Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Fancy a job at Charlton?

13»

Comments

• Options

My son who would easily qualify for the above asked last season about filming from the east stand (with his own equipment) and editing and producing a quality summary of the match...He did it for 18 months for maidenhead utd on a part time basis.

All he wanted was about £50 a match to cover his costs and travel. Travel was abou £20 so was doing it for nothing anyway.

The club said they had someone who was doing it for....nothing. As he was jacking it in he could take over err for nothing.

My son had an inside line as the guy doing it was his mate from uni.

Can I ask who you spoke to? Just spoke to everyone in the department and we have no recollection of this
    I didn't speak to them he did, and he said they were quite curt with their response.
  • Options

My son who would easily qualify for the above asked last season about filming from the east stand (with his own equipment) and editing and producing a quality summary of the match...He did it for 18 months for maidenhead utd on a part time basis.

All he wanted was about £50 a match to cover his costs and travel. Travel was abou £20 so was doing it for nothing anyway.

The club said they had someone who was doing it for....nothing. As he was jacking it in he could take over err for nothing.

My son had an inside line as the guy doing it was his mate from uni.

Can I ask who you spoke to? Just spoke to everyone in the department and we have no recollection of this
    He is overseas at the minute working, but i have text him.
  • Options

JamesSeed said:

ColinTat said:

JamesSeed said:

Swisdom said:

No wonder so many people vote tory if you accept that it's okay to pay shit wages and act like you are doing someone a favour by letting them graft for you.

Or everyone could pay silly money and lead us into another recession for spending money that doesn't exist

Seriously?

Or are you talking about the players now?
    You have to stop laughing at that. Isn't the whole football industry doing that? Clubs in the prem are finally able to run now without accruing huge debts, but they still do. If Sky were to keel over, every single one of them would be fucked. And no whoever picked up the tv contract would get it at a distressed amount. I do love how people want austerity but not in football!

Whilst the job is worth it for the experience, you'd find it much more working for companies/projects where people have talent.
    BT or someone else would replace them.
    But long term the bigger clubs want to control their own worldwide rights and ditch any joint tv deals. A global pay per view deal is probably their aim.
    This, particular, statement is frightening.

In the event that Sky did, for what ever reason, stop bidding on the football BT would just buy Sky's rights for a song, and vice-versa.

What is likely to change the current set up is the evolution that will happen in light of the fact that Kodi, or whatever replaces it, is geared up to the exact demographic that watches football on Sky/BT. I can't see the subscriber numbers staying the same. For £1 a week one can access all of the Sky Sports channels, the BT Sport channels, and watch every Premier League game at 3pm on a Saturday afternoon. They also include all the pay per view boxing as well. Once the Football League start to offer all their matches on live streams Sky will struggle to keep charging £20 a month for the football and I'm led to believe that for Sports in HD it's a minimum of £71 a month without discounts. They are even going away from the dish to streaming all their channels themselves so you will, almost certainly, need a fast broadband to have Sky, so no saving there either. If one looks at the Kodi thread it would demonstrate that there are people in the 70s streaming media - just who is going to be left paying Sky £70+ a month in five or ten years?

In reality the billion pound deals are going to stop, and probably sooner rather than later. Once that happens the Premier League clubs with £75m wage bills are, genuinely, going to be f**ked! The complacency that 'Someone else will come along' is frightening.

You are right about the massive clubs wanting their own worldwide rights. However, if they were granted this there would be about half a dozen clubs with c. £200m a year to play with and the rest would be banking less than £10m. What are the chances of a majority of Premier League clubs voting for that? Even if it was passed half of the Premier League clubs would become insolvent overnight. They would need hundreds of millions of pounds to avoid administration. Even Abramovich doesn't want to see that happen to the Premier League.
    I think other bidders would appear quite rapidly?

The football TV money has created a bit of a monster, and probably an unsustainable one too.

• Options
    edited May 2017

Just over the 4 hour mark to see the word Tory.

Expected it sooner if I'm honest.

The CL Red Wedge has a glut of threads to exercise their intellect over... i would of thought the word "job" in the thread title would of kept them away?
  • Options

21,000 is exactly 10 per hour. Ouch.

Notice no retirerement plan is included.

Surely a well run, responsible, honest and trustworthy employer like CAFC Ltd would obey the rules and provide the obligatory workplace pension, wouldn't it?
  • Options
    Apologies if this has already been asked/covered, but is this industry standard practice, a wage that low for such responsibilities?!
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

Apologies if this has already been asked/covered, but is this industry standard practice, a wage that low for such responsibilities?!

Yes, if you don't expect to keep a person very long.

