Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Most overrated films.

Comments

• Options

JiMMy 85 said:

Almost anything by Wes Anderson. Especially the Darjeeling Limited.

I was going to say The Grand Budapest Hotel.....
    Keep eating the pot noodles
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

Almost anything by Wes Anderson. Especially the Darjeeling Limited.

I was going to say The Grand Budapest Hotel.....
    God I hated Grand Budapest Hotel.
    You too Beds!
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Casablanca

I'm not surprised that you wouldn't get that film.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

I think Star Wars is way overrated too as is Harry Potter.

As for individual films.

Fight Club
    North by Northwest
    Citizen Kaine

All overrated in my opinion

Fight club is a good film

North by Northwest and Citizen Kane are classics
    If you're going to call Lord of the Rings overrated it's a bit rich to question these choices.
    Not really.

North by Northwest and Citizen Kane still stand up as good films 50+ years after they were made.

Lord of the Rings are voted in the top ten films of all time because they came out in the last 5 or ten years and so are popular. In 20 years time they will be nowhere near top ten film lists.
    Kane was obviously a big deal for the techniques Welles introduced to the filmmaking process, but as Beds said, it's a boring watch nowadays. NbNW has fared a lot better tho.

LotR might dwindle a little, but I'm not convinced to the degree you state. Even though the effects have dated a little bit, I don't think it will diminish the love for the three. It's excellent storytelling, and an excellent story to tell. And like some of the others mentioned, ushered in groundbreaking techniques and changed the expectation of the genre to the extent that we got a Game of Thrones TV show.
    Dwindle? The stories are terrible like the books and once the thrill of the new wears off they will be largely ignored as great films of all time. Hence overrated.

Watch Citizen Kane many times and never found it boring but it is paced. It isn't smash, bang, wallop like many modern films and I do think people have come to expect something "exciting" to be happening every 30 seconds.

Ditto the Godfather. First 15 minutes is a wedding where no one is killed or shot but it's one the best gangster movies (movies full stop) ever. And there is no swearing in it either something you'd never hear in a gangster film now.
  • Options
    Her. Critics loved it. Didn't get it
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

colthe3rd said:

These threads are always a nonsense. It's basically people posting popular films they don't like.

Ok to this point, I would argue that Wes Anderson movies are smug. That they give a select bunch of pretentious assholes a feeling of belonging by making them think they're smarter than everyone else cos they 'get' his humour. Yet he remains a shit storyteller, and his scripts are so self-indulgent that i can only assume he rolls them up and performs fellatio on them once he's finished writing.

Further, I've yet to hear anyone explain why the Darjeeling Limited is anything other than self-indulgent, nonsensical claptrap. Until that happens, I'm going to remain convinced that any ratings given over 2/5 for his movies (with the possible exception of Mr Fox, which I haven't seen) are over-ratings, thus his movies are overrated.
    Completely agree, the only half decent one he's made is the grand Budapest hotel which I enjoyed. The rest is garbage
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    have to agree that Wes Anderson is overrated.

I remember watching The Royal Tenenbaums in some girls flat. she said it was her favourite film. I agreed with her at the time even though I had never seen it before but I was on course for a promise.
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

As for individual films.

Fight Club
    North by Northwest
    Citizen Kaine

If you're going to call Lord of the Rings overrated it's a bit rich to question these choices.
    Not really.

North by Northwest and Citizen Kane still stand up as good films 50+ years after they were made.

Lord of the Rings are voted in the top ten films of all time because they came out in the last 5 or ten years and so are popular. In 20 years time they will be nowhere near top ten film lists.
    Kane was obviously a big deal for the techniques Welles introduced to the filmmaking process, but as Beds said, it's a boring watch nowadays. NbNW has fared a lot better tho.

LotR might dwindle a little, but I'm not convinced to the degree you state. Even though the effects have dated a little bit, I don't think it will diminish the love for the three. It's excellent storytelling, and an excellent story to tell. And like some of the others mentioned, ushered in groundbreaking techniques and changed the expectation of the genre to the extent that we got a Game of Thrones TV show.
    Dwindle? The stories are terrible like the books and once the thrill of the new wears off they will be largely ignored as great films of all time. Hence overrated.

