Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Australian Football Consortium - what do we know?

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2017
  • Options
    So Charlton Football club to be bought by two chances who have no money, who does that remind me of, that lot Rd bought the club off. To run a club are size and with promotion ambitions you need to have billions of pounds at your disposal so that losses of tens of millions a year for many do not concern you. If this lot have just 10-320 million to run the club we are up a creek without a paddle.
  • Options

found a couple of interesting stories on Murphy.

Gerard Murphy, RFU's choice as a liaison between England's team and management, proved a barrier

The man who has become a figure of fun after it was revealed what England players thought of him in a leaked review was secretly hired by Martin Johnson two years ago to help him get his side into shape for the World Cup.

Management consultant Gerard Murphy was employed on the quiet by the Rugby Football Union as a liaison between the team and management shortly after moving to the UK with his company Elite Team Performance.
    Murphy, who spent most of his life in Australia, has worked as a consultant to everyone from West Ham to Crystal Palace to the Australian rowing team, according to his website.
    But Wednesday's leaked report reveals in his work for Johnson he was seen as more of a barrier than a liaison, earning the nickname “The Buffer” among players.
    To add insult to injury, the role Murphy played in England’s World Cup failure was pinpointed by the Premiership Rugby clubs in the review.
    “Johnson was appointed for his no-nonsense, humble, hard working character, his extremely high values and honesty,” it read. But it adds: “Johnson’s personality has been completely stripped away due to placing his trust in Murphy.”
    Related Articles

Players told their clubs that it often was apparent that Johnson was about to tear them off a strip, only to be held back by Murphy.
    Murphy, a consultant-turned-psychologist, subjected the England side to psychological testing in the build-up to the World Cup.
    Under the tests, carried out by Murphy, the players were asked to complete detailed questionnaires, which assigned each member of the squad an identity, comprising a colour and a bird.
    Veteran centre Mike Tindall was labelled a green dove, prop Andrew Sheridan a blue owl and winger Chris Ashton a yellow peacock.

----------------------------------------------------

Mystery surrounds the mid-season departure of Richmond leadership consultant Gerard Murphy, who suddenly left the club some weeks ago.

Fairfax Media understands several senior players agitated for change, having lost faith in Murphy's leadership style.

While both parties played down the significance of Murphy's abrupt departure, it is believed the club made the call on the Leading Teams co-founder after relationships broke down.

Richmond Football manager Dan Richardson brought Murphy to the Tigers after he famously rejuvenated the leadership group at Geelong that led the Cats to the 2007 premiership.

The club said Murphy left the Tigers to pursue other business interests and Murphy said it was a "mutual agreement" between him and the club, but the real circumstances surrounding his departure remain unclear.

He said it followed a meeting with club bosses at which both parties agreed to go their separate ways. Richardson would not elaborate, but said Murphy left "to pursue other business interests".

Since Murphy's departure in May, the club has been operating without a leadership consultant.

Coach Damian Hardwick takes part with various other club figures, playing semi-regular roles in the leadership meetings.

Club chief Brendon Gale attended Monday's leadership talks after the Tiger's season-ending loss to Port Adelaide on Friday night.

Given how cagey both parties have been regarding Murphy's mid-season departure, combined with the fact there has been no public announcement, it would suggest significant acrimony played a part.

Murphy has left Richmond halfway through a season that the club's on-field leadership and decision-making at crucial times have been widely criticised, with Trent Cotchin's captaincy raised on several occasions externally.

He arrived at Richmond at the end of 2014 as a leadership consultant following his success with Leading Teams at the Cats.

Murphy worked at Geelong for the 2007-08 seasons and was seen as largely a huge success story.

Murphy's leadership style is seen as bullish and direct, and while his methods have been widely praised he has, at times, been seen as confrontational.

He was the co-founder of Leading Teams in Australia, a system that has been adopted by several teams in the AFL, originally being made famous by the likes of Sydney and Geelong.

Murphy has been utilised by several businesses outside of sport, including Telstra, Shell and Caterpillar, and was recently involved in the merger between Fairfax and Macquarie radio.

In an interview with Sportsday radio last year, Tiger Steve Morris gave an insight into the work Murphy had been doing with the group.

He praised Murphy's impact on the group.

"He's been fantastic for us, Gerard. Just helping with our leadership team, with our development, how we can communicate better with one another. With his

experience, he's just invaluable to us as a young, developing group," Morris said.

