Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Most overrated films.

Comments

• Options
    The Godfather...
  • Options
    Have we not had this before. But for the record pulp fiction.
  • Options
    I thought Hell or High Water was shit but the critics loved it.
  • Options
    Talal said:

The Godfather...

Wind up!!!!!!
  • Options

I loved it. Best film of 2016 for me. What didn't you like about it?
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Blucher said:

Easy Rider

There are some bizarre films being named in this thread, but I can't let this one slide. It's not much fun to watch these days maybe, but its production helped to completely transform Hollywood.
    @JiMMy 85 - I appreciate that Easy Rider is part of the 'American New Wave' and that it is admired by many, but I personally find the script weak and not a patch on, for example, 'Midnight Cowboy' or 'Five Easy Pieces' from the same era.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Almost anything by Wes Anderson. Especially the Darjeeling Limited.

I was going to say The Grand Budapest Hotel.....
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

Almost anything by Wes Anderson. Especially the Darjeeling Limited.

I was going to say The Grand Budapest Hotel.....
    God I hated Grand Budapest Hotel.
  • Options

Cracking film .
  • Options
    Blucher said:

JiMMy 85 said:

Blucher said:

Easy Rider

There are some bizarre films being named in this thread, but I can't let this one slide. It's not much fun to watch these days maybe, but its production helped to completely transform Hollywood.
    @JiMMy 85 - I appreciate that Easy Rider is part of the 'American New Wave' and that it is admired by many, but I personally find the script weak and not a patch on, for example, 'Midnight Cowboy' or 'Five Easy Pieces' from the same era.
    I couldn't get into Five Easy Pieces, just didn't get it. But can't argue with you otherwise! Easy Rider is a hard watch now but goddamn you have to respect what it did. Like many of the movies on here really.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Swear there's a similar thread a year or so ago?

Donnie Darko, emo hipster bollocks

Every Closed season :)

BTW Donnie Darko is great :):)

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

I think Star Wars is way overrated too as is Harry Potter.

As for individual films.

Fight Club
    North by Northwest
    Citizen Kaine

All overrated in my opinion

Fight club is a good film

North by Northwest and Citizen Kane are classics
    If you're going to call Lord of the Rings overrated it's a bit rich to question these choices.
    Not really.

North by Northwest and Citizen Kane still stand up as good films 50+ years after they were made.

Lord of the Rings are voted in the top ten films of all time because they came out in the last 5 or ten years and so are popular. In 20 years time they will be nowhere near top ten film lists.
  • Options
    Another few:
    The Hours
    Midnight in Paris
    Silver Linings Playbook
  • Options
    The Shawshank Redemption, American History X.
  • Options

Talal said:

The Godfather...

Wind up!!!!!!
    Really not, was bored shitless.
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

As for individual films.

Fight Club
    North by Northwest
    Citizen Kaine

If you're going to call Lord of the Rings overrated it's a bit rich to question these choices.
    Not really.

North by Northwest and Citizen Kane still stand up as good films 50+ years after they were made.

Lord of the Rings are voted in the top ten films of all time because they came out in the last 5 or ten years and so are popular. In 20 years time they will be nowhere near top ten film lists.
    Well I watched Citizen Kane for the first time about five years ago and was expecting a masterpiece . I barely got through it.
    As for North by Northwest considering Hitchcock made such brilliant films like Rear Window and Psycho this doesn't come close to either of those . I hated it.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Thought it was really slow and didn't get the point of it. Basic story spread out over two hours.
  • Options

Another few:
    The Hours
    Midnight in Paris
    Silver Linings Playbook

I'd certainly agree with Silver Linings . The Hours is great little horror film.
  • Options
    The Room by Tommy Wiseau
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Another few:
    The Hours
    Midnight in Paris
    Silver Linings Playbook

I'd certainly agree with Silver Linings . The Hours is great little horror film.
    Are we talking about the same film lol.... The one in which Nicole Kidman played a famous writer and she won an Oscar award?
  • Options
    edited June 2017

Another few:
    The Hours
    Midnight in Paris
    Silver Linings Playbook

Are we talking about the same film lol.... The one in which Nicole Kidman played a famous writer and she won an Oscar award?
    What an idiot . I meant The Others !!' Never seen The Hours.
  • Options
    Everything that Anthony Minghella ever did.

But with an especial nomination for The English Patient. How did that win nine Oscars? A complete pile of poo. Made worse by the fact that Minghella just let it run on and on and on until he presumably exhausted his supply of film.

162 minutes of utter tedium.
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

These threads are always a nonsense. It's basically people posting popular films they don't like.

Which is the point of the thread!
    No it isn't. Surely a rated film is one in which critics and casual watchers generally agree is excellent but you think isn't worthy of it's rating. For example mentioning films you just don't like e.g. star wars, Marvel films, Harry Potter films is generally pretty pointless.
  • Options
    Not seen a film since going to the Welling Granada back in the 70s to see the Apple Dumpling Gang when I was about Eight.
    All films are over rated figment of other people's imagination, but that's just my opinion of course.
  • Options

Another few:
    The Hours
    Midnight in Paris
    Silver Linings Playbook

What an idiot . I meant The Others !!' Never seen The Hours.
    I see. Both starring Nicole Kidman. I normally don't watch horror films but I did watch that one at home alone...... so after so many years I still remember a couple of scenes....
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

Thought it was really slow and didn't get the point of it. Basic story spread out over two hours.
    I liked that it was a fairly slow pace. I found it atmospheric. It was basically a western with something to say about the banking crisis, and while it didn't get overly complicated of provide any twists, I felt it did what it aimed to do very successfully. Not trying to convince you otherwise, each to their own. Just a shame you couldn't get into it I suppose.
  • Options
    Casablanca
  • Options
    The Sixth Sense
  • Options
    edited June 2017

JiMMy 85 said:

As for individual films.

Fight Club
    North by Northwest
    Citizen Kaine

Not really.

Kane was obviously a big deal for the techniques Welles introduced to the filmmaking process, but as Beds said, it's a boring watch nowadays. NbNW has fared a lot better tho.

LotR might dwindle a little, but I'm not convinced to the degree you state. Even though the effects have dated a little bit, I don't think it will diminish the love for the three. It's excellent storytelling, and an excellent story to tell. And like some of the others mentioned, ushered in groundbreaking techniques and changed the expectation of the genre to the extent that we got a Game of Thrones TV show.