Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Car hire at Malaga airport

Holidaying in southern Spain at start of the school holidays for 10 days.
Fly in and out of Malaga and need to hire a car.
Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Looking at focus sized car.
Prefer to pay one cost and no extras when we turn up.
Have heard some Malaga car hire companies can have some terrible queues so want to avoid these companies.
Willing to pay extra to get quick, good honest service.
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    Used Goldcar last year - no complaints about the service and very cheap, think I got a VW Golf for 4 days for 30 quid. Prices vary a lot depending on how far in advance you're booking and whether it's school holidays or not.

If you look on the internet, you'll probably find plenty of iffy reviews for Goldcar. It's the same for all of the rental companies. If I was you I'd go for the cheapest deal and cross your fingers re the service.
  • Options
    www.holidayautos.co.uk is a website I've always used...
  • Options
    I always use www.doyouspain.com
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

Used Goldcar last year - no complaints about the service and very cheap, think I got a VW Golf for 4 days for 30 quid. Prices vary a lot depending on how far in advance you're booking and whether it's school holidays or not.

If you look on the internet, you'll probably find plenty of iffy reviews for Goldcar. It's the same for all of the rental companies. If I was you I'd go for the cheapest deal and cross your fingers re the service.

I would second Goldcar - used them a couple of times at Malaga and no problems at all.
  • Options
    I third goldcar, they were excellent. I wish they had them in sardinia, finding a deal for out there had been an absolute arse!!
  • Options
    The last comparison web site I used was https://carjet.com/

IMO, the best car hire firm, who are extremely competitive, are AutoReisen but I've a feeling they may only be in the Canary Islands not Spain mainland.

As long as you politely decline the excess insurance/personal insurance at the car rental desk, there should be no extra charges with Carjet. My car was actually provided by Centauro who are fine. The only (slightly cheeky) add on is a "fuelling charge" and a pre-payment for the full tank of gas which you get back on a pro rata basis depending upon how much fuel is in the tank when you take the car back. I've also used Goldcar a couple of times with no issues.
    Whoever, unless you've gone for the full fat insurance option, they'll place a hold for the excess (maybe 500-1000 euros depending upon vehicle category?) on your credit card. Make sure you've got a sufficient credit limit to take that temporary hit and still pay for your regular exps. I always decline the excess insurance and tell them if I damage the car I'll put it over a cliff to make sure I get my monies worth. They look a little worried sometimes!

Here's a tip: if you're prepared to take a punt. It's worked for me so far in Spain. Go for an automatic in a lower category than you actually want. Chances are they won't have one and you'll get a freebie upgrade to a larger car! Last time with Centauro, for a 4-day trip in March I specified an automatic ford fiesta and got an automatic seat leon.
  • Options
    Should take out your own Excess Insurance policy independently - https://www.carhireexcess.co.uk/

A week's cover costs usually a little less than what the hire company will charge you for a day.
  • Options
    Just looked at goldcar which quotes 260 euros for a golf (10 days). Then they quote an extra 220 euros for super relax cover. Is this type of cover recommended?
  • Options
    edited May 2017

Just looked at goldcar which quotes 260 euros for a golf (10 days). Then they quote an extra 220 euros for super relax cover. Is this type of cover recommended?

Look at what they are covering. Multiply the premium by 36.5 to get the equivalent of an annual policy and compare that with how much you pay to insure your car. You're paying an annualised equivalent of 8,030 euros to basically just protect your excess! You can get a much better deal from an alternative supplier. Shop around on line. You'd still lose the excess up front and have to claim it back on your return though.

Personally I never buy this extra insurance. But you need to ask yourself if you can afford to lose the excess even if only temporarily .

Oh and do a google search on Goldcar super relax cover......
  • Options

Waste of money. It's effectively there version of car hire excess protection. You can get that independently for about £20.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Goldcar super relax insurance covers everything but it's expensive. It means, in theory, if you give them back a steering wheel at the end of the hire it'll be ok, you're covered. If you take out your own insurance most companies will still demand a credit card deposit and will charge for any damage on this deposit. It's then up to you to claim this amount back from your own insurers. I've read that it's sometimes slow getting your deposit back.

At the end of the day the cheaper option is to get your own insurance, the less hassle option is to pay the car hire company high insurance fee.
  • Options
    Definitely purchase your own Car Excess Insurance... Tons of Companies offer it for pennies!!
  • Options
    as an example, I hired a car from Centauro at Alicante earlier this year for 13 days, total cost, including their full insurance was just over £400.

I blew a tyre in the first week when I hit a rock on a country road. The company gave me a different car rather than replace the damaged tyre. During the second week car was vandalised overnight with a dent in the tailgate and scratches on the roof. When I took the car back to the airport I expected to have to fill out loads of claim forms but the car hire rep looked at the hire agreement, with the full insurance, and said everything would be OK and
  • Options
    All booked up with goldcar minus the super relax cover. I'll look to get excess insurance elsewhere.
    Many thanks for all your help.
  • Options
    Sorry to piggy back onto this thread but has anybody ever hired a car under the age of 25? I go to Girona in 5 weeks and it's not clear how much I will actually be charged for being under 25. Don't want to get to the airport and have another load of fees lumped onto the price we pay online.
  • Options
    Would echo a few of the comments above. Have used Goldcar several times and never had a problem with them. Got a brand new Audi A4 off them last year for £86 for the week. Have also used Auto Reissen in Spain before, who are also very good.

