Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Scunthorpe | Sat 21 Jan | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Scunthorpe United
Saturday 21st January 2017 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Brendan Malone (Wiltshire)

Introduction

For the third league game on the trot football remains at the Valley this Saturday as we play host to one of the now favourites for promotion; Scunthorpe United… Since the turn of the year the Addicks have marked a slight improvement with four points being deserved in our last two games.

Beginning with the Millwall game last Saturday we’ve entered a brief, tough period in the fixture list as on consecutive weekends we play sides vying for automatic promotion… Karl Robinson last week said that the Play-Off sides will be waiting for a Charlton charge, another four points in our next two games and that charge may well be cantering into life.

The Opposition
Name: Scunthorpe United | Manager: Graham Alexander
Ground: Glanford Park

Like the Milton Keynes Dons; our opponents this Saturday are no strangers this season… Having faced the Iron in a League AND Cup fixture already this season, our scouting team must have had the week off – Our season against Scunthorpe began in September with a trip to Lincolnshire, a 0-0 draw was played out that day with many believing that an opportunity to pick up three points had been missed…

The second encounter saw Graham Alexander bringing his side to the Valley and in an FA Cup tie; Ademola Lookman showed just why he would be leaving this month by running riot and being the main influence in what was a 3-1 victory… Naturally we didn’t earn any points from that run out at the Valley, yet a repeat performance this Saturday will certainly be welcomed.

Charlton Team News
This Saturday will certainly see a much changed Addicks line-up… Our fixture against Millwall didn’t get off to the greatest of starts when we lost Josh Magennis (likely to be out for a month), that start got even worse when we then lost Lewis Page (likely to be out for six weeks). In addition Jorge Teixeira will be serving a one game suspension after earning a late red card.

Straight away we can expect to see changes in those two positions with Jay DaSilva our young loanee from Chelsea potentially coming into the squad; Patrick Bauer will hopefully be fit after needing treatment at the end of the Millwall match, if so you’d expect Ezri Konsa to drop back into Defence with Jake Forster-Caskey making his debut for the Addicks…

Rudd
Solly | Konsa | Bauer | Chicksen
Forster-Caskey | Crofts
Byrne | Aribo | Holmes
Watt

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Johnson | DaSilva | Jackson | Ulvestad | Ajose | Novak

Prediction
Scunthorpe coming to town will be a stern test for Karl Robinson and his side yet we’ve already beaten the Iron at the Valley this season so there is no reason why we can’t do that again… the Iron have an impressive home record which dates back in the League to the end of 2015 yet away from home the Iron have lost on four occasions, let’s make it five!!

Comments

• Options
    That looks a decent team, but the lack of height is a problem from set pieces.
  • Options
    Still not convinced by what we have to offer. I reckon a good performance but in the end a disappointing draw...

1-1

We ain't going anywhere this year!
  • Options
    Bauer definitely out; Johnson and Konsa at CB's.
  • Options
    KR says Magennis out for 4 weeks, but could be 6 or 7...
  • Options
    Djiksteel to be sub CB.
  • Options
    With Johnson and Konsa at the back, I expect the worse. I don't think we will be able to cope with their front two.
  • Options
    I would not like Watt to start up front. We need a striker to play.

Ajose at least gets in the box and there were a couple of decent balls into the box Saturday, and Watt was hanging around in midfield like the number 10 he probably is. If not him, then maybe a kid from the under 23 team. At least they should have some confidence and I would certainly have one at least on the bench.

Boy we have a very sort side. Corners are going to be even harder to defend.
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:

Bauer definitely out; Johnson and Konsa at CB's.

Pedro45 said:

Djiksteel to be sub CB.

Interesting... Where is this from?
  • Options
    Robinson said it on his press day. He had trouble pronouncing his name.
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

Did he call him Woger?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

dickplumb said:

Did he call him Woger?
    Well it started with a W and ended with an R, but I think the middle letters were changed a bit...
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

I thought Karl was easy to pronounce
  • Options
    I think watt leading the line from the start would be a risk. I think he is more suited to the 10 role or playing off a front man.

Him leading the line, he likes to drop deep and collect the ball and make runs across the centre backs to try and drag one out of position. There is no point him doing that if no one is leading the line. So I would start Novak if at all possible failing that Hanlan. They are the right type of player to lead the line. If we don't think that's enough of a goal threat then I would also play Watt behind him. Or have Watt come on for the last 30 mins.
  • Options
    Lump on Scunny to win.
  • Options
    Cant see a win here.

I would take a point.

