Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Worst decade for pop music.

Comments

• Options
    80s was the best music. It has gone to pot since.
  • Options
    90's and i'm a 90's kid.
  • Options

stonemuse said:

Whichever decade you were 17 in will be the best and which ever you were 27 in the worse.

The next best will be the one you were 7 in.

By the time you are 37 you have stopped listening to new pop music and just listen to the music you like when you were 17

Agree with your first point, decade you were 17 would be the best.

Disagree with your final point, I am way beyond 37 and have never stopped listening to new music.
    New music or new POP music?
    There's a lot of good music about now - pop charts are no longer so relevant. Technology opens things up...
    Good music sure but I would say,and of course it was a sweeping and humorous generalisation, that it's not pop music but new stuff in the genre's you already liked.
    Not really true - grew up listening to punk,reggae and R&B but have gone on to listen to a lot of electronic stuff, rap and grime. Blues is probably my favourite but that I think is down to getting older as it now makes more sense.

The 70s was an amazing time to watch music as there were so many cheap venues to watch live bands. Used to regularly go to two or three gigs a week.

The 70's were wonderful for music, both to listen and to watch as you say.

Such a mixture - Glam, Prog, Punk, New Wave, Electronic, Krautrock, Heavy Metal, resurgence of Ska and Reggae, Rockabilly revival, New Romantics, Goth - the list is endless.

• Options

The Cure, Depeche Mode, New Order, Pet Shop Boys are some of my favourite bands so... I love the 80's.

I was with you until you said The Pet Shop Boys :-)
  • Options

Rubish. The 80's was one of the best decades for music. Off the top of my head & not looking at my record/CD collection I give you.

Simple Minds
    U2
    The Alarm
    Spandau Ballet
    Duran Duran
    OMD
    Tears foe Fears
    Frankie goes....
    Michael Jackson
    Fleetwood Mac

IMO it started to go sour once S.A.W got involved with their manufactured pop & groups like Bros. Worst period was 1988 - 1993. Then brit pop came along & we got Oasis, Suede, Blur etc.

Probably best time for music was the 20 year period of 1965-1985. (Rubber Soul to Live Aid) Get any 15-18 year old to listen to the supergroups of that time & they cant go far wrong.

On the other hand, Phil Collins.
  • Options
    I've loathed the last 20 years or more of unoriginal, shallow and unmemorable pop music.

No more melodies because all the tunes have been used up!

Instruments have been drowned out by wall to wall vocals. Real musicians express themselves with instruments and this has disappeared from the pop scene.
  • Options

I'm holding back from a huge rant about this but I personally think right now is the worst decade for music... songs of today won't be remembered in 20/30 years time like they have been in the last 6 decades. It seems to me that right now, music it written for a quick buck using cheap and easy lyrics that are good for a 30 second tv advert jingle.

I could have a massive rant about this, downside of working in the music industry but there's a general consensus going around these days that creativity is a dying art!

I would agree but I would say that today there are at least a few artists who are big enough that they will be remembered. Ed Sheeran and Adele, whilst might not be everyone's cup of tea, will still be popular to the masses in 10-15 years time at least I think.

There was a period about five years ago where there was literally nothing of interest at the top of the charts.
  • Options

I've loathed the last 20 years or more of unoriginal, shallow and unmemorable pop music.

No more melodies because all the tunes have been used up!

Instruments have been drowned out by wall to wall vocals. Real musicians express themselves with instruments and this has disappeared from the pop scene.

I'd expect this kind of opinion from a casual fan, but coming from a fellow Cardiacs fan, I'm quite disappointed
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    The 1670s were pretty sparse. Only Matthew Locke's Psyche in 1675 of any merit.

I just knew that for my own sanity I should not have opened this thread.....

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I have always thought Michael Jackson was absolute shite.

Clearly the bloke had talent, but I find his stuff absolutely emotionally void, just an entertainment product.
  • Options
    I find it hard to judge. When I was in my teens and 20s, I had time to see a lot of bands and follow music, so that made the late 60s to early 80s good. Then work & children took over my life from the early 80s to around 2005, so I lost touch and I feel that there was no good music when, in truth, I just didn't have time to explore. Since then, I have had time to see a load of bands and I think the current wave is really good although different from previous decades.
  • Options
    Rap, whenever that was
  • Options

Rap, whenever that was

You missed the C out . :smiley:
  • Options
    about 1987-mid 90s. I did think I would kind of agree with the argument about the 80s, because I turned 17 in 1982 and remember thinking the charts were full of crap and preferring what I heard on John Peel or saw at Thames Poly's cellar bar. And then I looked up the number ones from that year and was quite surprised by how many were good (or at least tolerable). The Jam had 2 number ones, Madness one, Kraftwerk, Dexys, Culture Club... Admittedly there were also some truly awful records out at the time (Tight Fit, Bucks Fizz, Rene and Renato). The 50th best-selling record in the UK that year was Papa's Got a Brand New Pigbag.

Mind you, 1983's number ones do prove the theory IMO.

• Options
    70s. A truly shocking 'transitional' period that struggled for any real identity. It was only really saved by the punk era (in my opinion of course).

Would have said 80s but Depeche Mode saved that of course!! (From 1983 onwards).
  • Options

70s. A truly shocking 'transitional' period that struggled for any real identity. It was only really saved by the punk era (in my opinion of course).

