Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Retiring or buying a holiday home in the US

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2017

Thanks all. Is the 180 days, in any one year? And if you did spend more than half a year you are then liable for US taxes? Just looking at potential options and would do loads of research first. Naples caught our eye on our current holiday. We would still have a place in the UK

Naples is nice. I'd certainly recommend the Gulf Coast. Some years ago, on our first visit to Marco Island, you could buy a large lot on a canal with a SW outlook for around $50k. I wanted to do this with a view to building a house later for a further $200k. Mrs cafc put her foot down and said no! You'd maybe pay $1.2mn for that type of place now. :-(
    For a much cheaper area, I also like Rotonda West nr Englewood. (If only because the roads are circular rather than in straight lines!) The zillow site is good for a general browse anyway. Check out 872 Boundary Blvd, Rotonda West as an example. Not too shabby for $340k!

One thing, the weather in Florida, like the rest of the US is affected by the jet stream. In winter, if that sucks down south, it can make even Florida have cold snaps. I've experienced frosts as far south as Rotonda. For that reason, if I'm going there in the winter, as I usually do, (for me, it's too hot and too wet in the summer months) I tend to opt for as far south as I can: hence why Marco Island is a favourite place for me.
  • Options

In my experience outside of the big cities like NY and LA, the Yanks are warm and very friendly (albeit not the brightest).

insular, unworldly, not dumb .. if you live in Kansas/Oklahoma, you are a LONG way from anywhere else and have a culture all your own
  • Options

In my experience outside of the big cities like NY and LA, the Yanks are warm and very friendly (albeit not the brightest).

insular, unworldly, not dumb .. if you live in Kansas/Oklahoma, you are a LONG way from anywhere else and have a culture all your own
    Not unlike parts of Britain then!

I once stayed on prince of Wales island, Alaska. Whilst not quite deliverance country, it was rarely visited by the English. I felt it my absolute duty to overcompensate and talk like a cross between Hugh Grant and Stephen Fry. They loved it. Very friendly part of the world, though not great culturally. Stunning scenery too
  • Options
    I love my holidays in America.

Been seven times since 2000 mostly Orlando but also New England and a fly-drive including Sanobel, Naples, Miami and down to the Keys.

Planning a big family Orlando visit next year.

Always found Americans friendly and welcoming who love to talk to us about where we come from.

When we visited in January 2002 they were so appreciative that we weren't put off after 9/11.

Hopefully buying a villa in the not too distant future as I've wanted to do that since my first visit.

Each to there own but I love it.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Not unlike parts of Britain then!

I once stayed on prince of Wales island, Alaska. Whilst not quite deliverance country, it was rarely visited by the English. I felt it my absolute duty to overcompensate and talk like a cross between Hugh Grant and Stephen Fry. They loved it. Very friendly part of the world, though not great culturally. Stunning scenery too
    I spent a couple of months near you, on the Queen Charlotte Islands and on the mainland at Prince Rupert and all stops south as far as Vancouver .. admittedly Canada and not the USA but 'deliverance country' ? .. no ... some parts like the wild wild west ? .. yes
  • Options

Florida is one option we might consider. It's not for a few years. May depend on what happens with Brexit. I wouldn't have chosen to come here on holiday but my partner was at a conference in Orlando so I tagged along and then we had a 9 day holiday. My attitude has completely changed - not as brash and loud etc in lots of place than I expected

One thing I'd say about Florida is before buying property there be sure to visit in the heart of summer, because it is brutal. I lived there for a year, still have no idea how I did it. We're talking 90+F with 100% humidity. You basically just avoid going outside in the summer.
  • Options
    Thanks for all your comments; really helpful. We'd be keeping places back in the UK so will avoid the worst of the weather in both countries. And if RD finally goes, I'll have to come back for a few matches of course
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

This time last year we were planning to buy a rental property in Florida. Along came Brexit and My savings were worth about $40k less and it was no longer as attractive.
    We'll still do it but the time isn't quite right.
    We did a 5 day viewing trip last year and really liked Reunion and Champions Gate so will probably go for somewhere established and with clubhouse etc.

