Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Supporters Trust

edited May 2017 in General Charlton
I stopped as a member a couple of years due to my personal opinion re it should be 100% Charlton related, however with the current situation we as supporters find ourselves in with regards to the ownership, i will be rejoining tomorrow.

I personally feel that the more members the trust has, the stronger it can be when standing up against the current owners.

http://www.castrust.org/join/

Comments

• Options
    I agree shirty and good to hear you want to rejoin
  • Options
    Delighted you want to rejoin, @shirty5.
  • Options
    Welcome back Shirty5!
  • Options

What do you mean by 100% Charlton related?

Possibly talking about The Olympic Stadium/West Ham issue. I know Prague did most of "the work", but it went under the "Trust" banner. Personally, I've always been a member.
  • Options
    Personally I was a big backer of the Trust, but my membership lapsed when they kept seeking dialogue when I thought that time had long since been and gone. However I think the trust has an important part to play now in trying to unite the support base, if that is possible.
  • Options

What do you mean by 100% Charlton related?

Possibly talking about The Olympic Stadium/West Ham issue. I know Prague did most of "the work", but it went under the "Trust" banner. Personally, I've always been a member.
    I see. Well IMO it was CAFC related as there were fears it would impact on us and our support.

I've been a member for a few years and have no plans to change that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    "We would really love to have one or two young 'digital' people with us, but we recognise they probably don't want to attend meetings with a load of old farts."

Straight from The Prague Charm Handbook of How to Curry Favour with your Fellow Board Members
  • Options
    to boost members have you considered an application form in the Voice, if Rick were to agree of course?
  • Options
    Thanks, @cantersaddick, from this old fart ;-)
  • Options
    edited May 2017

Can't comment on your age but I'd prefer you didn't fart in my vicinity!
  • Options

Dear Canters, It's the holy grail to fart in any direction especially if your father is a hamster and mother smells of elderberries. ;0)
  • Options
    Solidgone said:

Dear Canters, It's the holy grail to fart in any direction especially if your father is a hamster and mother smells of elderberries. ;0)
    Not sure I understand this...
  • Options

Solidgone said:

Phew, thought it was just me. Wibble.
  • Options

Solidgone said:

Nor me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Solidgone said:

Nor me.
    Nor me :smile:
  • Options
    Monty python joke. Definition of old fart humour
  • Options

There is a second reason why we need the numbers, and its possibly more important than that which @shirty5 mentions. It looks like no matter how strong our membership is, (and it remains one of the biggest, 3 x more members than Fulham or QPR), RD will not accept we are more than just vinegar pissers.

We have to look to the next owners. With them, we should aim to regain real supporter representation, ideally a seat on the Board. We have to show that we are reasonable people who understand the realities of the business of football, but we also need to show that we are genuinely are a big chunk of the fanbase. That is why every new and renewed member will increase our chances of renewing the fans' voice in the boardroom which was a big part of the most successful period of our modern history.

- Agree completely. The Trust is the biggest recognised supporters' body by a country mile and in the long term it will provide the means and the communication to engage the fanbase if and when the shit really hits the fan and the existence of the club or the Valley are seriously threatened. The bigger it is, the more authority it wields with whomever owns the club. It only costs a fiver per year (a pint in the West End) and that primarily covers admin costs for the updates, newsletters etc. Irrespective of differing views on specifics of how our club is run, we should all make the effort to join.
    @Cardinal Sin

Thanks, and just to say, for those who want to join and be active, there is a space on the Board, and elections whenever there are more interested people than spaces. But in addition I think (and need to persuade the rest of the Board how this can work) that rather than it being The Board, and The Members, there should be a space and role for active members who cannot commit time to attend all the board meets, etc., but who pursue specific "projects" where they have expertise, knowledge, or simply a great idea. We would really love to have one or two young 'digital' people with us, but we recognise they probably don't want to attend meetings with a load of old farts.

If that strikes a chord with anyone, just get in touch.

Not sure how 'digital' you meant but I'd consider myself so.

I'm moving permanently back to London this Summer (finished uni) and sounds like the kind've thing I'd be interested in. Will send you a direct message.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

There is a second reason why we need the numbers, and its possibly more important than that which @shirty5 mentions. It looks like no matter how strong our membership is, (and it remains one of the biggest, 3 x more members than Fulham or QPR), RD will not accept we are more than just vinegar pissers.

We have to look to the next owners. With them, we should aim to regain real supporter representation, ideally a seat on the Board. We have to show that we are reasonable people who understand the realities of the business of football, but we also need to show that we are genuinely are a big chunk of the fanbase. That is why every new and renewed member will increase our chances of renewing the fans' voice in the boardroom which was a big part of the most successful period of our modern history.

- Agree completely. The Trust is the biggest recognised supporters' body by a country mile and in the long term it will provide the means and the communication to engage the fanbase if and when the shit really hits the fan and the existence of the club or the Valley are seriously threatened. The bigger it is, the more authority it wields with whomever owns the club. It only costs a fiver per year (a pint in the West End) and that primarily covers admin costs for the updates, newsletters etc. Irrespective of differing views on specifics of how our club is run, we should all make the effort to join.
    @Cardinal Sin

Thanks, and just to say, for those who want to join and be active, there is a space on the Board, and elections whenever there are more interested people than spaces. But in addition I think (and need to persuade the rest of the Board how this can work) that rather than it being The Board, and The Members, there should be a space and role for active members who cannot commit time to attend all the board meets, etc., but who pursue specific "projects" where they have expertise, knowledge, or simply a great idea. We would really love to have one or two young 'digital' people with us, but we recognise they probably don't want to attend meetings with a load of old farts.

Give us a shout if you need an overseas consultant! Except for Australia...I refuse to acknowledge the wrong hemisphere.

Seriously though, I am so, so happy to hear you talking about a seat on the board. It's something I've banged on about on here, but hadn't seen anyone else mention (that said, I am not involved particularly involved in Trust matters so it's likely I've just missed it). I think having a supporters' representative on the board is crucial, and should be a requirement in this country. There are a limited number of things the FA can do right now to improve how football clubs are run, but that is definitely one.

Along with Leeds, I'd be happy to volunteer some time. I'm not local obviously, so it'd need to be web-based and don't know if there's a need for that, but always happy to help.
  • Options
    @SDAddick

I will PM you. Cheers, mate.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

@Cardinal Sin

Give us a shout if you need an overseas consultant! Except for Australia...I refuse to acknowledge the wrong hemisphere.

Seriously though, I am so, so happy to hear you talking about a seat on the board. It's something I've banged on about on here, but hadn't seen anyone else mention (that said, I am not involved particularly involved in Trust matters so it's likely I've just missed it). I think having a supporters' representative on the board is crucial, and should be a requirement in this country. There are a limited number of things the FA can do right now to improve how football clubs are run, but that is definitely one.

Along with Leeds, I'd be happy to volunteer some time. I'm not local obviously, so it'd need to be web-based and don't know if there's a need for that, but always happy to help.
    It's a seat on the "Trust board" not the football club.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

SDAddick said:

@Cardinal Sin

It's a seat on the "Trust board" not the football club.
    I believe @SDAddick is referring to our goal of regaining a seat on the Charlton board under new ownership, which I mentioned in my post as a key reason why we need a strong membership.

That is the goal of the entire Trust movement, btw.

• Options
    Sorry, I didn't read your post.