Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Worst decade for pop music.

Comments

• Options

stonemuse said:

Whichever decade you were 17 in will be the best and which ever you were 27 in the worse.

The next best will be the one you were 7 in.

By the time you are 37 you have stopped listening to new pop music and just listen to the music you like when you were 17

Agree with your first point, decade you were 17 would be the best.

Disagree with your final point, I am way beyond 37 and have never stopped listening to new music.
    New music or new POP music?
    There's a lot of good music about now - pop charts are no longer so relevant. Technology opens things up...
    Good music sure but I would say,and of course it was a sweeping and humorous generalisation, that it's not pop music but new stuff in the genre's you already liked.
    Not really true - grew up listening to punk,reggae and R&B but have gone on to listen to a lot of electronic stuff, rap and grime. Blues is probably my favourite but that I think is down to getting older as it now makes more sense.

The 70s was an amazing time to watch music as there were so many cheap venues to watch live bands. Used to regularly go to two or three gigs a week.

The 70s were the best but guess when I was 17?

I read someone was claiming that a policitian want to take us "back to the 70s" but it was being said like that was a bad thing? How could that be?
  • Options
    The 80s was terrific for music. I honestly think music of this decade is the worst.
  • Options

Has to be the eighties - nothing else comes close. Most of the music I bought during that decade has aged terribly - a decade of terrible haircuts, awful fashion and some very tinny music with terrible lyrics.

Worst memories:
    Thompson Twins
    Toyah Willcox
    Bros
    Kajagoogoo

Artists like Spandau Ballet, Duran Duran, Level 42, Phil Collins, Ultravox, Human League,
    Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark, Dire Straits are reasons why I love 80's music.
  • Options
    DiscoCAFC said:

Has to be the eighties - nothing else comes close. Most of the music I bought during that decade has aged terribly - a decade of terrible haircuts, awful fashion and some very tinny music with terrible lyrics.

Worst memories:
    Thompson Twins
    Toyah Willcox
    Bros
    Kajagoogoo

Artists like Spandau Ballet, Duran Duran, Level 42, Phil Collins, Ultravox, Human League,
    Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark, Dire Straits are reasons why I love 80's music.
    Squeeze, XTC, Talk Talk, Pet Shop Boys...
  • Options

DiscoCAFC said:

Worst memories:
    Thompson Twins
    Toyah Willcox
    Bros
    Kajagoogoo

Squeeze, XTC, Talk Talk, Pet Shop Boys...
    The Wedding Present, The Smiths.
    The 80s is a candidate for worst if you judge by the shite in the charts, but dig a bit deeper and there was some cracking stuff.
  • Options
    DiscoCAFC said:

Worst memories:
    Thompson Twins
    Toyah Willcox
    Bros
    Kajagoogoo

Can't say I like any of these - think most 80s music has aged terribly. Used to be a big fan of Human League, ABC and Heaven 17 but all sounds very dated now.
  • Options
    Worst decade - since Simon Cowell etc arrived, although the rot started with Take That. Though, as has been pointed out, despite the shite, there is a lot of good new music, and the internet has made that accessible. The charts are more or less irrelevant, though I wouldn't mind being a quid behind that bloke called Feat. :wink:
  • Options
    To be fair you can say that about most decades. There were some great tunes in the 80s and some duff ones and some that have aged.
  • Options
    The Noughties. The ratio of shit to gold is overwhelming.
  • Options

DiscoCAFC said:

Worst memories:
    Thompson Twins
    Toyah Willcox
    Bros
    Kajagoogoo

Can't say I like any of these - think most 80s music has aged terribly. Used to be a big fan of Human League, ABC and Heaven 17 but all sounds very dated now.
    80s production has aged badly, but there were some very good acts around, and a lot more variety than you get nowadays

A typical Top of the Pops might have a teenie band, a soul act, a heavy metal act, a bit of easy listerning, some synth pop, an indie band etc
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    After visiting New Orleans, Memphis and Nashville last summer, I've become interested in music again after a couple of decades of indifference. I was never interested in jazz but am now trying out Chet Baker, Oscar Peterson and Miles Davis - and bloody love it.

It was the STAX studio and the Sun Studio which I most enjoyed so I'm listening to a lot of 60s and 70s music (bought 'Superfly' on vinyl in Sainsbury's this evening).

