Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tonight's kick-off.

edited October 2006 in General Charlton
18.00. Why??????????

Comments

• Options
    Great Result vs France at Weekend, but music after Goal was Embarrassing. Did not think tartan army needed that to get them going.
  • Options
    Because Croatia's two hours ahead of us, isn't it?
  • Options
    Normally they shift it back for a UK audience... or should that be advertising revenue?!
  • Options
    You are correct Inspector Sands
  • Options
    would have thought they'd compromise and have a 9pm local time, 7pm uk time kick off.
  • Options
    Whats it matter, if you aint got sky your naffed anyway! Pretty much if ya aint got sky its cos ya cant afford it, so goin to pub is out of the question cos your so poor.
  • Options
    hahaha...

My issue is although I have Sky at home It's too far away to get home from work by kick off, so i'm going to watch it in the pub. As yet i havn't seen anything on sky that makes me think it's worth the money.
  • Options
    i'm just going to leave work at normal time and get home for the 2nd half, and then cook and enjoy dinner whilst watching the ireland game, that i think kicks off at 7.30.

can't say i'm that inspired by england to blag off early and can't afford to stay up town to watch it, diet cokes cost almost the same as a pint these days!

not like benty will get a run out in the first 45 anyway
  • Options
    Parker starts tonight...

Robinson, G Neville, A Cole, Carragher, Ferdinand, Terry
    (captain); Carrick, Lampard, Parker; Rooney, Crouch. Substitutes: P Neville,
    Kirkland, Richardson, Jenas, Wright-Phillips, Defoe, Bent.
  • Options
    terrible game got what we deserved- nothing. Again why no Bent?
    Parker pretty anonimous but then again so where the rest.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    don't sound like i missed much. Any feedback from those that watched ?

heard it was a comedy second goal.
  • Options
    I left after we went 2-0 down and Mclaren decided it was time to protect our 2-0 scoreline with a switch to a 442. I mean why chase the game and throw on an extra striker?

Crouch and Rooney showed that they can't play together and Englands pressure ball diagnal down the channel for quick striker to chase was not an option... as the quickest striker was yet again on the bench. The ball was just chipped up to crouch who lost it and the ball cames straight back, wingbacks frequently caught out of position and centrebacks pulled all over the shop. Croatias runners in midfield were never picked up. it was woeful stuff...

No one had a clue who they should be picking up, at one point we had 7 players in our own six yard box in open play. And i laughed on the 2nd goal.
  • Options
    i saw from the highlights that six players were marking 2 for the first goal, and the fella still got a free header. Robinson's positioning was also.

I did laugh at the second, particularly the strenuous attempts by Roboo to 'show the world' it was a divot !

As for Crouch, chipping balls up to him is easy meat for a strong side like Croatia.
  • Options
    It's all very strange to me.

I was intrigued by AFKA's comments that up until a year ago he was more passionate about England and England games than Charlton. Horses for courses I think. I've always been ambivolous to the national team, in part to no Charlton player being part off it. Buy always wanted them to do well. However England has never won anything in my lifetime, apart from Le Tournoir, and very rarely play well, or has a complete game. Germany 1 England 5 springs to mind but that in hindsight did more for the Germans than England. Count on the fingers of one hand the games England have pulled it out of the fire and you’ve been impressed.

As for Parker … I don’t get that either. Watching him play is like watching one of your own. Even though he went to Chelsea and then Newcastle but you get me. But come on he isn’t international class. He’s a fairly combative, good player in the Premier league. But can’t pass, can’t dictate a game and dribbles in a straight line. We all now this but sometimes can’t see the wood for the trees.

The game yesterday was a typical England performance. Early in the season, the players are off form, they had a hard summer, Lampard isn’t playing well, Rooney the same, Cole has been injured for a long time (the way he turned his back on the Brazilian/ Croatian was laughable), Carrick injured, Crouch … ouch.

We all want them to do well, but they don’t. We then have a witch hunt in the papers until the next game when we will demand a 5-0 triumph. If we do reach the European Championship, by coming second in the group the papers will demand we go on to win it. We’ll get to the Quarter Finals and then lose to the Ukraine or France.
  • Options
    Didn't watch the game (thankfully) but can tell you what the problems are without needing to see it.

Firstly, you can't play Crouch and Rooney together. If you're going to play a big man, you need some one quick to run off him, and if you're going to play someone who drops deep then you need someone to make runs ahead of them. So you have to play Bent/Johnson/Defoe (though I wouldn't play Defoe) with your choice of Rooney OR Crouch.

Lampard is a waste of space, simply cannot transfer his club form to the international stage.

If you're going to play 3-5-2 then you're wing backs have to a)be very fit and b)work hard in BOTH directions. Neville fails on point A and from what I heard on the radio, Cole failed on point B.

Someone needs to tell Ferdinand that all this "You're a centre back who can play" is bollocks and to worry about just defending rather than fart-arsing about with the ball on the edge of your own box.

All the above is obvious stuff but I don't expect any of it to change. McClaren like most of the England managers of the last decade simply picks players on which club they play for. A blind man could see Richardson isn't good enough, that P Neville was never good enough, that Lampard needs either a kick up the arse or to be dropped, that Rooney isn't fit, that Crouch isn't good enough against any international team in the top 100.
  • Options
    agree with both ric and andy.

perhaps a few of us are a bit blinded regarding Parker. I suspect Andy Johnson will prove the same; an excellent club player, but without the extra nous needed to step up to international class.
  • Options
    That fact Johnson didn't take the championship by storm last year speaks volumns (I know he missed big chuncks of the season through injury, but still had a poor goals to games ratio). Also, it's worth looking at U21 stats. Parker could never consistently beat Carrick or Davies into the U21 side. Couldn't find any stats for Johnson at U21 level at all, whereas Bent has a record of scoring 9 goals in 6 U21 starts (plus 8 sub appearances). If we were to assum that he got on with 22.5 mins left as a sub then that is 9 goals in 8 games.