Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

#Unity Protest 4th March - Accounts from those there

Comments

• Options
    Stig said:

...We seemed to have so much media coverage - there were interviews,cameras,photographers everywhere. certainly, Roly the Effigy seemed to be the most popular for the media there - and magnificent he was - for that @foresthillred , who spent so many long hours working on it , take a bow, son.Also, @GermanAddick who helped with the construction. Even, at one stage, when we had to make running repairs after his leg had fallen off, and his ear had come loose, one fan decided to drop his trousers and stick it in Rolys face :) - yes, you know who you are :)

I this the incident?

Duchatelet OUT (1 of 1)-5
    No! That's me trying to fix one of the bits that fell off Roland. I think the incident in question happened moments after though.
  • Options
    RedPanda said:

Some thoughts...

The organisation yesterday was top notch all day. Hundreds of man hours would have gone into that, all involved are Charlton heroes far beyond all our players (one or two excepted).

I was disappointed by the lack of STVV fans joining us. Theyre historically a lower league team so I think a lot are still grateful for that.

I still can't get over the darkened concourses with disco lights and crap music, all through the game. That house dj in Crossbars may not have solely been Meire's idea.

I had fun joining the Belgian 20 during and after the game, although hazy running on the pitch to sing "we want Roland out" is something I'll remember.

The Roland effigy was also a highlight, I should have taken one of his banknotes as a souvenir (one side included the names of Thuram, Reza etc, the other Yann, Morrison and so on).

Belgian beer is lethal.

PM me your address and I will send you one Red.
  • Options
    @foresthillred

That business in the concourse below the stand. Could not agree more. Guys I was with were all so cold and knackered that we decided we would stay down there for a while. We got beer and hot dogs but never even realised ST had gone two up until we sat down near a monitor. The bloody music had drowned at the "roar" of the crowd.

As you say, Roland's nightmare vision.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    sitting bleary eyed at work, I've already been told I was spotted on ITV news last night by a Charlton-supporting colleague and another saw the back of my head on the Daily Mail website.
    Fame (of sorts).
  • Options

Stig said:

...We seemed to have so much media coverage - there were interviews,cameras,photographers everywhere. certainly, Roly the Effigy seemed to be the most popular for the media there - and magnificent he was - for that @foresthillred , who spent so many long hours working on it , take a bow, son.Also, @GermanAddick who helped with the construction. Even, at one stage, when we had to make running repairs after his leg had fallen off, and his ear had come loose, one fan decided to drop his trousers and stick it in Rolys face :) - yes, you know who you are :)

I this the incident?

Duchatelet OUT (1 of 1)-5
    No! That's me trying to fix one of the bits that fell off Roland. I think the incident in question happened moments after though.
    Think we needed another bloke covering up the bloke covering up!
  • Options

PWR - just back in SE18

So proud.

A few tasty bits from a great weekend ....

1 - watched the magnificent banner of @sethplum attract a feeding frenzy from Belgian media

2 - the ST bobbies in plain clothes who supervised the march at the rear. I congratulated them on how well everything had been organised on all sides. Very soberly one replied, "Today is because you all love your club so much". He could see it in an instant - certain others it takes more than three years and they still don't get it.

3 - after the march we were on the coach to await return to our hotel. It was rather quiet after the day's excitement. I remarked "it's all so civilised, so ...., so ...., lost for words until my neighbour completed the sentence - "so Charlton".

4 - visit today to Ypres and especially to the grave of Gunner Nightingale

5 - not quite so tasty. @HantsAddick and I were the last away from the last coach (at SE7) when after an entirely trouble-free weekend for us all (I hope) I had a minor accident. As we crossed Anchor & Hope Lane to await HA's cab on the other side, I stumbled on the central reservation (who put that thing there?) and went flat on my fat face, half hanging in the other carriageway and thanks to my Parkinson's unable to move. A driver pulled up to ask if I needed help, but before he could do anything a second car stopped, a big black guy called Darren stepped out and then took over. Firstly, with the assistance of Simon the coach driver I was helped to my feet. Then, Darren first took me home to Woolwich, leaving me some food he had just bought for himself, and afterwards took HA back to her flat in SE7. She rang me to say she had left her bag in his car, and sure enough 10 minutes later Darren turned up at my door with the bag. What an absolute saint !! (I have a few grazes and bruises - nothing to worry about.) Sorry for the diversion, but a hefty conclusion to a memorable weekend. I have spent the last two days with many quite remarkable people, not least the last one of all ....

Hope you are over your fall now and how lovely to hear about Darren what a gentleman
  • Options

Yes, it was me. Handed out mugs to people waving banners we made and to some of the locals.

Thanks again.
  • Options

Yes, it was me. Handed out mugs to people waving banners we made and to some of the locals.

Indeed, I have one proudly in my kitchen, and Muttley, you are a top bloke.
  • Options
    Still want to see the photos of the mooning over the RD models head.

I blame the parents.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

It is a retail park, business centre and hotel with a plastic pitch in the middle.

:)

True, and it really looks like it. As I said, he can stick that vision up his effigy. Charlton are worth more than that.
  • Options

Thanks to all guys who organised this spectacular day!
    Great location!
    Great food and drinks!
    Great music!
    And the most important thing...
    Great performance of all !!!

Bad reason to come over,
    but I'm happy to make new friendships!

I honored to be a part in Truiden Sint.

The German Addicks come over next weekend against Walsall and Bradford.
    Hope to see you all again !

Thanks to all guys who organised this spectacular day!
    Great location!
    Great food and drinks!
    Great music!
    And the most important thing...
    Great performance of all !!!

Bad reason to come over,
    but I'm happy to make new friendships!

I honored to be a part in Truiden Sint.

The German Addicks come over next weekend against Walsall and Bradford.
    Hope to see you all again !

It was great to meet you on Saturday and thanks for helping with the effigy.

Come to the Rose of Denmark before the game on Saturday and have a beer or two.
  • Options
    I think @The_President may have already suggested a venue....
  • Options
    I Know that it has been said a lot already but the organisation and planning was top notch, so just wanted to add my thanks to those who clearly put many hours into making the weekend as smooth as possible for us protestors!

Met 3 lots of STVV fans throughout the night, the second lot very generous when it came to getting the beers in, they left for the game but ensured our Jupliers were replelinshed before doing so, very nice fellas. The general consensus from all STVV fans we encountered was that they understand our woes but are very much resigned to Roland’s ownership themselves.

The march was great, can’t really add anymore to what has already been posted above.
    Got back to the hotel and there were still plenty of Charlton fans drinking at the bar.

I think we will see more in the media about our efforts in ST over the coming week.