Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Anyone worked/working in Luxembourg ?

Comments

• Options

Boring v Being out of work- it's a no contest.

I notice there are a few British/Irish pubs there so can't be that bad.

There's a pub called The Britannia out of town at the bottom of the hill. They show the football and other sports. There's an Irish bar a few doors away, too.
    Yeah, the Britannia is a bit of a dump tbh - Manc owner who thinks customer service is being able to get off his arse to serve someone,
    The irish pub is probably The Pyg - not been inside that yet.
  • Options

There's a pub called The Britannia out of town at the bottom of the hill. They show the football and other sports. There's an Irish bar a few doors away, too.
    Yeah, the Britannia is a bit of a dump tbh - Manc owner who thinks customer service is being able to get off his arse to serve someone,
    Is that the pub squirrel face owns?!
  • Options

"Out of town at the bottom of the hill" - sounds like a village in Devon !
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Not as exciting as a village in Devon.
  • Options

• Options
    se9addick said:

Thing is, its in the Town, and at the bottom of a whacking great ravine.
  • Options
    My wife's family live out there and she wants us to move there as healthcare and schools are far better than over here. She has family who work in a bar called The Tube round the corner from the palace.

Maybe I'll have to say hi next time I'm over and you can let me know just what it's like to work over there. I'm somewhat apprehensive about it despite speaking French!
  • Options
    I've been in the Pyg. Was very friendly and welcoming. It was a few years back though. Have you walked around the casemates yet?
  • Options
    Jdredsox said:

My wife's family live out there and she wants us to move there as healthcare and schools are far better than over here. She has family who work in a bar called The Tube round the corner from the palace.

Maybe I'll have to say hi next time I'm over and you can let me know just what it's like to work over there. I'm somewhat apprehensive about it despite speaking French!

I was in The Tube last saturday. !
  • Options
    Stig said:

I've been in the Pyg. Was very friendly and welcoming. It was a few years back though. Have you walked around the casemates yet?

The Casemates is next on the list to do one saturday
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's best at night.
  • Options
    Of what i've seen so far, virually everything is 'better' than UK. Commuting is easy, theres no anti-social behaviour, no aggression,people have respect and seems like no waits at A&E- also noone seems to moan about the country. One example, today, i was waiting to cross the road at a zebra crossing when a school bus went past at slow speed - the kids were all acting well, no bad behaviour - whereas you just know in UK, they would have been pulling wanker signs and mooning at me.
  • Options
    @The_President I'd definitely recommend visiting the casements. Good to hear that the behaviour is good, I'm always half expecting teenagers to misbehave simply because they're teenagers.

I'm trying to find some clubs (games etc) or social events similar to the places I go over here, I think that could be where the quiet reputation comes from as with a small population you don't always find things going on. I know that I've had to catch the train out to Trier before just because that was the closest club for me. Although you are spoilt for choice with the sport. Football, rugby and basketball have a decent following, even if the quality of the games isn't always the highest.
  • Options
    Stu, would you become non-uk tax resident in the year?

Of what i've seen so far, virually everything is 'better' than UK. Commuting is easy, theres no anti-social behaviour, no aggression,people have respect and seems like no waits at A&E- also noone seems to moan about the country. One example, today, i was waiting to cross the road at a zebra crossing when a school bus went past at slow speed - the kids were all acting well, no bad behaviour - whereas you just know in UK, they would have been pulling wanker signs and mooning at me.

This is just you though @The_President, kids round by us don't do wanker signs and moon at me.

Glad to hear you are likening Luxembourg, look forward to hearing more about it over the weekend.
  • Options

Stu, would you become non-uk tax resident in the year?

This is just you though @The_President, kids round by us don't do wanker signs and moon at me.

Glad to hear you are likening Luxembourg, look forward to hearing more about it over the weekend.
    Not sure mate - but tell you more about it over the weekend.
  • Options

One example, today, i was waiting to cross the road at a zebra crossing when a school bus went past at slow speed - the kids were all acting well, no bad behaviour - whereas you just know in UK, they would have been pulling wanker signs and mooning at me.

I presume your exaggerating for comedic effect ?
  • Options

In Bexleyheath it's the teachers that do that!
  • Options
    Bump, just in case anyone has come to Lux in the three months I've been here.
  • Options

Bump, just in case anyone has come to Lux in the three months I've been here.

How are you finding it? My three week stint there a few years back was dull to say the least, but I'm sure I didn't explore it properly.
  • Options
    BoC - its great. Very smart, clean city with an old part which is very picturesque - no doubt you explored The Grund in your 3 weeks - its certainly far from 'dull' - this place is full of life if you know where to find it , for example, you can be drinking at 5am listening to some live music in the old city if you want, there are the usual expat bars too . Plus its a very safe city , you wont find bouncers on the door of any establishment.
    Only downside i'm finding right now is the paucity of reasonably priced accommodation and the greed of Estate agents - for example, over here for 1000 euros you will get a room with own bathroom, but you have to pay, up front, 3 months rent PLUS the agents fee, which is normally the equivalent of another months rent, so, in total, you have to find 4000 Euros - madness.
    However, apart from that its going well, people are great, the job is not quite leading edge but, cant odds that,
    my French is improving and i'm starting to find my feet around the city.
    All-in-all, a good move.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Luxembourg calling....again.
    Surely i'm not the only Addick out here?

Nope, you are the second one!

I have been here on and off for about 40 years!

I feel a drink or two coming on.

• Options

Very popular with a certain type of rugby crowd.
  • Options
    Whereabouts are you in Lux Stuart?
  • Options
    I live in Moutfort and work for Mercedes-Benz in Hollerich (opposite the International School).
  • Options
    OK, I don't know Moutfort and I've only heard of Hollerich, but i've checked them out on Google Maps.

So, as you say, sounds like a pint in The White Rose could be in order ?!
  • Options
    I'm living in Senningerberg at the moment, and work in Place de L'Etoile close to the Stade/Glacis.
  • Options
    You are right about one thing: property and rents in Luxembourg are horrendously expensive.

Be happy to meet up some time for a beer.
  • Options
    ok, next step in the Lux adventure starts today - been living in a Hotel for past 5 months (who have been wonderful to me, including negotiating a 1 month deal for 36 eur a night !) and today i move into my own apartment in a small town called Bertrange, a bit closer to work. i've this week completed my first 6 months working for the company , and they are now talking to me about re-newing for another year - so, looks like i could well be here til end 2018 at least.
    Really enjoying Luxembourg, anybody who thinks its dull clearly never got out ! The people are just sooo friendly, and the work is relaxed , even sending me to th office in Geneva regularly. Learning French is a bit of a struggle, but its improving.Looking to go to Evening classes starting next month.
    FC Strassen is around the corner from my place so will be looking to go see them at some stage.
  • Options
    Good mate glad you're liking it.