Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Working overseas / Auckland

I have been offered the chance to go and work in Auckland for 1-3 years with my current employer. The opportunity is great but moving with two young kids is daunting. I also won't have a chance to visit before making a call.

I'm in the process of running through the basics (cost, housing, schools etc) but any advice from those who have taken similar steps would be most grateful.

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2017
    James, Auckland is a great city, a great place to bring up children.
    I have an old colleague of mine,Mark Burley, who moved there and never looked back- i could possibly track him down for you.
  • Options
    Go for it and don't look back.
  • Options

jamescafc said:

I have been offered the chance to go and work in Auckland for 1-3 years with my current employer. The opportunity is great but moving with two young kids is daunting. I also won't have a chance to visit before making a call.

I'm in the process of running through the basics (cost, housing, schools etc) but any advice from those who have taken similar steps would be most grateful.

Can't give you any advice, other than do it - If I had the opportunity to get my kids out of this country and to a place like NZ, I'd be on the first plane out.

Good luck with it if you do it.
    Same here, sadly not in the right industries.
  • Options

jamescafc said:

Can't give you any advice, other than do it - If I had the opportunity to get my kids out of this country and to a place like NZ, I'd be on the first plane out.

My company have offices in Wellington.

We are looking for an IT Consultant offering 150k a year. I can arrange an interview for you.

I work in HR and can be of help.
  • Options

jamescafc said:

We are looking for an IT Consultant offering 150k a year. I can arrange an interview for you.

You won't get rid of Otto that easy.
    Nice try though
  • Options

jamescafc said:

Nice try though
    I am being serious. I want to change his life.

• Options
    With it for the experience and I'm sure the kids will enjoy it too. I've spent a lot of time in NZ travelling and seeing family. I am not that.kuch of a fan to be honest, but I know loads of people that love it. it's not a huge culture shock and you will get into the flow quickly. It's easy to get around and see the rest of the country
  • Options
    I went there in '98, the most friendly people on the planet.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

jamescafc said:

I'm not taking a pay cut.
  • Options
    Housing is super expensive now in Auckland if it helps.
  • Options

jamescafc said:

Do you have to know anything about (or be any good at) IT?
  • Options
    The biggest pull must be family? If that isn't an issue, then nothing ventured nothing gained
  • Options

jamescafc said:

Do you have to know anything about (or be any good at) IT?
    You have to have a masters in where the off and on buttons are.
  • Options

jamescafc said:

Nice try though
    I am being serious. I want to change his life.

Then don't contact me again :smiley:
    Lol.
  • Options
    I made the move to NZ just over ten years ago and not looked back as its awesome over here. Far more relaxed than england both at work and life in general. Chose not to live in Auckland due to the price of housing up there and the traffic. It has only got worse in that time but after my first trip back to blighty last month it's no where as bad as England. The the cost of living over here is slightly higher and as a rule its a low wage economy, if your being moved out here for work I assume that your not going to be in that bracket which will help. Pm me with your email if you want more details and I'm sure I can help. Got a few friends who have made the move over and are in Auckland so should be able to hook you up with one of them
  • Options
    We’ve been living here for just over a year.
    It’s a great place and very safe for kids (unless you live in South Auckland, where there are some very rough spots). Lots of outdoor activities.
    The traffic is terrible though. Can be pretty bad during peak hours.
    I’ve got to cross the Harbour Bridge every morning (I live on the North Shore, but work in Mt Eden) and depending on what time I leave, it can take me anything from 35 mins to an hour to drive 13 km. The hardest part is to get on the motorway.
    The Kiwis are great people. Very friendly and we certainly don’t regret the move.
    Sportswise, it’s rugby, rugby and rugby (with a bit of league as well).
    There’s not a big interest for football, although I’m well impressed with their knowledge of football on Radio Sport.
    Houses are expensive here, just so you’re aware.
    Obviously, it depends on where you live as well.
    Weather is mild. Summers aren’t too hot and winters aren’t cold, especially not when compared to the UK (it can be pretty wet though).

All I can say is: DO IT! You won’t regret! (You might not even want to return back home). Your kids will love you for this.

One more thing to be aware of: Auckland feels small! Everyone seems to know everyone. Quite freakish, compared to London.

Where in Auckland would you be working?
  • Options
    If you are young, then go for it...you will meet people through your kids....but be warned, its a bloody long way from home. Go if youre out going and make friends easily...dont bother otherwise as you will just end up feeling isolated and lonely.
  • Options
    If you have job security here (NZ) and in England what's the debate? Get on the plane and have an adventure. Auckland definitely troublesome in respect to housing costs and traffic, but beaches are great. Once you move here and find you like it, you may find a way to move to another city where housing and transport are more manageable. I recommend you join a sports club (these are not private member type things) but football or rugby or cricket or whatever clubs that draw in members from throughout the community - children and adults all belong and it is a great place to meet locals and ex pats. A good craft beer scene! Your arrival here should take Charlton fan numbers in the country up to double figures!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

jamescafc said:

Grooming
  • Options
    As its a 1-3 year contract I think you should give it a go. In the grand scheme of life, its not much time. Go for it.
  • Options
    Danepak said:

It’s a great place and very safe for kids (unless you live in South Auckland, where there are some very rough spots). Lots of outdoor activities.
    I’ve got to cross the Harbour Bridge every morning (I live on the North Shore, but work in Mt Eden) and depending on what time I leave, it can take me anything from 35 mins to an hour to drive 13 km. The hardest part is to get on the motorway.
    The Kiwis are great people. Very friendly and we certainly don’t regret the move.
    There’s not a big interest for football, although I’m well impressed with their knowledge of football on Radio Sport.
    Weather is mild. Summers aren’t too hot and winters aren’t cold, especially not when compared to the UK (it can be pretty wet though).

All I can say is: DO IT! You won’t regret! (You might not even want to return back home). Your kids will love you for this.

One more thing to be aware of: Auckland feels small! Everyone seems to know everyone. Quite freakish, compared to London.

Queens Wharf.

Is there a NZ equivalent of rightmove to look at rental properties?
  • Options
    Think I'd go these days.
  • Options
    I would go. Spent 9 months in NZ and loved every minute of it. Great lifestyle, great country, great people.
  • Options

In what area. Not Service Now by chance?

• Options
    I took our family with 3 kids under the age of 7 to live in Brussels for 3 years, immediately followed by 3 years in Jakarta, Indonesa (by this time with 4 kids). If the financial package is good and your partner is ok without immediate family support at hand, I would go for it. Having visited New Zealand a couple of times, I would think it would not be the toughest of assignments but it us all about you being open to new experiences. Good luck.
  • Options
    Should have said, whilst I knew Brussels well and so a low risk move, we had no chance to visit Indonesa before making a decision.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    jamescafc said:

Danepak said:

Queens Wharf.

Is there a NZ equivalent of rightmove to look at rental properties?
    Great area. Bang in the middle of the city.
    www.realestate.co.nz

Would be good to have another Charlton supporter in Auckland.
  • Options
    My brother has been living in Auckland for over 20 years, he says good things about it. He misses The Valley, but always enjoys a good chat about the goings on in SE7.