Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gas safety certificate advice

Two years ago I had boiler installed as part of a new kitchen refurb. The builder brought his own plumber in to fit it, but despite repeated requests, I've never been able to get them to provide a gas safety certificate for it. The last time I asked them I was told it was only needed if I wanted to sell my house, so in theory they could sort it in 20 years time if needs be.

What I want to know is

1. Are safety certificates easy to get arranged via other means, or will I hit issues over the fact the boiler was installed two years ago?
2. Is the builder liable for not providing the certificate even though he promised one at the beginning of the work, or is it fully down to me to sort?

Said builder has since gone on to screw me out of thousands of pounds on other jobs I gave him, so I'm about to take him to court and was hoping to add this to my case against him.

Cheers for any help

Comments

• Options
    when the boiler was fitted the local authority should have been notified, depending on the manufacturer this is usually done through the said manufacturers website/app we only install vaillaint as we are approved vaillaint installers, so when a boiler is registered for its garantee, the gas safe part of the registration is done also. was you given any paperwork when the boiler was fitted, such as a bench mark etc?.
  • Options

when the boiler was fitted the local authority should have been notified, depending on the manufacturer this is usually done through the said manufacturers website/app we only install vaillaint as we are approved vaillaint installers, so when a boiler is registered for its garantee, the gas safe part of the registration is done also. was you given any paperwork when the boiler was fitted, such as a bench mark etc?.

All I got was the instruction manual
  • Options
    imo the reluctance to issue it probably means the installer wasn't qualified to install it
  • Options
    Landlords have to provide yearly gas safety certificates, so I assume that you could get one done by any registered installer (or British Gas even). There will be a fee, of course.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    You don't need one. A CP12 is a Landlords gas safety certificate. The installer needs to be Gas Safe registered, otherwise he's breaking the law. The fines and imprisonment dished out to anyone that works on a gas boiler who isn't Gas Safe ensures this is fairly rare nowadays.

As palarsehater says, the installer needs to inform the LA of any installation and has to provide them with the relevant certification. It may be worthwhile checking with them. If they don't have one it may cause some problems when you come to sell the property.

If it were me, I'd just set up a service contract with BG or a local firm, then at least you'd know if there were any issues.

I'd install a CO detector close to the boiler if it were me.
  • Options
    Yeah I'd get BG Homecare or something just for a year to get it all checked out.

• Options
    Depending on where you are as others have said a landlords gas safety would suffice, shouldnt cost no more than 80-120 quid, wouldnt bother with british gas we gas engineers make enough money fixing stuff they cant.
  • Options

Two years ago I had boiler installed as part of a new kitchen refurb. The builder brought his own plumber in to fit it, but despite repeated requests, I've never been able to get them to provide a gas safety certificate for it. The last time I asked them I was told it was only needed if I wanted to sell my house, so in theory they could sort it in 20 years time if needs be.

What I want to know is

1. Are safety certificates easy to get arranged via other means, or will I hit issues over the fact the boiler was installed two years ago?
    2. Is the builder liable for not providing the certificate even though he promised one at the beginning of the work, or is it fully down to me to sort?

Said builder has since gone on to screw me out of thousands of pounds on other jobs I gave him, so I'm about to take him to court and was hoping to add this to my case against him.

Cheers for any help

I'd add that to the case. The installer needs to be registered. The only reason not to have the relevant paper work is that the builder has had you over.
    No doubt your boiler is all ok and properly fitted as you are still living after two years, but there are obviously few things that need to be inspected, for your own piece of mind if nothing else. I seriously doubt the manufactures guarantee is valid without a Gas Safe certificate from the installer. He would of had to sign and fill out the form with his number on it and then register it with the manufacturer. You can get a certificate easy enough from a registered engineer once inspected, I do this yearly.
  • Options
    British Gas website - arrange online £70.
  • Options
    You can check whether the installer was registered here https://gassaferegister.co.uk/
    You can also report an illegal installer here: https://gassaferegister.co.uk/help-and-advice/complaints-report-an-illegal/
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Let me know if you do need a CP12 (Landlords gas safety certificate).

Depending on the number of gas appliances the company I work for is usually quite competitive.