Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Australian Football Consortium - what do we know?

Comments

• Options
    They plan to go 4-4-2 with the current squad. They believe that will get us to Premier Leauge !
  • Options

What's Murphy's Palace connection? If someone can tell me, I might be able to find out more.

Consultant

To the Parish regime?

Doubt it. Smacks more of the Dowie 'Blue sky thinking, corporate team building weekend gone wrong' era
  • Options

"Murphy, a consultant-turned-psychologist, subjected the England side to psychological testing in the build-up to the World Cup.
    Under the tests, carried out by Murphy, the players were asked to complete detailed questionnaires, which assigned each member of the squad an identity, comprising a colour and a bird.
    Veteran centre Mike Tindall was labelled a green dove, prop Andrew Sheridan a blue owl and winger Chris Ashton a yellow peacock."

I can't help wondering how Charlton legends like Billy Bonds and Killer Hales would have reacted to being allocated Green Dove and Yellow Peacock identities.
  • Options

OK, so they have explained how they will raise the funds to purchase the club.
    Where are the funds going to come from to run it?
    Doesn't sound like they have any financial clout in place to build the squad through the divisions to reach their target of a return on investment.

From what I've seen, their plan sounds much more sensible. They quote they plan to raise $A59 which is roughly £33m. If this is £20m purchase price as indicated by the the Mail this leaves £13m to get us promoted and make us viable in the Championship. This seems achievable and realistic. At that stage they would look to raise further capital to the push to the Premier League. I would be more suspicious if they were looking to raise £100m at the outset.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Doesn't sound like they have any financial clout in place to build the squad through the divisions to reach their target of a return on investment.

They are businessmen - do you think they'll just raise the purchase price and then get to the end of the first month and think 'how the feck are we going to pay the wages?'
    No of course I don't Bob, but they are looking to raise investment and if I were looking to invest, then one of my first questions would be, is how is the day to day running of the business going to be funded?.......is that not a reasonable question.
    I am no expert of course but that prospectus looks a tad amateurish to me.

On another non related note, Chris Tate at Henslow was educated in London and had previously worked at Deloitte who were advisors to AFC so there is a connection there.
  • Options
    redman said:

From what I've seen, their plan sounds much more sensible. They quote they plan to raise $A59 which is roughly £33m. If this is £20m purchase price as indicated by the the Mail this leaves £13m to get us promoted and make us viable in the Championship. This seems achievable and realistic. At that stage they would look to raise further capital to the push to the Premier League. I would be more suspicious if they were looking to raise £100m at the outset.
    That makes sense as I hadn't realised the AUD exchange rate was so strong. Back in my day it was well over two to the pound.....thanks

• Options

A few years ago most were doing cartwheels when it was announced we were going to be run by a Belgian billionaire who was reportedly experienced in football and was somewhat a visionary.

Reality is in modern football it is a complete lottery as to how a new ownership will unfold and all speculation at the outset is just pure conjecture.

No one has a clue whether this takeover will happen, what it will turn out like if it does and what the club will look like in a year's time such is the nature of contemporary football ownership. History tells that it is best to reserve judgement until the evidence of intentions, ambition and capability is presented rather than nailing colours to one viewpoint and spending the subsequent weeks/ months/ seasons trying to make the reality fit that position.

A good barometer once all the bells, whistles and politics are stripped away is the football league table as for most fans I would presume the football is the most important thing. If a new ownership is in place in the next few months which does not put the club's going concern in jeopardy and there is evidence of improvement on the pitch (or at least a real desire for improvement and a rational, executable plan for achieving such) then it is likely progress upon what we have now.

For all the speculation it will ultimately be a case of time will tell. Hopefully if a new ownership comes in and doesn't immediately signal shady intentions towards the club's prosperity then supporters can, albeit whilst maintaining healthy scepticism, get behind the new ownership and unite as a fanbase with optimism and positivity that has been (understandably) absent in the past few years.

Ultimately it will come down to results on the pitch first and foremost. Get that right and the majority will be happy.

An honest & common sense approach to the current conundrum.

And one on which to bid goodnight to CL.

Thanks, RCT.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2017

They plan to go 4-4-2 with the current squad. They believe that will get us to Premier Leauge !

Is it a diamond midfield though? Does the manager know how that works? Better email him.
  • Options
    I should like this, alot... based out of Melbourne, ex links with Richmond (My club in AFL).

I suppose that the Roland has kicked me about so much I can't even get close to feeling ok about anything.

If he retains the Valley then I am just so uncomfortable that I battle low level panic whenever I think about it.

Football eh... Whatever happens if Roland leaves it has to be a good thing.
  • Options

"Murphy, a consultant-turned-psychologist, subjected the England side to psychological testing in the build-up to the World Cup.
    Under the tests, carried out by Murphy, the players were asked to complete detailed questionnaires, which assigned each member of the squad an identity, comprising a colour and a bird.
    Veteran centre Mike Tindall was labelled a green dove, prop Andrew Sheridan a blue owl and winger Chris Ashton a yellow peacock."

I can't help wondering how Charlton legends like Billy Bonds and Killer Hales would have reacted to being allocated Green Dove and Yellow Peacock identities.

