Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Turkey, Erdogan, and what this means for Europe?

2»

Comments

• Options

Unless you mean turkey, the bird then I'm a fountain of knowledge, but it'll inevitably come round to eating em and that ain't allowed either

Managed to shoe horn your outrage at people disagreeing with eating non-human animal flesh into a discussion on Erdogan

Dude.... you are obsessed.... let it go
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited July 2018
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/turkey-recep-tayyip-erdogan-purge-cuts-rule-law-train-crash-a8447646.html

Interesting on impact of purges & how Erdogan’s economic approach & preference for big projects is undermining the economy.

There was a train crash linked to poor maintenance & upkeep of the railways. This was unreported in Turkey.
  • Options
    Just about everything that Erdogan stands for these days is, IMHO, both wrongheaded and likely to damage Turkey.

From undermining the secular state created by Ataturk, to his desire to restore Ottoman influence (his language and actions seem to indicate an expansionist desire, South & East in Syria and Iraq, and West into the Aegean), via attacks on media freedom, his alienation of minorities, and support for radical Islamist factions, Erdogan has been busy burning bridges over much of the last decade.

15 years ago Turkey, with its connections, both East and West, was a partner that others sought to court, because closer relations would be mutually beneficial , it is difficult to make them same case today.

Erdogan is rapidly moving into dangerous political space, fed, notwithstanding the "Gulenist" attempted coup, by what appears to be a growing paranoia, allied to a cynical, bombastic, nationalist and sectarian message. A century ago, Turkey was reshaped and redefined for the next 90 or so years by Kemal Ataturk; I doubt if many of us would want to see a repeat performance, under Erdogan, in reverse.
  • Options

Turkey's incredibly rising debt along with dropping currency spells absolute doom for it's economy. Erdogan will of course blame "speculators" and "foreign agitators" and use the issue to become an even more hardcore dictator.

What are the chances that you can swap Turkey for the USA in a few years time?
  • Options
    for erdogan, read ottoman
  • Options
    We got a Turkish mayor in Enfield this year and now it’s being investigated as to how it happened and links to organized crime and a criminal family tie
  • Options
    Bloody heck I'm going to Turkey for a two week holiday in 10 days.
    I'll sort him out if I come across him.
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited July 2018

We got a Turkish mayor in Enfield this year and now it’s being investigated as to how it happened and links to organized crime and a criminal family tie

Sorry to hear that you have a dodgy mayor, who happens to be Turkish. I take it you are not relating to this all Turkish people or potential Turkish mayors and is a stand alone comment unrelated to the main thread.
  • Options
    Just find the corruption in politics fascinating and the guardian reporting on our mayor this morning surprised me what with this a thread on Turkish politics I thought it’s apt

Turks give a wicked haircut and shave though plus great grub so I was quite looking forward to having a Turkish mayor
  • Options

Turks give a wicked haircut and shave though plus great grub

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Addickted said:

Just the picture of That made me gag
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Used to be quite partial to one of those beauties. Tasty burps an hour later too.
  • Options

Bloody heck I'm going to Turkey for a two week holiday in 10 days.
    I'll sort him out if I come across him.

It's an amazing country, full of fantastic people, Instanbul is my favourite city in the world.

Where you going?
  • Options
    Dalaman.
    It's my 4th visit to Turkey I've been to Antalia and Olu Deniz twice I love the country.
    Only thing I am worried about is the heat.but with 2 young grandkids of school age August it had to be.