Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lowest point ever?

Comments

• Options
    I dont think its the lowest point, I think it is the most frustrating point, the old hands who have been supporting CAFC for decades have seen worse, I remember we played York City and there were less than 5k there, but we came back from that and the Selhurst exile to be a good Prem team for nearly a decade.
    I think it is frustrating because the Rat can afford to lose money and just does not care what happens results wise, so as fans we are at our wits end, we want to support our club as we always have done, but we have the experience to know that we have to administer some tough love, protests, boycotting etc.
    Its like if you have kids, you (mostly) support them no matter what, but if they go of the rails too far, then you have to go the tough love route. Not that my kids have ever been trouble........well except one, he's a tit. ;o)
  • Options

Swisdom said:

Tonight is a new low. Not just in league position but in performance. I just want the season to finish and for us not to get relegated. Then? The mother of rebuilding jobs!

They're starting work on the training ground at last? @Swisdom
    God knows. We've had more false dawns than the England football team down there!
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Swisdom said:

Tonight is a new low. Not just in league position but in performance. I just want the season to finish and for us not to get relegated. Then? The mother of rebuilding jobs!

God knows. We've had more false dawns than the England football team down there!
    KM said last night they'd "started work" on phase three.

I mention this because the training ground is, for me at least, a bell weather for the club's intentions. While that sits and little or no work is done then the club has no plans to move forward.

That plus everything that has been said above tells me that the club is now in a nightmarish limbo with no attempt to move forward or improve, just to somehow survive until Duchatelet sells or by luck Meire finds a competent manager who is given the right backing (which she never will).

Even in the 70s or at Selhurst there was a desire to improve, the aim was to get promoted or get back home. Now there is nothing.

Robinson is a joke appointment but he is a symptom of the problem not the problem itself, that is Duchatelet and his talentless acolytes
  • Options
    I really don’t know what to make of yesterday. I’ve only been to The Valley twice this season, and went along to pay tribute to a man that I didn’t know but had probably shared a lot of experiences with over the years. I stood outside the ground prior to going in, but it didn’t feel like Home anymore.
    The tribute paid to Keith was tastefully done, standing in a large gathering in total silence sends shivers down my spine.
    What followed was a total shambles, no co-ordination, seemed tittle coaching, lethargy and lots of square pegs in round holes. The thing that summed it up for me was when the ball went out of play and Robinson tried and failed to catch it, like some bloke walking past a football pitch in the park with his dog. That and the “Song for Sue” wife of the club secretary, and in all honesty she probably deserved it.
    But I couldn’t get over the fact that no matter what shit I was witnessing in front of me, I wasn’t a little girl of five years old, whose Dad went to work a couple of weeks ago and didn’t come home.
    Roland, Meire, Robinson just fuck off and make me care again.
  • Options
    Blackpool away 1972 relegated and getting nicked up there.
    Leaving the valley. Lower point.
    Lowest point is a pair of Belgian testicles where I'd like to put my size nine.
  • Options

Swisdom said:

Swisdom said:

KM said last night they'd "started work" on phase three.

I mention this because the training ground is, for me at least, a bell weather for the club's intentions. While that sits and little or no work is done then the club has no plans to move forward.

That plus everything that has been said above tells me that the club is now in a nightmarish limbo with no attempt to move forward or improve, just to somehow survive until Duchatelet sells or by luck Meire finds a competent manager who is given the right backing (which she never will).

Even in the 70s or at Selhurst there was a desire to improve, the aim was to get promoted or get back home. Now there is nothing.

Robinson is a joke appointment but he is a symptom of the problem not the problem itself, that is Duchatelet and his talentless acolytes
    phase three is the new phase two.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2017

Swisdom said:

I'd be happy if Robinson and the players actually started doing a bit of training, as there's precious little evidence of that on the pitch...
  • Options

Swisdom said:

I'd be happy if Robinson and the players actually started doing a bit of training, as there's precious little evidence of that on the pitch...
    I can't imagine Robinson sprinting around with the squad ...
  • Options
    "The night is always darkest just before the dawn". Have faith everyone. I think the takeover will happen.
  • Options
    Statistically almost certainly will prove to be the worst season since 1926 even if we manage to stay up so in that narrow sense yes close to worse ever.

71-72, 73-74, 79-80, 2008-09, 2010-11 all poor seasons in terms of the spectacle (or lack thereof) on the pitch just as this year. The difference from now is that in those earlier years there was a rational reason or an obvious period of transition to explain it allowing hope for the future.

When we left The Valley to go to Selhurst the intention to try and get back came into the public domain relatively quickly which allowed the hope that the nightmare was only temporary. I wasn't alive in the twenties but I suspect the move to The Mount in Catford engendered similar feelings given that The Valley remained available.

The difference now, from my individual perspective anyway, is that I see little hope for the future. If Duchatelet stays then the inevitable downward spiral through the divisions and out of the league continues.

If he leaves and Red Bull are the purchasers then we will almost certainly leave The Valley for the Peninsular. For me The Valley IS Charlton so given the two scenarios I've mentioned yes it is the lowest point in my opinion since 1963 when I started supporting the Club.
  • Options
    Most frustrating thing for me is that this is all so unnecessary! The club lost ~£13m last year, which RD has presumably had to cover, albeit in the form of loans. Add that to the initial purchase price of the club, investment since then, losses in previous years and it's a massive sum of money. Just imagine what could have been done if even a quarter of that amount had been properly invested back in 2014/15 with the addition of some quality players and by either keeping faith with SCP or bringing in another manager with a proven record in English football, supporting him financially and letting him get on with the football without interference. I genuinely believe that if that had happened we would at the very least be vying for promotion from the Championship instead of fighting to avoid the drop from League fucking One!