I'm not a huge fan of Americans. It have always loved Orlando.

Take a few trips, see where floats your boat and do your research. Have you considered Hawai'i? Now that's a different proposition altogether

Please may I have some of your money? Skint.
  • Options
    We bought a place in Sarasota a year ago and are currently doing it up. It is part of a gated community, which as non full time residents we preferred, except beware HOA's and endless fees....

Initially we bought the house as a weekend vacation home (we are in Bermuda) and longer term as part of our retirement plan, hopefully along with a less hot summer option.

NYA is of course correct about the issues and costs of healthcare for retirees living in the US. And get good tax advice because it is complicated as is the visa system.

As for Florida. Yes it is stifling hot in the summer months, and choose carefully because the state has both economic issues and can be geographically bland and ugly.

Yet there are some very lovely towns and cities (mostly full of imports including many Brits). The gulf coast is beautiful though from Tampa down to Marco Island. Tampa, Sarasota and Naples are booming but you can literally own a castle for $300k.

We really liked Naples but it is a little soulless, and is very spread out with no real centre to it, or a cultural soul. If you are a golfer, then it is heaven..

Sarasota though, for Florida, has a wide and varied cultural scene, some of the countries best rated restaurants, a bar scene and a very walkable downtown plus the touristy but enticing St Armand's Circle. The Keys and the beaches are drop dead lovely. Although @Bermuda_red and @LoOkOuT would agree with me that after living in Bermuda, beaches elsewhere are always a disappointment.

We looked at Orlando, Bradenton, Sarasota, Naples, Clearwater and Bonita Springs. As well Miami.

Good luck, and if you need some advice let me know.
  • Options
    Admittedly I've never been to the States, but have been to France, Spain, Portugal, Austria, Italy, Andora, Cyprus, Egypt, Israel, The Bahamas, Barbados, Australia & Canada..............and I'd never what to retire anywhere apart from England. It has a moderate climate (never too hot & never too cold, has 4 brilliant seasons ( just love the autumn colours & the spring sunshine) and cant beat scenery such as the Welsh hills or the West country coastline.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Questionable why you'd want to buy at all - increasingly easy to rent wherever you want and you are not beholden to one place.

Admittedly some advantages to having your own place logistically.....
  • Options
    edited May 2017

Thanks all. Is the 180 days, in any one year? And if you did spend more than half a year you are then liable for US taxes? Just looking at potential options and would do loads of research first. Naples caught our eye on our current holiday. We would still have a place in the UK

have you considered Australia or New Zealand?

• Options

Admittedly I've never been to the States, but have been to France, Spain, Portugal, Austria, Italy, Andora, Cyprus, Egypt, Israel, The Bahamas, Barbados, Australia & Canada..............and I'd never what to retire anywhere apart from England. It has a moderate climate (never too hot & never too cold, has 4 brilliant seasons ( just love the autumn colours & the spring sunshine) and cant beat scenery such as the Welsh hills or the West country coastline.

I'd rather spend my retirement in Australia than anywhere else but it will probably end up being in Cornwall which isn't a bad place to see out your days.

• Options

"Never too cold" - are you having a laugh?!!!
  • Options
    @golfaddick makes a good point - in terms of year-round bearability (for actually getting on with your life), the SE of England has one of the best climates in the world.
  • Options

"Never too cold" - are you having a laugh?!!!
    No, I'm not. I don't know what you call cold, but it has only really snowed here once in the last 5 years and the last time I had to dig my car out was in 2010/11. Most recent winters it struggles to get below freezing, and if it does, its only for a day or two. Last Christmas it was around 5-8 degrees during the day.

• Options
    Never been to Florida and whilst you should try everywhere at least once it does not appeal . Always thought of it as the "Essex of America" .Wanstead or Billericay only constantly sunny and humid but with the same loud and brash arrogance of the people . Western Sizzler , Jenny's , Epcot Centre , Disneyland and golf course after golf course is not for me although there must be more to it than that .Will probably go there at some point but the West Coast from San Diego to Vancouver is so much more interesting and that Californian peaceful easy feeling much more what it's about .