Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Australian Football Consortium - what do we know?

Comments

• Options
    As a London club located in a booming part of London I do think we should appeal however League One is a big stumbling block.

Best case, these guys come in achieve and take us to the PL. middle case, these guys come in take us to the Champ with a half decent team, go bust and sell us in a fire sale as a Champ club to someone better. Worst case, they come in, don't buy The Valley, don't get us promoted, go bust and RD steps back in to the ownership of a newly L2 Charlton which is where we would be end of next season anyway...!
  • Options

'They are now going back to investors to secure the funding'

I'm sure they already have the required funding in place otherwise they wouldn't have even got to talk to Roly.

QA didn't actually mention RD, Large.

He stated that the guy had been to London to meet with Meire .....
    No mention of RD Jean. Sounded like he was one of a group who had travelled to London and met with the CEO Meire. Let's just say he gave a very valid description of her, so my friend knew he was probably not messing.
    Are you sure it was valid and not vapid mate?!?
  • Options
    edited April 2017

In terms of potential, I think we tick all the boxes! There is a shortcut out of League One as long as you have a manager who knows what he is doing. The Championship is full of basket cases like Derby who spend silly money, so it is more of a challenge. Although they will implode at some point if they can't get promotion. There are also premiership clubs with parachute money to contend with. But it is possible.

Another thing is the money that can be made in Australia, if Charlton become quasi Australian. I think there is great potential to link a club with a nation - China would be my first thought. Bring in 2or 3 players from there and promote the club in that country. China probably is more potentially lucrative than Australia, but I'm sure getting 3 or 4 high end Championship players from Oz is more than possible. Get the publicity and public around what you are trying to achieve and you have something that Derby and their ilk do not have!

And with the pound so weak it is a great opportunity to buy us!

Trust me, we don't want to become "quasi australian" mate, and I'm married to an Aussie with both my children born here!

They do do some good things here, but as I posted on the other thread, I really don't want them anywhere near my Charlton! (The other half better not see this!)

Seriously though, I don't mean to be bitter about aussie's or neither do I want RD & KM to remain. Not one iota. I really do think that we have to be cautious about these recent developments, especially regarding The Valley.

Sport here is a strange experience, hence the reason I have no interest in it.
    My only sporting pleasure is still back in SE7 in the middle of the night, on the few and far occasions that has been recently!

Speaking after 8 years of living here, if there is one lot of people I wouldn't trust with my club, other than the current incumbents in place, it would be the people that run sports in Australia.
  • Options
    As we believe they're not the best option for the future, are they the best option to get rid of RD?

Barring the stuff about the Valley, i'd have said yes. But the Valley bit, the more I think, the less sure I am.
  • Options

In terms of potential, I think we tick all the boxes! There is a shortcut out of League One as long as you have a manager who knows what he is doing. The Championship is full of basket cases like Derby who spend silly money, so it is more of a challenge. Although they will implode at some point if they can't get promotion. There are also premiership clubs with parachute money to contend with. But it is possible.

Another thing is the money that can be made in Australia, if Charlton become quasi Australian. I think there is great potential to link a club with a nation - China would be my first thought. Bring in 2or 3 players from there and promote the club in that country. China probably is more potentially lucrative than Australia, but I'm sure getting 3 or 4 high end Championship players from Oz is more than possible. Get the publicity and public around what you are trying to achieve and you have something that Derby and their ilk do not have!

Trust me, we don't want to become "quasi australian" mate, and I'm married to an Aussie with both my children born here!

They do do some good things here, but as I posted on the other thread, I really don't want them anywhere near my Charlton! (The other half better not see this!)

Seriously though, I don't mean to be bitter about aussie's or neither do I want RD & KM to remain. Not one iota. I really do think that we have to be cautious about these recent developments, especially regarding The Valley.

My only sporting pleasure is still back in SE7 in the middle of the night, on the few and far occasions that has been recently!

Speaking after 8 years of living here, if there is one lot of people I wouldn't trust with my club, other than the current incumbents in place, it would be the people that run sports in Australia.
    Better off with some Yorkshire based Norwegians do you reckon?
  • Options
    Bring back MS and TJ.
  • Options
    LoOkOuT said:

I choose to believe that Peter Varney set this whole Aussie thing up as an elaborate ruse to wrestle the club from Roland and Murray on the sly and will walk in at the end of the press conference to reveal his cunning plan.

You've been in my dream, Lookie !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I asked Rick what the state of play was with Varney this morning and was met with eerie silence.
  • Options

I asked Rick what the state of play was with Varney this morning and was met with eerie silence.

At least he didn't burst into tears !
  • Options

Did he have his hearing aid turned on?
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Did he have his hearing aid turned on?
    What ?