On the plus side, Captain Peacock would only have needed a colour allocated to him. I see Hales as more of a Heliotrope Sparrowhawk, really.
  • Options

Ok, this is now public knowledge so I'm sure my mate won't mind me telling what happened. I'm trying to get him to come on here himself.
    On March 4th, I received an excited text from my mate in Melbourne.
    He started by saying "you're not going to believe this". Turns out he'd just been talking to a guy in a coffee shop in Balwyn. He asked my mate where he came from, my mate said Kent. The other fellow said he had lived in Sevenoaks for five years. My mate asked him whether he'd watched any Premier League football whilst living in London, the guy said he'd been to Chelsea and Liverpool and was currently heading up an Australian Consortium to buy an English Football Club.
    My mates ears pricked up! "what club" asks my mate. "Charlton Athletic" he replied. They had been looking at Norwich, QPR and Charlton apparently. This fellow had been to London already to meet with Miere and a deal had been agreed. At that stage he said it was 50/50 whether the deal went through. My mate gave his word that he would say nothing and although he told me, I too was sworn to secrecy.
    My mate has since spoken to this guy a few times. A few weeks back, he said that the deal was done, it was now just a case of pulling the funds together from consortium members. He also spoke of the consortiums intentions, but I don't think I should divulge those at this stage, but on the surface they are good if a little naive IMO. He saw the guy again a couple of days ago and was going to talk to him, but the guy was busy on his mobile phone (I wonder why!)
    My mate has just texted me the the guys name. He's apparently responsible for obtaining the funding and is now currently in the US, whether that is of any relevance, I don't know.
    I'm planning on going down to Melbourne next week to stay with my mate for a few days, so I'll see if it's possible to get to meet him whilst I'm there.

Mate, you should put this on the other thread ...
  • Options
    'Norwich,QPR and Charlton'
    Would make sense, as one plays in yellow, the other is in Oz heartland in London and the third is (relatively) cheap.
  • Options

A few years ago most were doing cartwheels when it was announced we were going to be run by a Belgian billionaire who was reportedly experienced in football and was somewhat a visionary.

Reality is in modern football it is a complete lottery as to how a new ownership will unfold and all speculation at the outset is just pure conjecture.

No one has a clue whether this takeover will happen, what it will turn out like if it does and what the club will look like in a year's time such is the nature of contemporary football ownership. History tells that it is best to reserve judgement until the evidence of intentions, ambition and capability is presented rather than nailing colours to one viewpoint and spending the subsequent weeks/ months/ seasons trying to make the reality fit that position.

A good barometer once all the bells, whistles and politics are stripped away is the football league table as for most fans I would presume the football is the most important thing. If a new ownership is in place in the next few months which does not put the club's going concern in jeopardy and there is evidence of improvement on the pitch (or at least a real desire for improvement and a rational, executable plan for achieving such) then it is likely progress upon what we have now.

For all the speculation it will ultimately be a case of time will tell. Hopefully if a new ownership comes in and doesn't immediately signal shady intentions towards the club's prosperity then supporters can, albeit whilst maintaining healthy scepticism, get behind the new ownership and unite as a fanbase with optimism and positivity that has been (understandably) absent in the past few years.

Ultimately it will come down to results on the pitch first and foremost. Get that right and the majority will be happy.

As they say...'This'
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Ok, this is now public knowledge so I'm sure my mate won't mind me telling what happened. I'm trying to get him to come on here himself.
    On March 4th, I received an excited text from my mate in Melbourne.
    He started by saying "you're not going to believe this". Turns out he'd just been talking to a guy in a coffee shop in Balwyn. He asked my mate where he came from, my mate said Kent. The other fellow said he had lived in Sevenoaks for five years. My mate asked him whether he'd watched any Premier League football whilst living in London, the guy said he'd been to Chelsea and Liverpool and was currently heading up an Australian Consortium to buy an English Football Club.
    My mates ears pricked up! "what club" asks my mate. "Charlton Athletic" he replied. They had been looking at Norwich, QPR and Charlton apparently. This fellow had been to London already to meet with Miere and a deal had been agreed. At that stage he said it was 50/50 whether the deal went through. My mate gave his word that he would say nothing and although he told me, I too was sworn to secrecy.
    My mate has since spoken to this guy a few times. A few weeks back, he said that the deal was done, it was now just a case of pulling the funds together from consortium members. He also spoke of the consortiums intentions, but I don't think I should divulge those at this stage, but on the surface they are good if a little naive IMO. He saw the guy again a couple of days ago and was going to talk to him, but the guy was busy on his mobile phone (I wonder why!)
    My mate has just texted me the the guys name. He's apparently responsible for obtaining the funding and is now currently in the US, whether that is of any relevance, I don't know.
    I'm planning on going down to Melbourne next week to stay with my mate for a few days, so I'll see if it's possible to get to meet him whilst I'm there.

Well played sir!
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

They are businessmen - do you think they'll just raise the purchase price and then get to the end of the first month and think 'how the feck are we going to pay the wages?'
    How do you make a small fortune from Football, start off with a big one!! Many an astute businessman has floundered on the rocks of football ownership!
  • Options

So if the deal "is done" and just a case of pulling the funds together does that mean that Katrien has been lying to us ?

