Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Marine Fish Aquarium

2»

Comments

• Options

I'm no expert but I think you may have your tank upside down.

Eh?
  • Options
    Thought this was the chippy between Welling and Shooters Hill!
  • Options
    I really like that set up. I hate it when people spend an age trying to get the water parameters and lighting perfect for a reef tank and then overstock with fish which immediately ruins the water quality. It should be all about the coral with a few fish for a bit of movement, so for me, your tank is perfect!

TMC has a good range, I've heard from a friend that the V2 is meant to be good, but I'm sure you and your wife know that you get what you pay for in this hobby and there are several more expensive options that might be better.

Depending on how frequentky you're doing water changes and the quantity of water you need to top up the system it may be more cost effective to buy and install an RO filter and top up manually (assuming you're currently buying RO water and don't already have one).
  • Options
    I’d love to have one, think the pic looks great but time and money prevent.

When I had a couple of goldfish, I found that hard enough to maintain and never managed to litter tray train them.

I agree with @MrOneLung its upside down.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

I'm no expert but I think you may have your tank upside down.

Eh?
    Ah - I can now see the image you are referring to.
    I was looking at the original photo
  • Options
    My next door neighbours had a marine tank, it was colossal and always were making water which screwed my head up a bit. It didn't last all that long, probably about a year and they sacked all the gear off it did look good but the graft involved in upkeep put them off

Your wife's one looks brilliant mate
  • Options
    get a tank fill it with dirty water an some tyres off an old dinky toy throw them in , tell everyone its a marine tank ---Deptford Creek ---easy
  • Options
    T_C_E said:

Well we've killed nothing yet, either fish or corals. Anyone use a auto top up system, looking for recommendations. ;)image

No idea whats happened here, but it explains the wet carpets in the lounge. ;)
  • Options
  • Options
    Coral reefs are amongst the most fragile and endangered habitats on the planet. Reefs are continually harvested and damaged by the harvesting fish and live rocks for the fish keeping trade.

http://wwf.panda.org/about_our_earth/blue_planet/news/saving_nemo/
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I really like that set up. I hate it when people spend an age trying to get the water parameters and lighting perfect for a reef tank and then overstock with fish which immediately ruins the water quality. It should be all about the coral with a few fish for a bit of movement, so for me, your tank is perfect!

TMC has a good range, I've heard from a friend that the V2 is meant to be good, but I'm sure you and your wife know that you get what you pay for in this hobby and there are several more expensive options that might be better.

Depending on how frequentky you're doing water changes and the quantity of water you need to top up the system it may be more cost effective to buy and install an RO filter and top up manually (assuming you're currently buying RO water and don't already have one).

We are doing water changes about every 10 days and topping up the RO water on a as and when basis. I think she tests the water quality weekly. I think this is about our level, with this size of tank looking at the bigger Redsea spec they are asking 5K for them!
  • Options
    Shrew said:

Coral reefs are amongst the most fragile and endangered habitats on the planet. Reefs are continually harvested and damaged by the harvesting fish and live rocks for the fish keeping trade.

http://wwf.panda.org/about_our_earth/blue_planet/news/saving_nemo/

Yeah but they look nice.
  • Options
    wheres dory ffs you aint let her get lost again
  • Options
    Has anyone had a custom tank built into a wall? We'll be moving later in the year and there is a partly glass wall that I'm tempted to change to an aquarium. Just don't know who to ask apart from random Google companies so any recommendations would be helpful.
  • Options
    Talal said:

Has anyone had a custom tank built into a wall? We'll be moving later in the year and there is a partly glass wall that I'm tempted to change to an aquarium. Just don't know who to ask apart from random Google companies so any recommendations would be helpful.

Seek out the best tropical / marine shop and ask their advice.

• Options
    Talal said:

Fill it with beer and stick a tap on the front mate. You and the fish can both thank me :smile:
  • Options
    EastStand said:

Talal said:

Fill it with beer and stick a tap on the front mate. You and the fish can both tank me :smile:
  • Options

EastStand said:

Talal said:

Fill it with beer and stick a tap on the front mate. You and the fish can both tank me :smile:
    Dad joke alert!
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    @T_C_E How is your wife getting on with the tank?

I’ve made the decision to get back in to the Marine world and am looking at a second hand E260 Saturday morning.

I’d never heard of the E260 before this post and I’ve also been offered a reefer 250 In Devon.

Any advice or things that you / your wife like / dislike about the tank?
  • Options

@T_C_E How is your wife getting on with the tank?

I’ve made the decision to get back in to the Marine world and am looking at a second hand E260 Saturday morning.

I’d never heard of the E260 before this post and I’ve also been offered a reefer 250 In Devon.

Any advice or things that you / your wife like / dislike about the tank?

The tank is fine, marine fish and corals however. She was so for out of her depth (pun intended) it was unreal. I just don't have the time to help, I'd come home absolutely b*ll*xed and today "we" have to do a 50% water change!! Feckin we.......... She now has reverted back to tropical and she has the most expensive tropical aquarium in the area. If anyone is looking for some Hydra 26 lights and brackets for their set up and wants to make her an offer, far to good for a tropical set up. ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That’s such a shame. The number of 2nd hand tanks a year or so old that are on eBay is making me nervous.

If I go for the tank in Devon (it’s much cheaper) I’ll PM you as I’d be very interested in the Hydras.