• Options

I can't speak for Peter on this, but as far as I know he has no current involvement.
  • Options
    Australia's a lovely land,
    It's full of bonza blokes.
    Sheila's, beer, and no-one's queer,
    Except in Pommie jokes.

Australian's like dressing up,
    in skirts and having fun.
    And that's what we were doing
    when the vice squad came along.

With thanks to Python (Monty)
  • Options
    So, what is 'Leading Teams'?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

So, what is 'Leading Teams'?

https://www.leadingteams.net.au
  • Options

So if the deal "is done" and just a case of pulling the funds together does that mean that Katrien has been lying to us ?

I guess just because something isn't for sale doesn't mean it hasn't been sold.
  • Options

Ok, this is now public knowledge so I'm sure my mate won't mind me telling what happened. I'm trying to get him to come on here himself.
    On March 4th, I received an excited text from my mate in Melbourne.
    He started by saying "you're not going to believe this". Turns out he'd just been talking to a guy in a coffee shop in Balwyn. He asked my mate where he came from, my mate said Kent. The other fellow said he had lived in Sevenoaks for five years. My mate asked him whether he'd watched any Premier League football whilst living in London, the guy said he'd been to Chelsea and Liverpool and was currently heading up an Australian Consortium to buy an English Football Club.
    My mates ears pricked up! "what club" asks my mate. "Charlton Athletic" he replied. They had been looking at Norwich, QPR and Charlton apparently. This fellow had been to London already to meet with Miere and a deal had been agreed. At that stage he said it was 50/50 whether the deal went through. My mate gave his word that he would say nothing and although he told me, I too was sworn to secrecy.
    My mate has since spoken to this guy a few times. A few weeks back, he said that the deal was done, it was now just a case of pulling the funds together from consortium members. He also spoke of the consortiums intentions, but I don't think I should divulge those at this stage, but on the surface they are good if a little naive IMO. He saw the guy again a couple of days ago and was going to talk to him, but the guy was busy on his mobile phone (I wonder why!)
    My mate has just texted me the the guys name. He's apparently responsible for obtaining the funding and is now currently in the US, whether that is of any relevance, I don't know.
    I'm planning on going down to Melbourne next week to stay with my mate for a few days, so I'll see if it's possible to get to meet him whilst I'm there.

This sounds pretty promising to me, at least compared to what we have got at the moment. Any chance of quizzing him about ownership of the Valley which is something that does worry me.
  • Options
    msomerton said:

So Charlton Football club to be bought by two chances who have no money, who does that remind me of, that lot Rd bought the club off. To run a club are size and with promotion ambitions you need to have billions of pounds at your disposal so that losses of tens of millions a year for many do not concern you. If this lot have just 10-320 million to run the club we are up a creek without a paddle.

Actually think the opposite. Somebody like Red Bull with Billions comes in and says shit to the fans but may bring premiership football. Somebody with less money needs to keep the fans on board and get us back to being what we were proud of; a local club playing decent football, attracting decent decent crowds and a club to be proud of off the field as much as on.
  • Options
    Do we get a kangaroo on our badge?
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Redman asks:
    This sounds pretty promising to me, at least compared to what we have got at the moment. Any chance of quizzing him about ownership of the Valley which is something that does worry me.

I'm pretty sure that will be one of the first things he asks the next time he sees him as we didn't know about that until reading the press releases. I think previous discussions have centred more on the plans relating to the playing side. It worries me too. But perhaps the only reason why this deal has reached this stage, where others haven't got past the first email, is precisely because it is a very good offer, considering RD gets to still retain ownership of the Valley.
    The price we are unfortunately going to have to pay to get rid of this regime. We can only hope that well crafted safeguards are written into the lease to protect our long term future at the Valley.
  • Options
    edited April 2017

Redman asks:

I'm pretty sure that will be one of the first things he asks the next time he sees him as we didn't know about that until reading the press releases. I think previous discussions have centred more on the plans relating to the playing side. It worries me too. But perhaps the only reason why this deal has reached this stage, where others haven't got past the first email, is precisely because it is a very good offer, considering RD gets to still retain ownership of the Valley.
    The price we are unfortunately going to have to pay to get rid of this regime. We can only hope that well crafted safeguards are written into the lease to protect our long term future at the Valley.

The last part of your quote re The Valley is vitally important. If, and its a big if, the deal goes through as being reported with RD retaining control of our ground, then any intelligent group of investors would want written guarantees about renting it. This must include, but not exclusive to, future rent payments (so there are no nasty surprises), and an agreed price to purchase once the PL is reached, no matter how long that takes, and the legality of not being able to sell on the ground (by RD) for any other use. If those and other caveats are negotiated then perhaps this could be the right deal to get him out of the club now. I look forward to seeing how your meeting goes next week, unless of course you hear more earlier?
  • Options
    3 posts since 2am, des that mean this was all kangaroo shit?
  • Options
  • Options

Your kids are still English bruv!