Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Letter in The Times

Makes me feel better as a parent ... I feel I have made my daughters aware of the realities of life through football ... from this morning's Times

Comments

• Options
    Brilliant.
  • Options
    That is quality....
  • Options
    Brilliant!
  • Options
    I used to know a John Williams in SE9, he was a spanner.
  • Options
    Is that se9addick
  • Options

Told this story before. In our Championship promotion season (the one unbeaten at home bar Swindon...). Swindon had parked the bus and fluked a 0-1 win at the Valley. On the 180 bus back home, my young daughter Emma gloomily looked out at a grotty Woolwich Road, turned to me and said "Dad we were very unlucky but you don't always get what you deserve do you?".

That is part of what football brings to the table. No amount of classroom teaching gives you that. Football is life and it is a leveller and it can be cruel just the same.

Excuses if the opponents and bus number is off but she is 29 this year. It was a long time ago!

The opponents are correct.
  • Options

Told this story before. In our Championship promotion season (the one unbeaten at home bar Swindon...). Swindon had parked the bus and fluked a 0-1 win at the Valley. On the 180 bus back home, my young daughter Emma gloomily looked out at a grotty Woolwich Road, turned to me and said "Dad we were very unlucky but you don't always get what you deserve do you?".

That is part of what football brings to the table. No amount of classroom teaching gives you that. Football is life and it is a leveller and it can be cruel just the same.

Excuses if the opponents and bus number is off but she is 29 this year. It was a long time ago!

Deano Palmed in across - og. Remember it well (I'm 31)
  • Options
    I once saw him do Rodrigo's Guitar Concerto at the Barbican.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    mrbligh said:

I can see it now as almost in line with the feeble cross ... seem to recall it was early on and I said, confidently, to my wife that we had plenty of time to come back against a side with nothing to offer. Had as little clue then as I still do now.
  • Options
    ending 11 wins on the trott?
  • Options
    Was that the game that Willie Carson got over excited on the pitch beforehand?
  • Options
    mrbligh said:

We lost to a team that didn't even have a shot - that's true Charlton. (We did lose other home games that year, Huddersfield for example, when we were trying our hardest not to be champions, then Ipswich on the final day).
  • Options
    mogodon said:

mrbligh said:

I can see it now as almost in line with the feeble cross ... seem to recall it was early on and I said, confidently, to my wife that we had plenty of time to come back against a side with nothing to offer. Had as little clue then as I still do now.
    We were so dominant and in such good form going into that game (wasn't it the 12 match winning streak?) and Swindon were utter toilet and languishing at the bottom of the league, so nobody gave them a chance. I remember pointing out before the game that the odds at the bookies in the ground on a 6-0 home win were the same as the odds of a 0-1 defeat.
  • Options
    aliwibble said:

Was that the game that Willie Carson got over excited on the pitch beforehand?

Yes.