She's just got a very poor memory
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

bobmunro said:

How do you make a small fortune from Football, start off with a big one!! Many an astute businessman has floundered on the rocks of football ownership!
    Totally agree with this. Their whole business strategy is predicated on achieving Prem status where profits can be made - if they don't, it fails, so huge risk.

It also appears the strategy also includes an IPO once the promised land is reached to enable the initial investors to realise their return on investment - even bigger risk!!
  • Options
    So,basically, RD trousers the money from Lookman and Fox , and then sells the club. One way of getting an extra 13m in your sky-rocket.
  • Options

So,basically, RD trousers the money from Lookman and Fox , and then sells the club. One way of getting an extra 13m in your sky-rocket.

Comment was made about this, but now probably isn't the time!
  • Options

I'm assuming this guy works for Hemslow?

You should stick your post on the other thread by the way, deserves a greater audience
  • Options
    found a couple of interesting stories on Murphy.

Gerard Murphy, RFU's choice as a liaison between England's team and management, proved a barrier

The man who has become a figure of fun after it was revealed what England players thought of him in a leaked review was secretly hired by Martin Johnson two years ago to help him get his side into shape for the World Cup.

Management consultant Gerard Murphy was employed on the quiet by the Rugby Football Union as a liaison between the team and management shortly after moving to the UK with his company Elite Team Performance.
    Murphy, who spent most of his life in Australia, has worked as a consultant to everyone from West Ham to Crystal Palace to the Australian rowing team, according to his website.
    But Wednesday's leaked report reveals in his work for Johnson he was seen as more of a barrier than a liaison, earning the nickname “The Buffer” among players.
    To add insult to injury, the role Murphy played in England’s World Cup failure was pinpointed by the Premiership Rugby clubs in the review.
    “Johnson was appointed for his no-nonsense, humble, hard working character, his extremely high values and honesty,” it read. But it adds: “Johnson’s personality has been completely stripped away due to placing his trust in Murphy.”
    Related Articles

Players told their clubs that it often was apparent that Johnson was about to tear them off a strip, only to be held back by Murphy.
    Murphy, a consultant-turned-psychologist, subjected the England side to psychological testing in the build-up to the World Cup.
    Veteran centre Mike Tindall was labelled a green dove, prop Andrew Sheridan a blue owl and winger Chris Ashton a yellow peacock.

----------------------------------------------------

Mystery surrounds the mid-season departure of Richmond leadership consultant Gerard Murphy, who suddenly left the club some weeks ago.

Fairfax Media understands several senior players agitated for change, having lost faith in Murphy's leadership style.

While both parties played down the significance of Murphy's abrupt departure, it is believed the club made the call on the Leading Teams co-founder after relationships broke down.

Richmond Football manager Dan Richardson brought Murphy to the Tigers after he famously rejuvenated the leadership group at Geelong that led the Cats to the 2007 premiership.

The club said Murphy left the Tigers to pursue other business interests and Murphy said it was a "mutual agreement" between him and the club, but the real circumstances surrounding his departure remain unclear.

He said it followed a meeting with club bosses at which both parties agreed to go their separate ways. Richardson would not elaborate, but said Murphy left "to pursue other business interests".

Since Murphy's departure in May, the club has been operating without a leadership consultant.

Coach Damian Hardwick takes part with various other club figures, playing semi-regular roles in the leadership meetings.

Club chief Brendon Gale attended Monday's leadership talks after the Tiger's season-ending loss to Port Adelaide on Friday night.

Given how cagey both parties have been regarding Murphy's mid-season departure, combined with the fact there has been no public announcement, it would suggest significant acrimony played a part.

Murphy has left Richmond halfway through a season that the club's on-field leadership and decision-making at crucial times have been widely criticised, with Trent Cotchin's captaincy raised on several occasions externally.

He arrived at Richmond at the end of 2014 as a leadership consultant following his success with Leading Teams at the Cats.

Murphy worked at Geelong for the 2007-08 seasons and was seen as largely a huge success story.

Murphy's leadership style is seen as bullish and direct, and while his methods have been widely praised he has, at times, been seen as confrontational.

He was the co-founder of Leading Teams in Australia, a system that has been adopted by several teams in the AFL, originally being made famous by the likes of Sydney and Geelong.

Murphy has been utilised by several businesses outside of sport, including Telstra, Shell and Caterpillar, and was recently involved in the merger between Fairfax and Macquarie radio.

In an interview with Sportsday radio last year, Tiger Steve Morris gave an insight into the work Murphy had been doing with the group.

He praised Murphy's impact on the group.

"He's been fantastic for us, Gerard. Just helping with our leadership team, with our development, how we can communicate better with one another. With his

experience, he's just invaluable to us as a young, developing group," Morris said.
  • Options

I'm assuming this guy works for Hemslow?

You should stick your post on the other thread by the way, deserves a greater audience
    Don't know for sure Large. According to my mate when I asked the same question " He's acting for a group, I think "Leading Teams" is involved".