My student days were the late 80s and I still enjoy some bands from then: The Smiths, The Cure, Talk Talk, Prefab Sprout
  • Options
    What made the 80's so bad was not just the dearth of good new bands but all the bands from the '60's and '70's nose-dived as well. It was an era when the producer reigned supreme. Never a good thing. Having done a quick check on what came out in the noughties it looks like a pretty good decade to me, produced some of my favourite-ever bands. The '90's was probably better overall tho.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

pilchard said:

The 2000's have not particularly set the world on fire either.

Yeah, 2000 to 2010 was a pretty shitty time. I was at Uni from 2001 to 2004 so that should be one of the 'golden periods' in my music collection, but I bought hardly any records during that time and ended up mostly listening to 90s stuff.

The 80s was when terrible pop music really started to get a hold in the charts, but there was still plenty of good stuff around that. I the 00s there seemed to be terrible pop music and lot of really generic and mediocre other stuff.
    You must roughly be the same age as me as I'm nearly 32. I used to love techno stuff like Fragma, Alice Deejay, Flip N Fill, Scooter and Lasgo.

The 00's got worse as the years went along. I think the music has got a lot better of the past 4 years though.
  • Options

A good BBC article on modern music, and why hit songs require so many writers now

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-39934986

It slightly explains to me why a lot of current chart music lacks a bit of "soul", it's all too precisely honed.

I don't know if the music this century is worse than before, but it does seem less original, I can't think of anything particularly novel to emerge this century

Spot on in my opinion. Most stuff, even the 'edgy' guitar bands seem to have polished themselves to become edgy.

The advent of streamed music seems to me to have coincided with a decrease in creativity, in a lack of 'scenes' and 'movements' that used to happen when bands fed off of each other.

There is almost too music choice and the music is too easily available and delivered too fast, which seems the wrong thing to say, but it may lead to a less organic product.

• Options

Whichever decade you were 17 in will be the best and which ever you were 27 in the worse.

By the time you are 37 you have stopped listening to new pop music and just listen to the music you like when you were 17

That absolutely works for me - 70s the best - 80s the worst.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Not sure how the 80s can be considered the worst when you had the likes of Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston etc at their peak.

The time around 2005-2010 was dreadful. It pains me to say it as those were my Uni years. Indie shite that all sounded the same and the overrated blandness of Beyoncé/RnB in general.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Fortunately I like lots of different types of music so for me every​ decade has its great albums. If it is just specifically chart music then I would say the last couple of decades have been poor. but tbf since the turn of the century there's even more choice to easily keep clear of anything you don't like.
  • Options
    The best period was 1965-1972. Otherwise patchy. Most of 1974-75 were naff and ditto 1982-1996 inclusive in my view. 1977-1981 were pretty good too.

But you can't compare like with like. The digitalisation of music (with thousands of acts doing 'brilliant' albums on lap tops) means that stuff today is generally of an amazingly high quality: just watch Later with Jools Holland.
  • Options
    This is tricky. I'm 29. I doubt that a lot/ if any of today's artists will be listened to in forty years, whereas a heck of a lot of young people are listening to Bob Dylan, The Beatles etc. Don't know if anyone has any thoughts on why this is? Music seemed to have a huge cultural impact from the mid 1950s to '60s/ early '70s. Is it just the technological advances or that new ground was being broken and that there is less to conquer in the world of music or simply that the age of Lennon and Dylan etc. was a one off? Was it a golden age?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Even though the fashions in the 80s haven't lasted nor have the 60s clothes al a Austin Powers and the flares. platform shoes and psychedelic nonsense of the 70s.

I grew up listening to the 60s music that my parents used to play all the time. It all sounded 'old' to me. I was way too young in the 70s to notice music but I love all the 80s stuff - I turned 17 in 1988. In reality I think I like the memories that the various songs seem to pull from the reaches of brain more than the music itself, but I can listen to it all day, as can many of my friends. I have a few friends that are in to music and listen to new bands, both main stream and the lesser known ones, but they are the exception rather than the norm.

Since I started playing the guitar I've been looking into different types of music, mainly, if I'm honest, because there are a limited number of songs that I can play with half a dozen chords, but I still tend to prefer listening to 80s music or, strangely, Oasis.

