Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bands that effectively died when a band member passed away......

Comments

• Options
    The Plastic Ono Band
  • Options
    Slayer
    Lush
  • Options
    Grateful Dead when Jerry Garcia passed.
  • Options
    Ronnie Lane's Slim Chance (such a great loss Ronnie Lane - his solo stuff after the Faces was brilliant). And Captain Beefheart of course!
  • Options
    Stevie wonder
  • Options

The Who - never the same after Mad Moon passed away</

Oh come on.....are you serious?
    They can still, to this day, fill any main stadium in the world as the headline band.....so how have they faded away?
    With all respect to Moonie, they are probably bigger today than when he tragically kicked the bucket.

• Options
    stonemuse said:

Ian Dury - Blockheads

Yup, they only managed 51 gigs last year and released one of their best ever albums the year before with a new one out soon.
  • Options
    Skrewdriver
  • Options
    Gang Starr
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Has anyone said The Bee Gees yet?

Me. But say it again to amplify exactly how great my answer was.

The Carpenters
    Bee Gees

ads said:

Adam Yauch of the Beastie Boys
    Duane Allman of the Allman Brothers
    Chris Bell from Big Star
    Some of the BeeGees

McBobbin said:

The bee gees

McBobbin said:

Has anyone said The Bee Gees yet?

Me. But say it again to amplify exactly how great my answer was.
    #Amplified
    Tragedy
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

stonemuse said:

Ian Dury - Blockheads

Yup, they only managed 51 gigs last year and released one of their best ever albums the year before with a new one out soon.
    Agreed, great album, but for me they are a different band without Dury.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    doronron said:

From the ashes of Nirvana came an even better band in the Foo Fighters

Should get a flag for that nonsense.

Pantera

Dimebag was murdered because of the split.
  • Options
    Quo - now Parfitt has shuffled off!
  • Options
    Arsenal.
  • Options
    Gong not Gong without Daevid Allen
  • Options
    Blaggers ITA
  • Options
    scidbox said:

Blaggers ITA

What happened there? On Your Toes is a favourite album of mine.
  • Options

Skrewdriver

Did you ever see them, I did
  • Options
    Morecambe and Wise
  • Options

Skrewdriver

I did too.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Anyone who thinks The Who effectively died along with Moon and Entwistle obviously didn't see any of their shows at the Royal Albert Hall or on the recent mini-tour of the UK. They were on fire.
  • Options
    Nadou said:

Anyone who thinks The Who effectively died along with Moon and Entwistle obviously didn't see any of their shows at the Royal Albert Hall or on the recent mini-tour of the UK. They were on fire.

Or at the Shepperds Bush Empire, although Entwistle was still going at the time
  • Options

Skrewdriver

No mate
  • Options
    Nadou said:

They were fantastic at the RAH. They changed after Moon died but as I said earlier up the thread, Entwistle's death changed their sound more.
  • Options

Nadou said:

They were fantastic at the RAH. They changed after Moon died but as I said earlier up the thread, Entwistle's death changed their sound more.
    All their best music was recorded when Moon was alive. Creatively they have been dead since he died even if still a great live band
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    McBobbin said:

Nadou said:

All their best music was recorded when Moon was alive. Creatively they have been dead since he died even if still a great live band
    They only recorded two albums after Moon died and whilst there were a few gems in them, were miles away from their best releases. This was partly due to the era (early 80's) and the writing style of the tracks rather than Moon not being there though.

Edit. They did release Wire & Glass in 06 but was really like a Townsend solo album with Daltrey singing the songs. Still some decent tracks though
  • Options

McBobbin said:

Nadou said:

They only recorded two albums after Moon died and whilst there were a few gems in them, were miles away from their best releases. This was partly due to the era (early 80's) and the writing style of the tracks rather than Moon not being there though.

Edit. They did release Wire & Glass in 06 but was really like a Townsend solo album with Daltrey singing the songs. Still some decent tracks though
    I think it's the fact that they were older. I'm pretty sure that most musicians are at their creative peak in their 20s. Ok there's the odd exception like Scott Walker who make more interesting music as they get older, but the albums get further and further apart
  • Options
    I saw Joe Strummer and The Mescaleros support The Who, including Entwistle. A gig remembered now with bittersweet fondness.
  • Options
    hawksmoor said:

I saw Joe Strummer and The Mescaleros support The Who, including Entwistle. A gig remembered now with bittersweet fondness.

If it was at Wembley arena. I was there too.
  • Options
    It was at the old Docklands Arena, mate, immediately before the Wembley date you went to, which my brother also went to. We'd beaten Chelsea at home on the Saturday and this gig was, what, on the Tuesday, and I remember thinking, what a week...