Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Returning to Golf.

Comments

• Options

Easiest way (although not strictly correct I think) is to tie your hcap to the stroke index for each hole to see how many shots you get at each hole.

For example with hcap of say 20 - you get 1 shot at each hole except for SI 1 and 2 holes where you get 2.

Scoring is as follows.

Net par = 2 points
    Net Birdire = 3 points
    Net eagle = 4 points
    Net bogie = 1 point
    Worse than net bogie = 0 points

Play the round and add up points......

Please pick up and stop playing at any hole where you can no longer score points as if you don't....your playing partner(s) will get proper pissed off (or maybe that's just me)

Enjoy!

I read this, but what if you dont technically have a handicap like Dazzler and myself. I imagine 2 over each hole will be about right for me and would come in the highest handicap at present
    That would seem a sensible approach.

If you consistently find yourself scoring over 36 points then you need to play off a lower handicap......or otherwise be happy to be labelled a dirty, cheating bandit like @ChiAddick :wink:
  • Options

ChiAddick said:

Got 44 points playing off 24 at chelsfield yesterday. Normally get 30-36 points at other courses off 24. It is an easy high scoring course. Try Chelsfield @johnnybev1987 .

Haha its always the way in golf. When you have a good round you're a bandit. When you play below your handicap you're just crap. Very rarely score 36 every time.
  • Options
    It seems alot of people are playing the points systems, although i still see it the same in theory just trying to spin more of a positive on your round and more so that one hole isn't going to be as huge a deal as it would in a normal score. Personally i just play to improve myself and quite aiming average stroke per hole etc as thats how i measure it, if i can get to around my normal game or lower its a bonus.

I have just looked up and i see there are many factors too eg. slope/golf course rating (which i cant seem to find for poult wood to even use as example) I imagine i am probably not good enough to even claim a handicap at present as based on 2 rounds this year where i have been approx +40, not taking into account the course rating, thats just over the 38 max so would guess that, if i can get nearer to 2+ per hole then i assume it would be worthwhile seeing what my handicap is.

Sorry if just rambling on here, just interested
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    ChiAddick said:

ChiAddick said:

Got 44 points playing off 24 at chelsfield yesterday. Normally get 30-36 points at other courses off 24. It is an easy high scoring course. Try Chelsfield @johnnybev1987 .

Haha its always the way in golf. When you have a good round you're a bandit. When you play below your handicap you're just crap. Very rarely score 36 every time.
    Agreed mate......but 44?!? :smiley:

Played at Kings Hill a couple of years ago and walked into the bar where another group was having the presentation for their golf day.

The phrase "....and in third place, with a score of 48 points....." still makes me wince.

• Options

It seems alot of people are playing the points systems, although i still see it the same in theory just trying to spin more of a positive on your round and more so that one hole isn't going to be as huge a deal as it would in a normal score. Personally i just play to improve myself and quite aiming average stroke per hole etc as thats how i measure it, if i can get to around my normal game or lower its a bonus.

I have just looked up and i see there are many factors too eg. slope/golf course rating (which i cant seem to find for poult wood to even use as example) I imagine i am probably not good enough to even claim a handicap at present as based on 2 rounds this year where i have been approx +40, not taking into account the course rating, thats just over the 38 max so would guess that, if i can get nearer to 2+ per hole then i assume it would be worthwhile seeing what my handicap is.

Sorry if just rambling on here, just interested

A handicap is just a way to facilitate players of differing ability being able to more fairly compete against each other.

If you are not trying to compete with others then I wouldn't worry about it mate. Just carry on and use your scores as a guide to your improvement as you suggest.
  • Options
    Just play off 28 (36 for ladies) and take it from there. Scoring anything around 36 & over on a fairly regular basis means it's time to bring the handicap down.
  • Options
    If you shoot over 40 then you should knock your handicap down at least a couple of points. you can call it a fluke round but you are just kidding yourself
  • Options

If you shoot over 40 then you should knock your handicap down at least a couple of points. you can call it a fluke round but you are just kidding yourself

If it was any other course than Chelsfield I'd agree.
  • Options

ChiAddick said:

Cut 4. ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2017
    ChiAddick said:

If it was any other course than Chelsfield I'd agree.
    I played off 19 for around 15 years & played Chelsfield about a dozen times & never scored anything above 36 - 32/34 probably the max. I've played over 100 courses in the UK & don't think I've ever scored more than my handicap. As I said before my handicap was based on being a member at Barnehurst & playing regularly in the monthly comps. On a normal par 72 course playing 6000 yards I'm probably a 22-24 handicap.