To be honest we tend to recruit 'trainees' or 'juniors' to the ITN camera department. We end up finding quite experienced people happy to start on a fairly low wage - but that wage will go up quite rapidly as they progress/prove themselves.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

No. A very junior role yes, but as I said before, a freelance camera operator would usually command £350 a day...
  • Options

PaddyP17 said:

No. A very junior role yes, but as I said before, a freelance camera operator would usually command £350 a day...
    Interestingly though if that is a day rate for a freelancer would it not be cheaper to employ one for the day on matchdays. That would work out at just £16,100 to cover all the league games and presumably no need to pay holiday pay, sick pay, National Insurance or a pension?
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    The successful applicant will in all likelihood be one of Robinson's coaching squad by the middle of the season. Everyone else seems to end up there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

PaddyP17 said:

Not where I work he wouldn't.
  • Options
    I used to pay £275 a day for a cameraman/ editor for online content.

It's funny, I could do this job, I need the work, I support the club... but still wouldn't bother applying. They'll get what they pay for ultimately.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

PaddyP17 said:

Where do you work? A self shooting director I was mostly talking about.. with their own equipment I've seen higher rates..
  • Options

PaddyP17 said:

Interestingly though if that is a day rate for a freelancer would it not be cheaper to employ one for the day on matchdays. That would work out at just £16,100 to cover all the league games and presumably no need to pay holiday pay, sick pay, National Insurance or a pension?
    But you wouldn't be able to treat them practically like a slave like you would if you employed them. A self employed person would just say "no thanks" and move on.
  • Options

PaddyP17 said:

But you wouldn't be able to treat them practically like a slave like you would if you employed them. A self employed person would just say "no thanks" and move on.
    True but if you only need them for match days it could ensure more experience for no more money.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    We lost 14 mil last season. If even one million of that loss was clawed back and given to our 110 non-playing staff (according to our last annual report) equally, we could raise each of their pay £9000+ per year, or more than £4 per hour, year round.

I contend the goodwill from improving staff pay would cascade down the club and actually result in better play and a better fan experience with the club's employees, who would all have more secure lives and be happier. Which leads to happier fans, higher turnover in time, a better stadium experience and more wins.
  • Options

We lost 14 mil last season. If even one million of that loss was clawed back and given to our 110 non-playing staff (according to our last annual report) equally, we could raise each of their pay £9000+ each per year, or more than £4 per hour, year round.

I contend the goodwill from improving staff pay would cascade down the club and actually result in better play and a better fan experience with the club's employees, who would all have more secure lives and be happier.

Was at AFC Telford last night, and the bloke there said that they're run by a total of 4 full-time staff, excluding players.

I know they're a few (3) leagues below us, but that's a staggering difference.

Equally middle-to-top end Premiership players probably have 4+ full time employees each as well.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Saw data a year ago about that... if I remember right the average number of employees including Academy and first team plus staff looks like this per league...

PL: 350 (ManC had 750)
    CL: 150
    L1: 100
    L2: 70
    Below: 30

We are 146
  • Options

JamesSeed said:

PaddyP17 said:

Where do you work? A self shooting director I was mostly talking about.. with their own equipment I've seen higher rates..
    Oh, with their own equipment, yes. Can be five or six hundred a day with gear.
    I work for ITN (ITV News). Have done for many years.

If anyone is ever looking for extremely good freelance cameramen, with or without gear, do contact me. I work with some of the best.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

Saw data a year ago about that... if I remember right the average number of employees including Academy and first team plus staff looks like this per league...

PL: 350 (ManC had 750)
    CL: 150
    L1: 100
    L2: 70
    Below: 30

We are 146

Of which 100 are football staff, including players. The outsourcing of retail and catering has reduced the non-football number, but 46 is hardly generous given it has to cover finance, HR, ticketing, commercial, communications, ground staff, stadium maintenance and safety supervision.

The size of the football staff is partly determined by academy rules, which dictate you have to fill certain positions to be accredited.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2017

We lost 14 mil last season. If even one million of that loss was clawed back and given to our 110 non-playing staff (according to our last annual report) equally, we could raise each of their pay £9000+ per year, or more than £4 per hour, year round.

I contend the goodwill from improving staff pay would cascade down the club and actually result in better play and a better fan experience with the club's employees, who would all have more secure lives and be happier. Which leads to happier fans, higher turnover in time, a better stadium experience and more wins.

Steady - you'll upset those not in "the red wedge"...
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

PaddyP17 said:

Oh, with their own equipment, yes. Can be five or six hundred a day with gear.
    I work for ITN (ITV News). Have done for many years.

If anyone is ever looking for extremely good freelance cameramen, with or without gear, do contact me. I work with some of the best.
    Back when I worked in production I was a runner on a few ITN corporate shoots.

Moved to post production so most of my figures are based around that.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    I might be interested. I'm assuming the salary quoted is weekly ;-)
  • Options

PaddyP17 said:

True but if you only need them for match days it could ensure more experience for no more money.
    But what about editing down highlights, adding graphics etc? Im aware the club just uses straight out the packet graphics from whoever created the player service.. but these things take time to turnover. There's also prep work that needs to be done..

Plus I don't think a semi decent freelancer would even consider the job because of the hours.