Would have said 80s but Depeche Mode saved that of course!! (From 1983 onwards).

Obviously you missed on listening to Led Zep, Genesis, Pink Floyd, The Who, The Stones, Fleetwood Mac, The Eagles.

check out the top 50 albums of all time & the above bands will be in there - not sure if DM will be though.
  • Options
    its all subjective
  • Options
    Whenever I think of a truly embarrassing pop song, it tends to be one from the 90s.

Some of my very favourite bands are mid 90s onwards but the drop off seems huge. The late 90s in particular with The Offspring etc the worst part of it.
  • Options
    Pop music in the '70s - Glam rock was pony (although I love Bolan and T-rex) and was just waiting for a kick up the arse big time, and then Punk happened, for those old buggers like me who were around, it was (i assume) the same epiphany as when Rock n Roll hit in the fifties........as far as I am aware no other 2 genres of music had such an influence...........
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Obviously you missed on listening to Led Zep, Genesis, Pink Floyd, The Who, The Stones, Fleetwood Mac, The Eagles.

check out the top 50 albums of all time & the above bands will be in there - not sure if DM will be though.

Maybe not , but there must be something about them , 36 year continuous career , over 100 million albums sold , still touring and new album every 3 or so years .

• Options
    They've had 43 Top 40 hits, but have never had a number one. I believe that this is a record for any band and is only beaten by Morrissey if you count his solo stuff as well as Smiths releases.
  • Options
    Suprised the fifties have had such an easy ride - there was only one type of music really. Must have been dull.

The seventies/early eighties had the tail end of Glam rock (Bowie and Queen), punk, ska, new wave and the new romantics. Bands like OMD, Ultravox, ABC, Japan, Specials, Madness, Buzzcocks, Sham 69. Plus all those oddities like Jilted John, the Vapours, the Passions, Landscape etc. Mainstays like Squeeze, the Police, etc The charts were alive with music, as well as the dross pop music which inhabits every decade. My wife plays a lot of top 40 music in the car, and it sounds like the musical equivalent of dragging nails down a blackboard. The music is always behind the empty smiles of the likes of Pink and Lady GaGa, and the seventies/eighties were the Summit of creation :-)

All downhill since then....
  • Options

Suprised the fifties have had such an easy ride - there was only one type of music really. Must have been dull.

The seventies/early eighties had the tail end of Glam rock (Bowie and Queen), punk, ska, new wave and the new romantics. Bands like OMD, Ultravox, ABC, Japan, Specials, Madness, Buzzcocks, Sham 69. Plus all those oddities like Jilted John, the Vapours, the Passions, Landscape etc. Mainstays like Squeeze, the Police, etc The charts were alive with music, as well as the dross pop music which inhabits every decade. My wife plays a lot of top 40 music in the car, and it sounds like the musical equivalent of dragging nails down a blackboard. The music is always behind the empty smiles of the likes of Pink and Lady GaGa, and the seventies/eighties were the Summit of creation :-)

All downhill since then....

50s far from my favourite but it's a bit harsh to say only one type of music. Rock & Roll, R & B, Stax Records founded in 1957, Blues, Country, the fag end of the big band/swing era, plus all the ballad/crooner stuff Tony Bennett, Frank Sinatra, etc. It was also a time when jazz was popular, Louis Armstrong, Thelonious Monk, Miles Davis, Charlie Parker....
  • Options
    There was good and bad in most decades...I'm more into Rock and Metal with all it's many genres...late 70's and 80's pop is a lot better than some of the shit out now.
  • Options

Please tell me this is a wind-up!
  • Options
    There are no bad decades for pop music, just decades that chime less and less with us as we age further and further beyond the target audience. The paying public determines what output/product/material is successful and acquires an elevated profile, thereby the designation of "pop music". Whether we as individuals like it is irrelevant. Dismissing a genre or era as "bad" is in equal part fallacious and arrogant. You don't like it, you don't understand it, fine but that doesn't make it less valid or valuable than the stuff you do like.
    Heresy alert: not everything Elvis Presley or The Beatles published, even at the peak of their careers, was of uniform quality, but their places in the pantheon are assured. Their sheer popularity is the only valid measure of their achievement.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

Whichever decade you were 17 in will be the best and which ever you were 27 in the worse.

By the time you are 37 you have stopped listening to new pop music and just listen to the music you like when you were 17

I still listen to a lot of new music and it's only really 80s stuff that I've never gone back to. I was 17 in the 70s which remains my favourite decade followed by the 60s but I still think a lot of good stuff has come out since the 90s.

See above

stonemuse said:

Agree with your first point, decade you were 17 would be the best.

Disagree with your final point, I am way beyond 37 and have never stopped listening to new music.
    same here. The only music i can't listen to is reggae.
    Listen to more reggae now than ever. Mainly 70s roots and culture though
    did you buy Tighten up vol. 2 for the cover or the music?
    Honest answer please.
    I think it may have been the first album I bought and loved it, especially the front cover , which may have been why I bought it but I was, being a skinhead at the time, listening to the music too :). still play it today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsFA4Rr-GaM
  • Options
    T'Pau, hated them!
  • Options

T'Pau, hated them!

so does Gary Barlow - slated Carol Decker for her vocals on China in your hand