Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sgt Pepper 50 (almost)

13»

Comments

• Options
    the cover for the 50th anniversary release?
  • Options

Sgt Pepper is still my favourite album.
    But then I still hear it the way I did when I was 13 years old.
    I imagine that if you weren't aged between 13 and 30 in May 1967 it may be difficult to appreciate it's impact and cultural significance at the time.
    Judged now without that context as a collection of songs compared to all that has come since it loses that impact.
    In the space of 5 years The Beatles developed their unique sound from the relative simplicity of Love Me Do to the sophistication of A Day in the Life.
    Where they led the rest followed and Pepper was the pinnacle of their development and achievement imo.
    They left the competition in their wake.
    Brian Wilson collapsed under the weight of his ambition to compete or surpass them.
    Dylan copped out completely took time with his family out to recover from his motorbike accident.
    The Stones, completely out of their depth, were reduced to a pale imitation (though Satanic Majesties does have it's charm. At least they weren't going through the motions back then)
    The Who had nothing.
    The Kinks eschewed psychedelia completely (ironically their album's timeless quality has served it well).
    After Pepper there was nowhere new for the Beatles to go - they still made some great records but so did the competition.
    Pepper reminds me of the time when England still seemed to rule the world in music and fashion; when we were the current World Cup holders and most of my life was still ahead of me.
    Happy days.I play it and I'm there.

Great post - pretty much sums up my thoughts (although I was only a whippersnapper of 10 when it came out!).
  • Options
    A bit less than 30 years ago, I got one of those new-fangled compact disc players for my 18th birthday and this was the first CD I got (it was 20 years ago today 30 years ago and had just been re-issued). Played it to death and it remains one of my favourite albums of all time.

Damn, I feel old.
  • Options

I imagine that if you weren't aged between 13 and 30 in May 1967 it may be difficult to appreciate it's impact and cultural significance at the time.
    Judged now without that context as a collection of songs compared to all that has come since it loses that impact.
    In the space of 5 years The Beatles developed their unique sound from the relative simplicity of Love Me Do to the sophistication of A Day in the Life.
    Where they led the rest followed and Pepper was the pinnacle of their development and achievement imo.
    Brian Wilson collapsed under the weight of his ambition to compete or surpass them.
    Dylan copped out completely took time with his family out to recover from his motorbike accident.
    The Stones, completely out of their depth, were reduced to a pale imitation (though Satanic Majesties does have it's charm. At least they weren't going through the motions back then)
    The Who had nothing.
    The Kinks eschewed psychedelia completely (ironically their album's timeless quality has served it well).
    After Pepper there was nowhere new for the Beatles to go - they still made some great records but so did the competition.
    Pepper reminds me of the time when England still seemed to rule the world in music and fashion; when we were the current World Cup holders and most of my life was still ahead of me.

I think that's putting it a bit strongly. Sgt Pepper is undoubtedly a great and original album but it doesn't come from nowhere. As Macca has acknowledged Pet Sounds was a massive influence of Sgt P

For anyone who hasn't seen it, George Martin's series "Soubdbreaking" (On demand at Sky Arts) is brilliant on the development of music production.

• Options
    Jints said:

The Who had nothing.

I think that's putting it a bit strongly. Sgt Pepper is undoubtedly a great and original album but it doesn't come from nowhere. As Macca has acknowledged Pet Sounds was a massive influence of Sgt P

I would never claim it came from nowhere Jints.
    In fact it was a logical and qualitative progression from the albums that came before it imo.
    There is also no doubt that they were influenced by and assimilated the best work of their contemporaries.
    I would also say Pet Sounds is a work of genius and Brian Wilson's masterpiece and in terms of production and musical sophistication it probably stands above any of his contemporaries, including arguably the Beatles.
    But here's the thing - nobody bought it (well comparatively).
    However experimental and out-there the Beatles went they always carried their audience with them because they could incorporate their psychedelic whims within their commercial instincts.
    My point with Pepper is not just that it is a great album (which I think it was but that's down to personal subjective opinion) but that also it caught the zeitgeist like no other album before or since.
  • Options

Jints said:

The Who had nothing.