It occurs to me that when I'm cooking and I put one of the 'Now that's what I call music' albums on the Sonos I'm subjecting my son to the same treatment that my parents did to me. Funny how we turn out the same.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    cafctom said:

Not sure how the 80s can be considered the worst when you had the likes of Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston etc at their peak.

The time around 2005-2010 was dreadful. It pains me to say it as those were my Uni years. Indie shite that all sounded the same and the overrated blandness of Beyoncé/RnB in general.

I love the diversity of the world, you have named three artists and a supposed musical genre that I bung in the same cart all day long. R n B was what Bo Diddley did in the 50s and The Rolling Stones did in the 60s - it's so unoriginal they couldn't even be bothered to invent a new name for it. Jackson and Houston fall into that category completely. Along with Celine Dion probably three of the most overrated people in the world...

The 80s were fine, but not because of them... :lol:
  • Options

cafctom said:

I love the diversity of the world, you have named three artists and a supposed musical genre that I bung in the same cart all day long. R n B was what Bo Diddley did in the 50s and The Rolling Stones did in the 60s - it's so unoriginal they couldn't even be bothered to invent a new name for it. Jackson and Houston fall into that category completely. Along with Celine Dion probably three of the most overrated people in the world...

The 80s were fine, but not because of them... :lol:
    +1

RnB in the form of the Stones, The Kinks, The Who, Small Faces et al was dead at the end of the 60s.
  • Options
    The Cure, Depeche Mode, New Order, Pet Shop Boys are some of my favourite bands so... I love the 80's.
  • Options
    For me there are certain genres of the 80`s that were very poor , I love the Electronic /synth groups of the day and still listen to it now (new OMD , Gary Numan albums out this year ) , there is also been a huge revival in this style of music which I follow avidly .
    For me the most awful decades has to be the late 90`s and 00`s
  • Options
    I am staggered to discover that there are a variety of conflicting opinions on this topic.
  • Options

very true ...same for what i thought was a charlton golden era in the 70s beating the likes of chelasea and spurs at home with enormous gates but when you look at it in perspective we had some poor seasons then. just the same as some of those re runs of TOTP on BBC 4 when you realise there was some utter dross that made it into the Charts at the time
  • Options
    Rubish. The 80's was one of the best decades for music. Off the top of my head & not looking at my record/CD collection I give you.

Simple Minds
    U2
    The Alarm
    Spandau Ballet
    Duran Duran
    OMD
    Tears foe Fears
    Frankie goes....
    Michael Jackson
    Fleetwood Mac

IMO it started to go sour once S.A.W got involved with their manufactured pop & groups like Bros. Worst period was 1988 - 1993. Then brit pop came along & we got Oasis, Suede, Blur etc.

Probably best time for music was the 20 year period of 1965-1985. (Rubber Soul to Live Aid) Get any 15-18 year old to listen to the supergroups of that time & they cant go far wrong.

• Options

After visiting New Orleans, Memphis and Nashville last summer, I've become interested in music again after a couple of decades of indifference. I was never interested in jazz but am now trying out Chet Baker, Oscar Peterson and Miles Davis - and bloody love it.

It was the STAX studio and the Sun Studio which I most enjoyed so I'm listening to a lot of 60s and 70s music (bought 'Superfly' on vinyl in Sainsbury's this evening).

My student days were the late 80s and I still enjoy some bands from then: The Smiths, The Cure, Talk Talk, Prefab Sprout

Don't get me started on Stax or Curtis Mayfield! All I listen to is Sixties and Seventies soul and funk (and newer soul releases on Daptone and Big Crown records, such as Lady Wray and Lee Fields).

• Options

I still listen to a lot of new music and it's only really 80s stuff that I've never gone back to. I was 17 in the 70s which remains my favourite decade followed by the 60s but I still think a lot of good stuff has come out since the 90s.

See above

stonemuse said:

Agree with your first point, decade you were 17 would be the best.

Disagree with your final point, I am way beyond 37 and have never stopped listening to new music.
    same here. The only music i can't listen to is reggae.
    Listen to more reggae now than ever. Mainly 70s roots and culture though
    Hahahaha.

Heard a bit of the Ziggy Marley interview that promoted the 40 year reissue of Exodus where he has remastered it with extra stuff from the original tapes.

Fair to say he has no time for tags like 'roots' or indeed other genre tags. Good music and bad music.