Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Beer festivals

Comments

• Options
    Going to GBBF on Saturday with the wife. Love a good beer festival. Good beer, good food and a good atmosphere.
  • Options
    going to pop along to this one literally within stumbling distance of my house;

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/hall-place-oktoberfest-2017-tickets-31688444992

£12.99 entry including 2 beers and a glass.
  • Options
    GBBF annoys me! One of their main sponsor is Beer Hawk who are owned by InBev. Yet CAMRA see InBev as one of their enemies!
    I think that CAMRA are getting a sniff of some real money!
  • Options
    The CAMRA one in Covent Garden in 1975 was good. Definitely recommend that one
  • Options
    working 3 mins from olympia i've seen some of the gbbf crowd hanging around jesus creepers a plenty
  • Options

working 3 mins from olympia i've seen some of the gbbf crowd hanging around jesus creepers a plenty

I was there on Tuesday, many a man with BO too.
  • Options

At the GBBF to-day. Two beers in and having a thoroughly good time.

Say hello to Mr Tatters - he's working on the cider bar. (Looks like Father Jack)
  • Options
    Stig said:

Got two festivals this week. Friday is the Southend Carnival BF, then on Saturday it's my very own Ale Test Fest :smiley:

The Southend Carnival BF wasn't really much cop. Hardly any variety; all Essex beers, and nearly all golds or pales. Best beers by a country mile were Blackwater Mild and Oscar Wilde. Evening was only rescued by finding £20 and by recounting the tale of Carter's fingernail.

Today will be another kettle of fish. Fantastic beers on the line up.
  • Options
    Stig said:

Stig said:

Got two festivals this week. Friday is the Southend Carnival BF, then on Saturday it's my very own Ale Test Fest :smiley:

The Southend Carnival BF wasn't really much cop. Hardly any variety; all Essex beers, and nearly all golds or pales. Best beers by a country mile were Blackwater Mild and Oscar Wilde. Evening was only rescued by finding £20 and by recounting the tale of Carter's fingernail.

Today will be another kettle of fish. Fantastic beers on the line up.
    @Stig any chance of letting your fellow Lifers know where it is?
  • Options

Say hello to Mr Tatters - he's working on the cider bar. (Looks like Father Jack)

@Arsenetatters If you'd have told me this the day I was there, I'd have done so. Drinking a slight excess of ale has many effects the day after but sadly time travel isn't one of them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The Southend on is in Leigh Community Centre, it's there until tomorrow. http://www.southendcarnivalevents.org.uk/southend-beer-festival/

My one is at my house, it's invitation only I'm afraid ;-)
  • Options

@Arsenetatters If you'd have told me this the day I was there, I'd have done so. Drinking a slight excess of ale has many effects the day after but sadly time travel isn't one of them.
    Aha - fair point.

Last day today. Well worth a visit. The cider stand has over 100 to choose from.
  • Options
    Fantastic fest yesterday. Best beers were St Sylvestre's 3 Monts a beautiful strong ale from France. Spill The Beans, a coffee porter from Brains that can be bought very cheaply from Aldi and Pelforth Brun a French brown ale (see below).

The theme of this years fest was Brown Ale and we have a Brown Ale Face Off to get off our faces on brown ale decide the best available. The results:
    1st - Pelforth Brun: A little stronger than the others with a sumptuous taste - it made me come over all Jilly Goolden. A clear winner.
    2nd - Mann's Brown Ale: At only 2.8% this was the weakest beer of the day (or the year for me). Very nice flavour and easy to drink, though the texture was a little thin.
    3rd - Brooklyn Brown Ale: Nice flavour but poured a little too lively and had a slight micro fizz.
    4th - Newcastle Brown Ale: Still a good beer, but came out the bottom of the bunch. It's interesting that our panel contained a couple of Newky Brown fans, but in blind taste tests they though that Pelforth was the Geordie brew.

Worst Beer of the day: Duchesse De Bourgogne a Belgian beer so sour it made my head wobble. It didn't really appeal to any of our jury, but I have some spare bottles so I will persevere; I know that it's well regarded amongst those that like that sort of thing. Dullest drinking: Pure Ubu. A bit poncey really, one of those beers from new start ups that are more about design than taste. The initial flavour was grapefruity, which sadly seems to be the fashion nowadays, but that (thankfully) subsided after a few sips.

Stippy's Beers (1 of 1)
  • Options
    Stig said:

Fantastic fest yesterday. Best beers were St Sylvestre's 3 Monts a beautiful strong ale from France. Spill The Beans, a coffee porter from Brains that can be bought very cheaply from Aldi and Pelforth Brun a French brown ale (see below).

The theme of this years fest was Brown Ale and we have a Brown Ale Face Off to get off our faces on brown ale decide the best available. The results:
    1st - Pelforth Brun: A little stronger than the others with a sumptuous taste - it made me come over all Jilly Goolden. A clear winner.
    2nd - Mann's Brown Ale: At only 2.8% this was the weakest beer of the day (or the year for me). Very nice flavour and easy to drink, though the texture was a little thin.
    3rd - Brooklyn Brown Ale: Nice flavour but poured a little too lively and had a slight micro fizz.
    4th - Newcastle Brown Ale: Still a good beer, but came out the bottom of the bunch. It's interesting that our panel contained a couple of Newky Brown fans, but in blind taste tests they though that Pelforth was the Geordie brew.

Worst Beer of the day: Duchesse De Bourgogne a Belgian beer so sour it made my head wobble. It didn't really appeal to any of our jury, but I have some spare bottles so I will persevere; I know that it's well regarded amongst those that like that sort of thing. Dullest drinking: Pure Ubu. A bit poncey really, one of those beers from new start ups that are more about design than taste. The initial flavour was grapefruity, which sadly seems to be the fashion nowadays, but that (thankfully) subsided after a few sips.