Watch Citizen Kane many times and never found it boring but it is paced. It isn't smash, bang, wallop like many modern films and I do think people have come to expect something "exciting" to be happening every 30 seconds.

Ditto the Godfather. First 15 minutes is a wedding where no one is killed or shot but it's one the best gangster movies (movies full stop) ever. And there is no swearing in it either something you'd never hear in a gangster film now.
    this is the same for another Marlon Brando film. On the Waterfront. (love it, up there as one of my favourite films.)
    even when he is shouting a tirade of abuse at the mob boss/union leader not one swear word is used and its still a powerful speech.
  • Options
    Without a doubt Gravity.
  • Options
    Most of the films here seem to be 'don't like this genre but this film was critically acclaimed so going to hate on it'. If you don't like fantasy films that doesn't make those films bad. Someone might as well say they don't like films about heroin or Scots so Trainspotting is overrated.

Wes Anderson - cult films really. Never got into them but Rushmore is decent.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

have to agree that Wes Anderson is overrated.

I remember watching The Royal Tenenbaums in some girls flat. she said it was her favourite film. I agreed with her at the time even though I had never seen it before but I was on course for a promise.

The Royal Tenenbaums is probably one of the worst films ive ever seen, overrated or otherwise.
  • Options
    V A N I L L A S K Y (still)
  • Options
    edited June 2017

Leuth said:

Casablanca

Very condescending, thank you.

What is there to not get? A simple, ultra-contrived love story with cardboard villains and a hammy script. Of course it was a hit! Howard Hawks remade it three years later as To Have And Have Not and made it ten times better. I wish that was the go-to version of Bogart Versus Nazis
  • Options
    Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind.
    Utter tosh that is loved by many people.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Leuth said:

Casablanca

What is there to not get? A simple, ultra-contrived love story with cardboard villains and a hammy script. Of course it was a hit! Howard Hawks remade it three years later as To Have And Have Not and made it ten times better. I wish that was the go-to version of Bogart/Bacall Versus Nazis
    It was meant to be.

A love story? was that all you saw?

What about a spy movie? A who-dun-it movie? A war story? A buddy movie? An anti-nazi movie? And even as a love story it's a love triangle and a story of what people will sacrifice for love. That's it's beauty, it's five or six films in one and far from being "hammy" the script is full of memorial lines that people who haven't even seen the film quote.

Plus it has the divine Ingrid in it (not Bacall, who is pretty hot too, as you seem to think).

Have you even watched it?
  • Options
    scarface
  • Options

scarface

how dare you. you cock a roach
  • Options
    Pulp Fiction. Tarantino at his pointless, self-indulgent worst. None of it matters or means anything, it's like a sketch show
  • Options

Pulp Fiction. Tarantino at his pointless, self-indulgent worst. None of it matters or means anything, it's like a sketch show

• Options

Leuth said:

Leuth said:

Casablanca

What is there to not get? A simple, ultra-contrived love story with cardboard villains and a hammy script. Of course it was a hit! Howard Hawks remade it three years later as To Have And Have Not and made it ten times better. I wish that was the go-to version of Bogart/Bacall Versus Nazis
    It was meant to be.

What about a spy movie? A who-dun-it movie? A war story? A buddy movie? An anti-nazi movie? And even as a love story it's a love triangle and a story of what people will sacrifice for love. That's it's beauty, it's five or six films in one and far from being "hammy" the script is full of memorial lines that people who haven't even seen the film quote.

Plus it has the divine Ingrid in it (not Bacall, who is pretty hot too, as you seem to think).

Yeah, on an aeroplane ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2017

...so you went into a film called "pulp fiction" and expected anything different?

It's like coming out of "snakes on a plane" and complaining it had too many scenes on a plane where there were snakes.
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

As for individual films.

Fight Club
    North by Northwest
    Citizen Kaine

Not really.

"The stories are terrible"

- got any more insight there? These are universally loved books that have sold copies in millions. Not saying that proves much (50 Shades...) but it certainly requires more justification for your claim.

"It isn't smash, bang, wallop like many modern films and I do think people have come to expect something "exciting" to be happening every 30 seconds."

