Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sgt Pepper 50 (almost)

Comments

• Options

TEL said:

Remember it coming out as I loved the cover....anyway I downloaded it today and I still enjoyed it.

I was having a drink before a Who concert at the Royal Albert Hall a few years ago and we shared a table with another couple. We didn't have a conversation, other than "is anyone sitting there" and "thanks". I was sure I recognised the guy but just couldn't place him. During the concert he was introduced to the audience, it was Peter Blake, the artist who designed the cover.
    Charlton fan to I believe!
  • Options

it's a classic album. helped by one of the finest and iconic cover art ever. personally not my favourite album by them. then again I might not be best qualified as one of my favourite songs by the Beatels is "I saw her standing there" which to me seems as close to a perfect pop song you can get.

There is absolutely no need to apologise for loving "I Saw Her Standing There"! It is, indeed, one of the best pop songs of all time. And John Lennon and Elton John's live version from 1974 is incredible.

Agree with the other comments about Sgt Pepper. It's difficult for us today to imagine just what a huge cultural event it was - I don't know if any other album release has had such an impact.
  • Options

PeterGage said:

The Beatles and Beach Boys were huge rivals and both pushed the other to excel even further.

Brian Wilson eulogises about "Revolver" and Paul McCartney has often stated that "Pet Sounds" is his favourite album and "God Only Knows" his favourite track.

Sadly the pressure to then surpass Pepper (plus drug issues) broke Brian Wilson :-(
    Agreed in part. I say that because, in my opinion, the Subsequent album "SMiLE" excelled "Pet Sounds"
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    There is no such album as The White Album. It was The Beatles.
  • Options
    Redskin said:

There is no such album as The White Album. It was The Beatles.

Same goes for The Red & The Blue albums..........should be called 62-66 & 67-70.
  • Options
    Love everything the Beatles did. Strange to feel such a strong connection to a band that wasn't even still around when I was born.

Only realised the other day that they were only writing hits over an 8 year period which shows how prolific they were in such a relatively short period.

Something inexplicably comforting and grounding about them and their music along with Charlton and only fools and horses repeats.
  • Options
    PeterGage said:

PeterGage said:

The Beatles and Beach Boys were huge rivals and both pushed the other to excel even further.

Brian Wilson eulogises about "Revolver" and Paul McCartney has often stated that "Pet Sounds" is his favourite album and "God Only Knows" his favourite track.

Sadly the pressure to then surpass Pepper (plus drug issues) broke Brian Wilson :-(
    Agreed in part. I say that because, in my opinion, the Subsequent album "SMiLE" excelled "Pet Sounds"
    The proper Smile album never emerged until decades after though, and from then on Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys were never the same again
  • Options
    Obla-di-obla-da

Can't stand it
  • Options

Obla-di-obla-da

Can't stand it

We always had to do it in music at school, didnt realise that there was a bit of gender bending at the end.
  • Options
    If you are into the Beatles this is really worth a visit.
    Somehow through my good lady wife we managed to get an invite to the preview night and we ended up making an unexpected investment.
    Got to speak at length with the photographer, David Magnus, who had some fascinating insight as to what the Fab Four were really like behind the camera and I think that is borne out by some of the candid photographs on view.

https://howtospendit.ft.com/art/200352-rare-beatles-photographs-go-on-sale-at-chelseas-proud-gallery
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Impossible for those not around in the 60's to grasp what a truly massive day to day involvement The Beatles had on teenage culture in the Western World.
    There has never been a band to come even close....and yes, they were more popular than Jesus......
    down my way!
  • Options
    If you're ever in Liverpool, the Beatles museum in Albert Docks is well worth a visit, as is The Cavern Club, especially when they have the house Beatles cover band on.
  • Options

PeterGage said:

PeterGage said:

The proper Smile album never emerged until decades after though, and from then on Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys were never the same again
    Yep - SMiLE was released in 2004 by Brian and his band. Premiered at the Royal Festival Hall. My dog (border collie) is named "Wilson", after the great man.
  • Options
    Neil Young rips through Day in the Life.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GZFtWxFBAkg
  • Options

And rips through the guitar too! Massive Neil Young fan and Beatles fan. Not seen this before - thanks - saw Pegi was on xylophone. Was shocked when he divorced her after 36 years...but see he is now with Darryl Hannah...
  • Options
    cafc-west said:

And rips through the guitar too! Massive Neil Young fan and Beatles fan. Not seen this before - thanks - saw Pegi was on xylophone. Was shocked when he divorced her after 36 years...but see he is now with Darryl Hannah...
    Glasto 2009. Before he gave Pegi the elbow.
  • Options
    Coming out shortly ....

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/apr/05/sgt-pepper-is-50-new-documentary-beatles-alan-g-parker

Go watch it / buy it / press the red button

It IS very good if you're a Beatles fan
  • Options
    supaclive said:

Coming out shortly ....

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/apr/05/sgt-pepper-is-50-new-documentary-beatles-alan-g-parker

It's very good even if you aren't a Beatles fan.
  • Options

supaclive said:

Coming out shortly ....

It's very good even if you aren't a Beatles fan.
    We agree on something :-)
  • Options
    Of course....and why not!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    happy birthday lucky enough to still have all the Beatles on vynil . my pride and place is a bootleg copy of the Beatles Live at the Star club Hamburg . a double album with the story so far Includes Stuart Sutcliff and Pete Best . I picked it up in a second hand record shop on the corner by Crayford dog track . blimey seems a lifetime ago . still plays well
  • Options
    Quick quiz question.

The Beatles have four numbers in their repertoire that start with the words 'You say'. What are the song titles?

N.B. The Dave Clark Five also have one - best we don't mention it though.
  • Options
    Hello Goodbye
    And your bird can sing

err, give me time
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Can't buy me love

Edit. Fail. Dave Mehmet got the other one
  • Options
    Things we said today.
  • Options
    Birthday
  • Options
    Revolution
  • Options
    After listening to the news, thought I'd get up and remove this fun question as it seems so inappropriate.

Typical of CL though, already answered, well done @Six-a-bag-of-nuts and @DaveMehmet.

Hello Goodbye
    Birthday
    Revolution
    Things we said today.
  • Options
    I am a child of the 60's. for years have loved Sgt Peppers. Recent years I am not so sure. What was the Beatles input? Was it just George Martin's technical input. Some tracks have little Fab Four input.