I am so bloody angry at this needless destruction of our club! RD has not had a single penny from me this season and that will continue for as long as he is the owner of this club.
  • Options
    Lowest point ever?
    Yes, hard to argue with that. But with the snowballing momentum ever downwards, this is just the lowest point yet. 4:50pm this coming Saturday will be the next new low, after Southend roll us over and put clear daylight between them and the spanners in the race for the playoffs. "Good" Friday 4:50pm as Coventry avoid defeat...
    You see where this is all going?
    Finishing no lower than 20th is dependent now on the fallibility and inconsistency of the 6 teams from Bury to Swindon inclusive. This disheartened, poorly led rabble of crocks, misfits, charlatans and kids won't muster anything in the 5 remaining games. Their spirit, courage, and integrity were all clearly exposed last night. With "you're not fit to wear the shirt" still ringing in their ears, one or two will redouble their efforts but that effort will be absorbed and nullified by the withering amoeba the squad has become.
    Ever lower lows attained by ever lower forms of life.
  • Options
    I find myself getting increasingly angry and wound up reading all these and just thinking about last night. I'm having to exercise some real self restraint in typing this as we speak. It's really hard not to let rip in a torrent of abuse
  • Options
    cabbles said:

I find myself getting increasingly angry and wound up reading all these and just thinking about last night. I'm having to exercise some real self restraint in typing this as we speak. It's really hard not to let rip in a torrent of abuse

The good news for you tibbs is that Sue Parkes has deflected the name calling away from yourself...................every cloud :wink:
  • Options
    Yep, lowest point in forty years for me. Unfortunately, just the lowest in a long line of Duchatelet and Meire lows. What we know is that there will be another one along soon. Lowest league finish since Division Three South. That's if they don't manage to top it with relegation. Please, please, anyone, please buy the club. Nothing could be worse than what these hopeless Belgians have foisted on us. We should be considering a monument to their incompetence to stand as a warning to all for the future.
  • Options
    If we manage to stay up this year we will be next years Coventry if he don't sell
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We risk being one of those clubs who are held up as a shining example of how things can go so wrong ... Portsmouth Mark II
  • Options
    The experiment has failed, RD needs to cut his losses and get the hell out. If Charlton are such a small part of his empire, why doesn't he just sell the club, why would he want the hassle of protests and bad PR that owning Charlton brings him?.I think he is looking to sell, but is waiting for the best offer, that's why the club feels like a zombie ATM.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

https://youtu.be/hOMvs_1UFCk

After he sells obviously

Loved hearing that played for us at Wembley. I know it's a cheesey promotion track, but when you're the winners it feels so good. Get goosebumps when i recall that day. Get the FECK OUT of our club Roland. Those days seem so far away no thanks to you.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Statistically almost certainly will prove to be the worst season since 1926 even if we manage to stay up so in that narrow sense yes close to worse ever.

71-72, 73-74, 79-80, 2008-09, 2010-11 all poor seasons in terms of the spectacle (or lack thereof) on the pitch just as this year. The difference from now is that in those earlier years there was a rational reason or an obvious period of transition to explain it allowing hope for the future.

When we left The Valley to go to Selhurst the intention to try and get back came into the public domain relatively quickly which allowed the hope that the nightmare was only temporary. I wasn't alive in the twenties but I suspect the move to The Mount in Catford engendered similar feelings given that The Valley remained available.

The difference now, from my individual perspective anyway, is that I see little hope for the future. If Duchatelet stays then the inevitable downward spiral through the divisions and out of the league continues.

If he leaves and Red Bull are the purchasers then we will almost certainly leave The Valley for the Peninsular. For me The Valley IS Charlton so given the two scenarios I've mentioned yes it is the lowest point in my opinion since 1963 when I started supporting the Club.

There is certainly no rational reason for the dismal run of form now - our squad today, whatever gripes we have about a few individuals, is better than 2010-2011.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    Post of the year @Dave2l Exactly how I feel.
  • Options
    Owners like RD that do not care about the club are quite happy to have useless corporate administrators like KM ( under any other circumstances she would have been dismissed years ago)
    There is a fact that goes with this abuse of a club. Hopeless management leads to failure on the pitch. RD and KM have no cares for Charlton and especially the supporters. But they could have built a successful team,and still despised the supporters- they have not.
    Look at the real failures - Coventry, Blackburn, Leyton Orient, Charlton owners that do not care equals football failure.
    What do they care about?
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Lowest point yet, but lower yet to come.
    Extrapolating clubs' form, over their last 10 matches, forward to their remaining 5/6 games gives us this final points table:

20th Charlton 50
    21st Swindon 50
    22nd Shrewsbury 49
    23rd Coventry 42
    24th Chesterfield 40

currently there is a 16 goal difference buffer to Swindon but that will inevitably contract

Recent form can only be a guide but this should be keeping all concerned awake for the rest of the month
    Based on Tuesday's abomination I can't see where gobby's Charlton will find another point, let alone 3. Even with redoubled cohesion and effort we'll still be struggling. We have to play Southend, Gills, Swindon and Chesterfield for whom the games are crucial.
    In truth Charlton's fate was never in gobby's hands cos the clumsy halfwit discarded it months back, but it is very much now in the players' hands. It's a very feint hope but maybe there are enough players for whom avoiding the ignominy of relegation is a big enough motivating force for them to get their collective heads out of their superannuated arseholes to perhaps avoid defeat 4 times out of 5.
    Keep smilin one and all, it will be over soon enough :neutral:
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    cabbles said:

Gotta behave now you're a mod!
  • Options
    From a personal viewpoint I think my lowest point ever was when I visited The Dead Sea