- not really sure that has anything to do with what we were saying (especially considering a few comments above I was talking about Hell or High Water in glowing terms). Kane has largely always been cited for the filming techniques over the storytelling, but to say that's because audiences expect explosions is patronising nonsense. Not least because Kane has had that accusation since the 40s.

I think the ending of Whiplash, which is all about a brief smile, is a billion times more moving than a Marvel destruction rampage, yet I don't think these are mutually exclusive preferences. We can enjoy both, but liking action fare doesn't make anybody a fool finding Kane dull.

As for swearing, that seems to me to be more to do with the time the movie was made than artistic preference. If Coppola made it today you can guarantee there'd be foul language, because that's the world those guys live in and Hollywood has accepted it (the studio system, and the ludicrous rules they lived by known as the Motion Picture Production Code, still existed in the late 60s/ early 70s, until the aforementioned Easy Rider et al changed the landscape).

I'm not even sure why foul language is a concern for you in a movie about sociopathic murderers and beheaded horses.
  • Options
    Anchorman. I'm considered the devil at my work for doubting the genius of this "classic". I think I only smiled once.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    McBobbin said:

Anchorman. I'm considered the devil at my work for doubting the genius of this "classic". I think I only smiled once.

It is slightly overrated but it has this scene which I absolutely love.

https://youtu.be/MAhCpAS2AwA
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Leuth said:

Leuth said:

Casablanca

It was meant to be.

Yeah, on an aeroplane ;)
    As I thought, not seen it.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

As for individual films.

Fight Club
    North by Northwest
    Citizen Kaine

Not really.

"The stories are terrible"

- got any more insight there? These are universally loved books that have sold copies in millions. Not saying that proves much (50 Shades...) but it certainly requires more justification for your claim.

"It isn't smash, bang, wallop like many modern films and I do think people have come to expect something "exciting" to be happening every 30 seconds."

- not really sure that has anything to do with what we were saying (especially considering a few comments above I was talking about Hell or High Water in glowing terms). Kane has largely always been cited for the filming techniques over the storytelling, but to say that's because audiences expect explosions is patronising nonsense. Not least because Kane has had that accusation since the 40s.

I think the ending of Whiplash, which is all about a brief smile, is a billion times more moving than a Marvel destruction rampage, yet I don't think these are mutually exclusive preferences. We can enjoy both, but liking action fare doesn't make anybody a fool finding Kane dull.

As for swearing, that seems to me to be more to do with the time the movie was made than artistic preference. If Coppola made it today you can guarantee there'd be foul language, because that's the world those guys live in and Hollywood has accepted it (the studio system, and the ludicrous rules they lived by known as the Motion Picture Production Code, still existed in the late 60s/ early 70s, until the aforementioned Easy Rider et al changed the landscape).

I'm not even sure why foul language is a concern for you in a movie about sociopathic murderers and beheaded horses.
    Yes, the stories are terrible. Magic rings, wizards, strange creatures, giants. Just terrible hippy nonsense.

And as you say 50 shades, the Da Vinci code, etc etc. Popular does not automatically mean good.

Kane has been praised for its film making techniques but not over the story which is very well constructed and the pay-off shot is brilliant. The whole construction of the story being about his last words and it's unknown meaning is brilliant. And there are no magic swords and hobbits which is a big plus. I don't mind the Potter films, they are good kids movies and books but greatest films ever? No way.

The swearing was a side point. You are right about changing codes but it shows how those writers used words and directors acting without having to use swearing. Not that the swearing bothers me. What is unusual now watching the Godfather is the pace and how long they took to build the story of the outsider seeing this family for the first time which is the key theme to the whole tale.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Anchorman for me too.

Not saying it's a bad film, I like it. But it's massively overrated imo.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

I've got your back on that one. The jokes are largely gibberish. Words that don't belong in that order said with a straight face. But to me that doesn't make something funny. I like Ferrell but he labours jokes, gets shouty, and rarely has a proper punchline. I don't dismiss people finding it funny, i just don't understand why they do. The "I'm on fire!" Scene in Talledega Nights is the nadir.
  • Options

Pinocchio :wink:

Yes Katrien Meire is much better and has a bigger nose