Sounds like a bloke with Sporting Experience (Something that Roland doesnt have)...

Like with any team though it appears his methods have had mixed results wherever he's gone.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Maybe they have the required funds secured to complete the purchase but need to secure funding to cover the rest of the project i.e building a team to get to the PL?
  • Options

'They are now going back to investors to secure the funding'

I'm sure they already have the required funding in place otherwise they wouldn't have even got to talk to Roly.

Wrong phrase, sorry - my guess would be that they have commitments and they now need to physically get the money. The money would only be realised once a deal was done - no point in it sitting in the bank. An agreement in principle doesn't always lead to action and I'm sure those investors will think again before they hit the 'transfer funds' button.

If they do hit that button then it indicates they have faith in the business plan that only they have seen - we don't know jack shit about what it looks like!!
  • Options

I'm sure they already have the required funding in place otherwise they wouldn't have even got to talk to Roly.

QA didn't actually mention RD, Large.

He stated that the guy had been to London to meet with Meire .....
  • Options

Bit more reassured with that now. So they haven't got to raise funds as The Mail report suggests, more that they have the funds, now just to confirm as it sounds like RD is ready to sell to this lot.
  • Options

do you think he would have got to talk with Daisy without Roly agreeing to it?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    In regards to the Daily Mail's original article... I really wouldnt be surprised if a lot of their research has come from the http://www.australianfc.com.au/ website along with a little bit extra from a few people
  • Options

Australian coaches figure high in most UK sports except for football .. many sports from cycling to cricket to rugby union seems to have improved greatly under Aussie leadership .. they tend to be hard taskmasters and have been accused of bullying and sexism and a few other pc isms .. BUT, they get success

We need to find football's Eddie Jones. Step forward John Aloisi, current manager of Brisbane Roar.
  • Options

Australian coaches figure high in most UK sports except for football .. many sports from cycling to cricket to rugby union seems to have improved greatly under Aussie leadership .. they tend to be hard taskmasters and have been accused of bullying and sexism and a few other pc isms .. BUT, they get success

We need to find football's Eddie Jones. Step forward John Aloisi, current manager of Brisbane Roar.
    Well we were always linked with him back in the day, so maybe we get him now
  • Options
    As long as Mark Bosnich isn't getting lined up as our next manager they can't be worse
  • Options
    edited April 2017

He asked my mate where he came from, my mate said Sidcup in Kent.

• Options
    The content on http://www.australianfc.com.au/ suggests the fundraising was being conducted in March. I read this as it now having completed sufficiently for an exclusivity phase. I would have expected proof of funds for purchase before this was granted, if it has been.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Considering we're in the undisputed best city in the World, I still personally think that the Club should be an attractive prospect to anyone with enough dough and enough knowledge and the best intentions.

I have my doubts whether this particular group has the money, upfront to do it and I'm not so keen on the "Feeder club" label either.

Out of interest, does anyone know around how much Bloom has invested in BHA, not including the ground?
  • Options
    "Feeder club" i would that if AFC think they could get to the premiereship then you would not be selling your talented players
  • Options
    If they hail from Melbourne, well Melbourne have a huge Aussie Rules team that play in front of 40k+ crowds at the MCG.
    The team is called Carlton.
    Must count for something
    Tony Watt is begging for a hard taskmaster with a winning sporting ethic.
  • Options
    They are only trying to raise £33 million. Hardly enough.
  • Options

As long as Mark Bosnich isn't getting lined up as our next manager they can't be worse

Funny you should say that because about a year ago I met him in Canberra. Bosnich was hosting the sponsor's guests with a tour of the stadium pre-match and a quick q & a in the changing rooms before a Socceroos match.

I tried to be funny and said to him that he's played for Chelsea, Villa and Man United but did he have any regrets about not playing for a big club like Charlton.

He shot me down and said "Charlton?? No." But then he went on to say that strangely enough he had a dream just the night before that he bought an English football club. That club was Charlton.

Then someone asked him something else and we moved on. I saw him again after the match and reminded him to buy Charlton if he had the chance, nice bloke is Bozza.
  • Options

No mention of RD Jean. Sounded like he was one of a group who had travelled to London and met with the CEO Meire. Let's just say he gave a very valid description of her, so my friend knew he was probably not messing.