Stippy's Beers (1 of 1)

Worst beer of the day : Duchesse De Bourgogne? It's a genuine classic! I love the fact that one man's favourite beer can be the next man's most disliked.
  • Options
    Stig. Sour beer is an aquired taste and can be very refreshing. My favourite, not a brown ale is a Gueze called Marriage Parfait. Stonking!
  • Options
    An absolute must for the avid beer festival fan.

Adidas have launched their new DPBR (Durable Puke and Beer Repellent) trainers. With a nod to Munich's Oktoberfest they also come in a rich brown to go with your leather pants with the word PROST (Cheers) in rich gold lettering.

What's not to like? Yours for 160 quid.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/fashion/adidas-munchen-oktoberfest-beer-vomit-proof-trainers-water-repellent-a7930661.html
  • Options

Adidas have launched their new DPBR (Durable Puke and Beer Repellent) trainers. With a nod to Munich's Oktoberfest they also come in a rich brown to go with your leather pants with the word PROST (Cheers) in rich gold lettering.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/fashion/adidas-munchen-oktoberfest-beer-vomit-proof-trainers-water-repellent-a7930661.html

Fantastic!
  • Options

Actually really like them! Shame about the price!!
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

Stig said:

Stippy's Beers (1 of 1)

Worst beer of the day : Duchesse De Bourgogne? It's a genuine classic! I love the fact that one man's favourite beer can be the next man's most disliked.
    Did the rabbit enjoy it? He/she looks pretty unimpressed about something?
  • Options
    Is anyone going to the Beavertown beer festival this weekend?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Speaking of beer, what is everyone paying on average these day?

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-41183028

I'm definitely pushing that average up in my local establishments. Much closer to £4 a pint at least I reckon. Although there was one on sale recently (only sold in 1/3's or 1/2's) that worked out at over £8 a pint...but it was 9%.
  • Options

Speaking of beer, what is everyone paying on average these day?

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-41183028

I'm definitely pushing that average up in my local establishments. Much closer to £4 a pint at least I reckon. Although there was one on sale recently (only sold in 1/3's or 1/2's) that worked out at over £8 a pint...but it was 9%.

Paying anywhere between £3.20 - £4.50 here in Gloucestershire, my local is £3.20 for Tribute. I have seen pints with larger percentages sold in 1/3s and 1/2s that work out at about £8+ too.

I grew up around Bournemouth, most my friends still live their so I visit quite regularly and have noticed most beers are easily £3.80+ as you say, I wouldn't be shocked to pay £4.50 - £5.00 in some places.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

Yep, I'm there Saturday. Can't wait, the list of beers is ridiculous!
  • Options

PopIcon said:

I'm going Saturday too. I was reading on their website that they are opening the doors at 1100, but not actually pouring until 1300. Good idea I think. I had to queue up for 30 mins to get in to Craft Beer London.

They have a lot of very good stuff on, very few of what I would call fillers.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

PopIcon said:

I'm going Saturday too. I was reading on their website that they are opening the doors at 1100, but not actually pouring until 1300. Good idea I think. I had to queue up for 30 mins to get in to Craft Beer London.

Agreed. We waited roughly 45 minutes for Craft Beer Rising back in Feb so hopefully this means the queue moves reasonably quickly. Not sure what to go for first, there's just so much to choose from. I know I'm going to miss out on something special but it'll be impossible to get round as many beers as I'd like.
  • Options
    @PopIcon @SotonAddick I'll be there too... Must admit, I'm slightly concerned that there are 4000 people there...I see queues of over 150 people per stand (and that's once they're pouring - we've got to queue for 2 hours first to get in!)...for 100ml pours... Hopefully I'll be wrong and they'll have decent crowd management in place. I'll be heading off to OtherHalf Brewing first...it's an awesome brewery..otherwise I'll be wandering looking for the smallest queues....
  • Options

PopIcon said:

PopIcon said:

Agreed. We waited roughly 45 minutes for Craft Beer Rising back in Feb so hopefully this means the queue moves reasonably quickly. Not sure what to go for first, there's just so much to choose from. I know I'm going to miss out on something special but it'll be impossible to get round as many beers as I'd like.
    Mikkeller and Gueuzerie are bring some exciting sours. Also looking forward to trying some beers from Other Half Brewing, Lost Abbey, De Molen, 3 Floyds and Brewski. Too many particular beers to single out, but I recommend Alesmiths - Speedway Stout (Vietnamese Coffee), Cloudwater - Double Dry Hopped Nelson Sauvin/Galaxy, Trillium - Dialed In, and Buxton/Omnipollo - Maple IceCream Waffle.

Anything that you particularly fancy?
  • Options

@PopIcon @SotonAddick I'll be there too... Must admit, I'm slightly concerned that there are 4000 people there...I see queues of over 150 people per stand (and that's once they're pouring - we've got to queue for 2 hours first to get in!)...for 100ml pours... Hopefully I'll be wrong and they'll have decent crowd management in place. I'll be heading off to OtherHalf Brewing first...it's an awesome brewery..otherwise I'll be wandering looking for the smallest queues....

I understand your concerns, but the Beavertown guys are very smart. I think it will be a different affair to both Craft Beer Rising and the London Craft Beer Festival.

• Options
    @Poplcon I do hope they've learnt their lesson from the last festival they organised up at the brewery!
  • Options

@Poplcon I do hope they've learnt their lesson from the last festival they organised up at the brewery!

Up in Spurs? I didnt go, tell me about it.