As said above though, do not take the extra insurance to cover your excess. It is a complete rip-off. I use carhireexcess.com and pay £38 for a full year's cover (allows you unlimited rentals, up to 62 days on each hire) across Europe.

I always also go for a full to full fuel tank. Sometimes costs a little more at the start, but works out cheaper so long as you do remember to fill up before you drop it off. I was a little short one trip and there's an admin fee (about £25 I think) for them to go and fill it up!!

• Options
    Have used Goldcar several times over the last few years in Spain, from Alicante and Valencia with no problems.

Last time round, when we took both sets of parents out with us, the wife took the parents to pick up the cases and I sorted the car out. By the time they were coming out with the cases, I'd already sorted all the paperwork and we just had to walk to the car park. Was out of the airport within 10 mins of coming out of arrivals.

First couple of times I drove out there, we had a Diesel Seat Leon, a Focus equivalent. Lovely car to drive, so much so I'd consider buying one now.
  • Options
    Autos Lido. Desk is always empty and very competitive.
  • Options
    Www.youdospain.com
    Very cheap comparison service where you can spec your preferences and also see which companies are "on airport' - as many hire firms are outside the airport.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    MrLargo said:

Waste of money. It's effectively there version of car hire excess protection. You can get that independently for about £20.
    Exactly. Get the 20 quid protection. Without it Goldcar (in my experience ) will give you a hard time and hard sell which will waste time even if you insist on refusing extraso.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Sorry to piggy back onto this thread but has anybody ever hired a car under the age of 25? I go to Girona in 5 weeks and it's not clear how much I will actually be charged for being under 25. Don't want to get to the airport and have another load of fees lumped onto the price we pay online.

If you go on HolidayAutos and untick the "25-70 years old" box, the prices should be inclusive of any extra fees for being under 25.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

If you go on HolidayAutos and untick the "25-70 years old" box, the prices should be inclusive of any extra fees for being under 25.
    Cheers, I'll have a go at that. Still don't trust that they won't try to add things when arrive though.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

as an example, I hired a car from Centauro at Alicante earlier this year for 13 days, total cost, including their full insurance was just over £400.

I blew a tyre in the first week when I hit a rock on a country road. The company gave me a different car rather than replace the damaged tyre. During the second week car was vandalised overnight with a dent in the tailgate and scratches on the roof. When I took the car back to the airport I expected to have to fill out loads of claim forms but the car hire rep looked at the hire agreement, with the full insurance, and said everything would be OK and started to slowly unbutton my shirt whilst softly whispering his carnal desires in my ear.

Anyone else intrigued as to what happened next?
  • Options

I hired a car in Iceland last year when I was 21. Booked it online so the prepaid online price factored it in. Didn't have to pay anything more when we got there aside from a little for a Satnav which we'd forgotten.
  • Options
    I'd rather walk than use Goldcar again to hire a vehicle. Granted our experience of their service and policies was in Tenerife rather than mainland Spain, and maybe we caught them on a bad day, but all the time there are alternatives like AutoRiesen I woudn't choose Goldcar.

We had to wait over an hour at the carpark pick-up point to be taken in a minibus to their collection place which involved another 40 minute queue. Then we had the hard sell on all the insurance and other stuff. They discovered that they'd run out of the size vehicle we'd booked so ended up with something that looked more like a small van for the week as that was 'all they had left'...and that's before we got to their fuel policy where we had to pay for a full tank of fuel (at their inflated price per litre) and then try to claim a refund on any unused.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

I blew a tyre in the first week when I hit a rock on a country road. The company gave me a different car rather than replace the damaged tyre. During the second week car was vandalised overnight with a dent in the tailgate and scratches on the roof. When I took the car back to the airport I expected to have to fill out loads of claim forms but the car hire rep looked at the hire agreement, with the full insurance, and said everything would be OK and

we just left the car and checked in for our flights. (sorry for the disjointed post and the boring end :) )
  • Options

we just left the car and checked in for our flights. (sorry for the disjointed post and the boring end :) )
    Cheers! ;-)
  • Options

I third goldcar, they were excellent. I wish they had them in sardinia, finding a deal for out there had been an absolute arse!!

I am off to Sardinia in 4 weeks and was looking to hire a car. What problems did you have?
  • Options
    Haven't read the rest so apologies if repeating.

Doyouspain is very good and flexible for how you hire. Goldcar is usually the cheapest on comparison sites and they are fine but be warned that everybody books with them and often you get very long queues at peak times, we once waited two hours in the queue and were by no means at the end. Almost every other car hire place was empty.

If you can take out your own insurance it will save you money.