Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Returning to Golf.

1235»

Comments

• Options
    That wasn't the Trilby tour that sky show by any chance, top work.
  • Options
    No, not so grand. It was the National Seniors Club Classic run by the Seniors Golf Association www.seniorsgolfassociation.co.uk click on the Club Classic link. I'm the one holding the trophy.

I managed to win my singles match in the semi final 1 up after being 2 down with 4 to play and had a comfortable 3&2 win in the final.
  • Options
    The west Essex pic I take it, well done and the weather looked good as well.
  • Options

The west Essex pic I take it, well done and the weather looked good as well.

Thanks Jon. Very windy last week but kept in play most of the time.

• Options
    Swing with ease and all that jazz.
  • Options
    Just flying back from Dubai where I played Dubai Creek and Majlis Emirates courses, both off the Blue Champtionship tees (the pros play the Blacks). Both courses were 6,900 yards and the Slope was 135 (so two harder than PAR). I shot an 80 gross at Dubai Creek and 79 at Majlis. 35 and 37 points respectively stableford, net 72 and net 71 - so really 1 better and 3 better than my handicap.

Weather was fabulous, the courses were amazing and the service levels fabulous.

Even better was I won the holiday by winning Variety Club Race To Dubai 8 event challenge last year. Raised over £10k for Charity including my Marathon run for them.

I'm down to 8.2 currently and if I work hard at my game at the range during the Winter I'm giving it one big push next year to try and get to Category One (5 or lower) and then I'm easing off.

• Options
    They're great scores, Supaclive, for courses of that difficulty, brilliant!
  • Options
    heading up to chelsfield lakes on the weekend any good? im pretty new to golf so any advice welcomed playing with both of my cousins who are pretty decent.
  • Options

heading up to chelsfield lakes on the weekend any good? im pretty new to golf so any advice welcomed playing with both of my cousins who are pretty decent.

Nice feel good course for someone new to the game. Some nice holes there. Im no expert but what i would say is that beginners always try to smash the ball out of sight. Just keep it nice and easy and dont try to keep up with your cousins,just concentrate on your own shots. Good luck.
  • Options

Nice feel good course for someone new to the game. Some nice holes there. Im no expert but what i would say is that beginners always try to smash the ball out of sight. Just keep it nice and easy and dont try to keep up with your cousins,just concentrate on your own shots. Good luck.
    nice one cheers
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So.... I just moved next to a decent golf course and am thinking about taking up golf (again)

When I was a kid, I grew up on Hayling Island, which has a decent links course and an associated 9-hole pitch and put. I loved it and went on the 9-hole 3 or 4 times a week after my paper round during my most enthusiastic times. Had a little book that I stuck my score cards in and recorded data etc. This would all have been like 13-15/6 years old. Never played the full course.

In my late twenties, I played maybe once a month for 3 years at a funky 9-hole in Taiwan. Also went to some driving ranges (and baseball batting cages) in that period.

Now I’m 40, back in the UK and finding myself right next to a course, feel like I really should give it a go. I played a municipal 18 hope last year and thoroughly enjoyed, despite going round in maybe 115.

- Any advice?
    - Should I play some municipal courses, before forking out for a pricey membership? (900 notes, no concessions/variation seems to be old man rates for the retired)
    - What should I look for in 2nd hand clubs?
    - Start with lessons to stop bad habits re/forming?
    - don’t bother and take up something else?

Cheers lifers

Siv
  • Options

As redvalleyeast says chelsfield is a 'feel good" course.
    I'd say most golfers with a handicap of less than 18 could leave half their clubs in the car without it having too much of an effect.
    Didn't play it too often as it's not challenging enough for my liking and once walked off after it'd taken 3 hrs 45 minutes to play 10 holes.
  • Options
    edited December 2017

So.... I just moved next to a decent golf course and am thinking about taking up golf (again)

When I was a kid, I grew up on Hayling Island, which has a decent links course and an associated 9-hole pitch and put. I loved it and went on the 9-hole 3 or 4 times a week after my paper round during my most enthusiastic times. Had a little book that I stuck my score cards in and recorded data etc. This would all have been like 13-15/6 years old. Never played the full course.

In my late twenties, I played maybe once a month for 3 years at a funky 9-hole in Taiwan. Also went to some driving ranges (and baseball batting cages) in that period.

Now I’m 40, back in the UK and finding myself right next to a course, feel like I really should give it a go. I played a municipal 18 hope last year and thoroughly enjoyed, despite going round in maybe 115.

- Any advice?
    - Should I play some municipal courses, before forking out for a pricey membership? (900 notes, no concessions/variation seems to be old man rates for the retired)
    - What should I look for in 2nd hand clubs?
    - Start with lessons to stop bad habits re/forming?
    - don’t bother and take up something else?

Cheers lifers

Siv

Where do you live & what other courses are near to you ? I've only played a couple in & around Norwich but I would join a cheap municipal to keep you eye in & then play others around the country so that you get to play a variety of courses (parkland, heathland, American style, links)
  • Options
    Am right by Eaton golf course.

I can see that it makes sense to join a cheaper but more distant one, but I can see myself playing a lot more if it’s a 5 min walk to the first tee.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    just had a quick look online at Eaton Golf course - looks quite nice & would be a course that I'd be happy to play regularly. I've played over a hundred courses around the country, but not many in Norfolk (the only ones I can remember are Costessey Park & Bungay) and like the challenge of rocking up & not knowing what I'm about to face.

As you say, if its only just round the corner then it makes sense to become a member & then you could enter competitions & get a proper handicap. Also, if you do get the bug, you can pop in after work in the summer & do a quick 9 or even 18 holes when there are not many people around & you're not waiting on every tee for the group ahead to get out of the way.
  • Options

anyone manage to play the Brabazon course there ?? I've played there twice, one on a corporate gig, but still didn't get to play on the iconic course - really wanted to play the signature hole, the short par 4, 10th.

Re playing off the Championship tees. Played at Collingtree Park in Northampton & played the 18 off the white tees - 600 yards par 5, with OOB down the right & water down the left, onto an island green. I made a 15.

RE handicap certificates. a lot of courses say you need them but the vast majority never ask for them. Only place where I HAD to show it was at Royal St Georges & you couldn't play unless it was 18 or under. I was playing to 19 at Barnehurst at the time (19.2 to be precise) so entered the monthly medal for the next 6 months and got my handicap down to 18.4 - next month I played RSG & proudly showed my new handicap cert showing 18. Never got it lower than that.

stayed there for my 40th and played the Brabazon, cracking venue and course was superb

didn't have to show any handicap cards etc