Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rooney back to Everton

Comments

• Options

Appreciate why he's done it but 31 seems a ridiculously young age to retire from international football.

Paul Scholes went @ 30... Philipp Lahm went at 31 as well

Think the issue as well is the fact that International Football seems to be on a huge decline and winning things at Club Football is a bigger thing these days than winning something with your Country it seems

(Of course; Lahm has won everything and fully retired this year)
  • Options

i don't agree with retiring from international duty.

Nor do I... Its akin to turning your back on your country!!
  • Options

Nor do I... Its akin to turning your back on your country!!
    He's doing his country a favour, imo.
  • Options

Appreciate why he's done it but 31 seems a ridiculously young age to retire from international football.

he did start very young though, so in terms of miles on the clock he's a very old 31! Over 750 senior games already
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Merciful God, what a goal!
    By Sigurdsson, that is.
  • Options

Don't think Scotland qualify for enough competitive fixtures for you ever to have to worry about that mate.
  • Options
    That's one helluva goal by Sigurdsson
  • Options
    It's strange with Rooney. On the one hand, he's our country's record goalscorer and at club level he's won everything with Man Utd.
    On the other hand, he's performed dreadfully at international tournaments and been surrounded by world class players at Man U.

But when I think of him, I struggled to answer this question: What is he good at?
    Think of ANY other world class player, past or present, and you'll straightaway have a word or an image in your mind of something they do excellently. I don't know what Rooney does. I don't know what he's best at.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Statistically he's best at scoring goals for his country and for one of the biggest clubs in the world.

I've slagged him off in the past and I'm sure most England fans have at some point. Fact is when you sit and think of all the players, fantastic players at that, that have played for England and even more so Man United it's incredible really to think nobody has scored more than Rooney. Fantastic achievement and I think the fact he has re-signed for Everton when he could have doubled or even trebled his money in China says a lot about him. Yes, he's still paid a fortune anyway but a lot of players would have taken the pay rise for their last few years in the game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2017

Greatest ever English striker when playing amateur teams.

Shame he never turned up when it actually mattered.

You can't put that in Rooney alone - it's the England team that never turns up when it really matters

• Options
    Speaking of Everton, Sigurdsson had a wonder goal today.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_bau9Fyjxs
  • Options

Statistically he's best at scoring goals for his country and for one of the biggest clubs in the world.

I've slagged him off in the past and I'm sure most England fans have at some point. Fact is when you sit and think of all the players, fantastic players at that, that have played for England and even more so Man United it's incredible really to think nobody has scored more than Rooney. Fantastic achievement and I think the fact he has re-signed for Everton when he could have doubled or even trebled his money in China says a lot about him. Yes, he's still paid a fortune anyway but a lot of players would have taken the pay rise for their last few years in the game.

How many of those goals were scored in meaningless friendlies? How many of the other 'top goal scorers' had access to that many friendlies?

• Options

How many of those goals were scored in meaningless friendlies? How many of the other 'top goal scorers' had access to that many friendlies?

If it was so easy to score in meaningless friendlies and against the minows why havent others scored as many?
  • Options

Speaking of Everton, Sigurdsson had a wonder goal today.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_bau9Fyjxs

Commentary courtesy of Swedish Chef
  • Options
    How many friendlies were played when Greeves or Lineker played? I'd imagine not many.

I'd bet if you look at goals per game in competitive matches, Rooney wouldn't be top.

I'm not trying to say Rooney is a bad player, I just don't think he's ever done much for England.
  • Options
    I actually agree, with his England record there is always room for debate because of the quality of opposition.

He's still the record goal scorer for Man United though, and I think that is incredible when you think of the players they've had.
  • Options

How many friendlies were played when Greeves or Lineker played? I'd imagine not many.

I'd bet if you look at goals per game in competitive matches, Rooney wouldn't be top.

I'm not trying to say Rooney is a bad player, I just don't think he's ever done much for England.

On the other hand, a lot of the other countries were much weaker, the standard of international football is a lot stronger than 30/50 years ago
  • Options
    edited August 2017

On the other hand, a lot of the other countries were much weaker, the standard of international football is a lot stronger than 30/50 years ago
    Very true... Back in the 80s we twice beat Turkey 8-0... Look how quickly that changed...

https://www.11v11.com/teams/england/tab/opposingTeams/opposition/Turkey/

Interestingly; six of Gary Lineker's goals came in one of those 8-0 wins and in a five 5-0 over Turkey back then...
  • Options
    Everton have been given a tough group in the Europa....Lyon & Atalanta
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Fair point.
  • Options
    Arrested for drink driving. Silly boy
  • Options
    Idiot. No excuses for his actions.
  • Options
    Poor guy probably couldn't afford a taxi after he'd taken Margaret down the bingo.
  • Options
    I heard he took Margaret up the bingo
  • Options

Arrested for drink driving. Silly boy

What a plonker!
  • Options
    The words Dick and head come to mind, it's not like he's short of a few bob for a taxi.
  • Options

The words Dick and head come to mind, it's not like he's short of a few bob for a taxi.

Same with Tiger Woods, there's no excuse when anyone drink drives, but with that amount of money it's just unbelievable.