Agree we are going now where this season, squad has no balance. It's getting there, but won't happen this season.
  • Options
    1-2 defeat.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    @ForeverAddickted Sterling work as ever, but I must take issue with this "we’ve already beaten the Iron at the Valley this season so there is no reason why we can’t do that again". There are three very good reasons - Lookman's left, Big Mag is out injured, and we don't have a striker suitable for playing the one up front role.
  • Options
    Depleted squad, low expectations. Unexpected 2-1 win for us
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Rudd
    Solly | Konsa | Johnson| Chicksen
    Forster-Caskey | Crofts
    Byrne | Aribo | Holmes
    Novak
  • Options

@ForeverAddickted Sterling work as ever, but I must take issue with this "we’ve already beaten the Iron at the Valley this season so there is no reason why we can’t do that again". There are three very good reasons - Lookman's left, Big Mag is out injured, and we don't have a striker suitable for playing the one up front role.

Josh didnt score against Scunthorpe in the Cup though; nor did we miss Lookman against Bristol Rovers (we missed him against Millwall but dont think Lookie would have been suited to the tactics from that match anyway)

Your right though; with the one up top approach and with Josh injured, it does leave me wondering where the goals will come from
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bauer is injured
  • Options
    Rudd
    Solly
    Konsa
    Johnson
    Chicksen
    Forster-Caskey
    Crofts
    Byrne
    Aribo
    Holmes
    Novak

Subs Phillips, Djiksteel, Jackson, Dasilva, Watt, Hanlan, Aherne-Grant,
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:

Rudd
    Solly
    Konsa
    Johnson
    Chicksen
    Forster-Caskey
    Crofts
    Byrne
    Aribo
    Holmes
    Novak

Subs Phillips, Djiksteel, Jackson, Dasilva, Watt, Hanlan, Aherne-Grant,

Spot on what I'd do. Except possibly Ulvestad on the bench ahead of KAG.

I'd like to bring Watt on for Aribo for the last 20 to run at their defense. And I'd try and get Jacko on too so we have an extra aerial threat from set plays.

That's assuming we aren't already 3 up by then...
  • Options
    Jackson will not be on the bench. Ulvestad will. Ajose instead of Ahearne Grant.. Watt will be in the starting eleven. Novak is not fit enough.
  • Options
    Terrific preview .. IF both Magennis and Bauer are injured, as well as Tex's suspension, that leaves us short in two vital areas ..
    Magennis's absence shows how we lack experience and cover in attack .. BUT Robinson needs to start winning these games and should select both Watt and Ajose from the start .. Watt alone up front would be up against a brick wall .. even though Scunny have the excellent Mirfin injured, Wallace and Goode are very quick and ruthless defenders.

In defence, Johnson has to play and IF he does, I hope that the 'fans' do not boo when his name is called over the tannoy, that would do wonders for team morale (NOT)..

Scunny is a very quick and pacy outfit and are super in midfield .. Morris, who leads the division in both goals scored and assists (why can't we find a bargain like that) and Dawson both work really hard in attack and defence .. both full backs like to get forward and both are very quick and can cross for the dangerous Madden or whoever is selected up front .. Scunthorpe have made some shrewd signings so far in 'the window' .. Davies, Toney and Crooks are all very handy, their squad looks very strong now

Having written all that, I reckon we can get a win here, or at least a point .. no logic, just a gut feeling that we are due for a big win .. presuming Magennis and Bauer are out we should start with :smile ..

Rudd ..
    Solly, Johnson, Konsa, Chicksen ....
    Forster-Caskey, Crofts ....
    Holmes, Aribo ....
    Watt, Ajose

CAFC 3 v Scunthorpe United 2
  • Options
    I thought we could have won up at theirs, played well, add in the cup and I'm telling myself we are their bogey team, so without thinking to much about lineups it's a home win for me, 2-1.
  • Options
    KR said Watt played 80 minutes last Saturday and is no way ready to play 90 minutes, KR said Watt can now beat him in training, which does not say much. It sounds to me like he should not be expected to play for more than an hour, if so, do you start with him and hope you get no injuries (unlikely with us), or bring him on as sub in the second half. Does he go back to 4-4-2 and start with Ajose and Novak. My team is same as Lincsaddick except for Watt.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Holmes & Watt won't be anywhere near fit enough to start: 70th minute impact subs at best. They won't risk KAG and Ulvetad starting together against one of the best defences in L1, so Ajose's gonna have to put in a shift (unless he's already halfway back down the M4). I reckon we'll score, but I can only see one result: 1-3

Rudd
    Solly : Johnson : Konsa : Chicksen
    Forster-Caskey : Crofts : Byrne
    Aribo : Ulverstad : Ajose

Subs: Phillips : Djiksteel : KAG : Watt : Holmes : Hanlan : Novak

A toss up between an unfit Novak on the bench, or a green around the gills Dasilva - either way, we're down to the bare bones.

PS thanks @ForeverAddickted for the great preview
  • Options
    Comfortable home win 4-0.