• Options
    I'm not sure how scientific it is....but the Pro (golfer) who gave me lessons a while back said that if you are playing fairly regularly you should only play to your handicap once in every 3 rounds or so
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Our star golfer at the moment shot a gross 59 (par 69) the other week playing off a handicap of +2. For those of you still confused by the handicap system that means he's so good that he adds two in to his score when he finishes his round. Phenomenal golf. And he's been on a real run this summer. He shot ten birdies and an eagle. In stableford format it would have been worth 46 points. So that Im afraid puts into perspective folk who score 48! It just shouldn't be possible.
  • Options
    +2 is a serious handicap, think Woods was +5 when he went pro, any chances ofa ffuture in the game, depending on age maybe.
  • Options

+2 is a serious handicap, think Woods was +5 when he went pro, any chances ofa ffuture in the game, depending on age maybe.

No. He's in his early 40s with a real job and young family which makes his form all the more remarkable. We've had a few superstars in the last few years. One young chap turned pro two years ago having reached plus 4. He's struggled with it a bit though and is in the Euro Pro tour (the third division of the pro game). Another turned pro at the same time off plus 2 and is now working at Cray Valley.
  • Options
    Euro pro tour is a very good level, hopefully he is well backed as competing can get very expensive, any name you want give to look out for?
  • Options

Euro pro tour is a very good level, hopefully he is well backed as competing can get very expensive, any name you want give to look out for?

The Pro is Michael Saunders. Here is a link to the Golf Mobthly article on the 59.

http://amp.timeinc.net/golfmonthlyuk/news/notice-board/amateur-golfer-shoots-59-in-club-competition-141099?source=dam
  • Options

The Pro is Michael Saunders. Here is a link to the Golf Mobthly article on the 59.

http://amp.timeinc.net/golfmonthlyuk/news/notice-board/amateur-golfer-shoots-59-in-club-competition-141099?source=dam
    I know Michael, played with him a few times and yeah he's a great player. His home course is Dartford and he's had a hole in one on the par 4 there. his swing is like Matsuyama where he holds it at the top before smashing the ball a long way
  • Options

Our star golfer at the moment shot a gross 59 (par 69) the other week playing off a handicap of +2. For those of you still confused by the handicap system that means he's so good that he adds two in to his score when he finishes his round. Phenomenal golf. And he's been on a real run this summer. He shot ten birdies and an eagle. In stableford format it would have been worth 46 points. So that Im afraid puts into perspective folk who score 48! It just shouldn't be possible.

Darren Crab at Dartford??
  • Options
    Cheers, I'll look out for his scores, I was pretty low twenty years ago although not that good and retain a keen interest to this day.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

He shot ten birdies and an eagle.

I hope he ate the meat.
  • Options

Cheers, I'll look out for his scores, I was pretty low twenty years ago although not that good and retain a keen interest to this day.

Cheers Jon. I'm still clinging on to single figures having been lower in my youth but ten years off when the kids were small plus the fact that I'm now in my fifties with lots of aches and pains and a full time job means that it's not an easy task. But I'm still on the side of the angels and trying to keep my handicap as low as I can. Pride rather than prizes I think! Give me a shout if you ever fancy a knock round Dartford.
  • Options

Darren Crab at Dartford??
    Yep
  • Options
    That's a nice offer SB, I'm starting again after illness, so not able play anything like 18 yet, at 48 the target is a round on my 50th birthday , I think I might sit in your block at the valley if you return to your old seat, I'm one of the quiet ones up in block L, usually sipping the odd brandy and scoffing a wearthers.
  • Options

That's a nice offer SB, I'm starting again after illness, so not able play anything like 18 yet, at 48 the target is a round on my 50th birthday , I think I might sit in your block at the valley if you return to your old seat, I'm one of the quiet ones up in block L, usually sipping the odd brandy and scoffing a wearthers.

I'm front row block K. I'm the shouty Scottish bloke.
  • Options
    I'll chuck a sweet down, I married to a scot so I'm well used to being shouted at.
  • Options
    Cheers Jon. I'll look out for you.
  • Options
    Off to The Belfry tomorrow morning - 18 in the afternoon, bed, breakfast and 18 Sunday. Only playing The Derby but it's a society with 12 reprobates who see the golf as secondary (including me) as something to do to sober up!

Booked a VIP table in the nightclub which should be fun - it's Danny's birthday Sunday and Robert's next Thursday so a bit of a celebration. Yes, my Danny is playing :)
  • Options
    Spent last weekend (Thursday - Sunday) out in the Algarve. Played 3 different courses. Quinta Do Lago (North and South) plus Laranjal.

All excellent but tough (especially the back 9 at Laranjal)

Especially in 28c sunshine, and all the alcohol consumed.
  • Options
    Captained a Seniors team from our club last week in the finals of a national competition. We only went and won it! Based on handicaps, not scratch, but nonetheless we were all naturally delighted.