In fact it was a logical and qualitative progression from the albums that came before it imo.
    There is also no doubt that they were influenced by and assimilated the best work of their contemporaries.
    I would also say Pet Sounds is a work of genius and Brian Wilson's masterpiece and in terms of production and musical sophistication it probably stands above any of his contemporaries, including arguably the Beatles.
    However experimental and out-there the Beatles went they always carried their audience with them because they could incorporate their psychedelic whims within their commercial instincts.
    My point with Pepper is not just that it is a great album (which I think it was but that's down to personal subjective opinion) but that also it caught the zeitgeist like no other album before or since.
    I don't believe that the level of sales is necessarily the best judge of excellence (ie Pet Sounds). If that were the case, Westlife would be classed as a modern day band of considerable excellence !!.

No question that the Beatles and Brian Wilson were rivals to the point of pursuing musical perfection. I believe that if Brian's "lost" album, SMiLE was released in 1967, it would have flopped because it was years before it's time; yet to me, in 2017, SMiLE is the nearest album to musical perfection that I have heard.
  • Options
    PeterGage said:

Jints said:

The Who had nothing.

I don't believe that the level of sales is necessarily the best judge of excellence (ie Pet Sounds). If that were the case, Westlife would be classed as a modern day band of considerable excellence !!.

No question that the Beatles and Brian Wilson were rivals to the point of pursuing musical perfection. I believe that if Brian's "lost" album, SMiLE was released in 1967, it would have flopped because it was years before it's time; yet to me, in 2017, SMiLE is the nearest album to musical perfection that I have heard.
    Just for clarity Peter, I absolutely agree that sales are no measure artistic merit. God forbid.
    As I said, I think Pet Sound is a masterpiece and a work of genius.
    The point I was trying to make with the sales reference was that whatever the respective merits of PS and Pepper, it was the Beatles that had their finger on the pulse of the times and their album that captured the imagination of a generation.

For what it's worth I am as much a Beach Boy fan as a Beatles fan.
    Have seen them live several times over the years with various line-ups.
    Also had many a bootleg of Smile before the official releases we had been craving for years.
    If we ever meet I'd love to chew the fat over it's merits. Beer in hand, natch :smile:
  • Options

PeterGage said:

Jints said:

The Who had nothing.

Just for clarity Peter, I absolutely agree that sales are no measure artistic merit. God forbid.
    The point I was trying to make with the sales reference was that whatever the respective merits of PS and Pepper, it was the Beatles that had their finger on the pulse of the times and their album that captured the imagination of a generation.

Also had many a bootleg of Smile before the official releases we had been craving for years.
    If we ever meet I'd love to chew the fat over it's merits. Beer in hand, natch :smile:
    If you do, ask @jimmyseed to film it. I bet it would be a fascinating conversation/reminiscence.
  • Options

PeterGage said:

Jints said:

The Who had nothing.

I am always up for a beer :-)
  • Options
    PeterGage said:

PeterGage said:

Jints said:

The Who had nothing.

A funny story... I have a border collie named Wilson (named after Brian). Last year whilst attending the Brian Wilson Pet Sounds concert in London, I got into conversation with one of Brian's band members beforehand. I proudly mentioned my dog Wilson and showed him a picture. He responded by mentioning that they had just returned from Japan on tour (which I knew), and met a Japanese lady, who had three dogs named Dennis (Wilson, Carl (Wilson) and Brian (Wilson)!! What a put down for me!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PeterGage said:

PeterGage said:

PeterGage said:

Jints said:

The Who had nothing.

A funny story... I have a border collie named Wilson (named after Brian). Last year whilst attending the Brian Wilson Pet Sounds concert in London, I got into conversation with one of Brian's band members beforehand. I proudly mentioned my dog Wilson and showed him a picture. He responded by mentioning that they had just returned from Japan on tour (which I knew), and met a Japanese lady, who had three dogs named Dennis (Wilson, Carl (Wilson) and Brian (Wilson)!! What a put down for me!!!
    Pet Hounds?