team in England yet to make a signing in 2017...

Answers on the back of a £50 note and send to Mr D Levy, N17. Sigh.
  • Options

Clubs can sustain it as long as the TV deals keep going up in value, but with TV audiences dropping and Sky even having to reduce subscriptions costs as a result, there is no guarantee that the golden goose will keep laying.

If/when that happens and the TV deal goes down in value, potentially quite significantly, we will see some clubs in real hardship trying to keep paying the wages they have already contracted players to. Even those with owners with deep pockets will only be willing to meet a certain level of loss for a certain amount of time.

I don't know whether it will bring about a full on implosion, but there has to be a significant readjustment at some point.

I don't see it dropping yet as it's likely that we will see companies like google, amazon and even facebook bidding for the next rights. La liga will stream a game through facebook from next season.

The NFL do something similar through periscope so that's the way it will go soon enough
  • Options

I don't see it dropping yet as it's likely that we will see companies like google, amazon and even facebook bidding for the next rights. La liga will stream a game through facebook from next season.

The NFL do something similar through periscope so that's the way it will go soon enough
    This may well be true but let's remember that there have been lots of IT companies that got it wrong and gone to the wall. I'm sure they have got a game plan but I'm not convinced that any of them can make enough money from advertising to fund the kind of bid that would match what the PL are getting now.

Also advertising is to be almost as unpopular as constant spam mail. It might be that many will just lose interest in watching the football on the tele at all.

I'm not convinced that the fall in Sky subscribers is as much to do with subscriptions as it is to do with over saturation and a lack of interest in the PL and it's predictability.