Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Robinson & Dele Alli - Third Party "Ownership"?

WSSWSS
edited January 2017 in General Charlton
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4133890/Dele-Alli-s-agent-hit-2m-tax-bill.html#ixzz4WC9GLMzp

"There is no suggestion of any wrongdoing, neither does there appear to be any breach under FA regulations regarding 'restriction on conflict of interest', though the position is not totally clear. MK Dons declined to comment. Robinson was unavailable."

Unavailable for the media? First for everything.

Comments

• Options
    WSS said:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4133890/Dele-Alli-s-agent-hit-2m-tax-bill.html#ixzz4WC9GLMzp

"There is no suggestion of any wrongdoing, neither does there appear to be any breach under FA regulations regarding 'restriction on conflict of interest', though the position is not totally clear. MK Dons declined to comment. Robinson was unavailable."

Unavailable for the media? First for everything.

lol, aint that the truth.
  • Options
    It sounds similar to big Sam getting his player's to join his son's agency. Nothing illegal but surely players trust their managers and youngsters would have gone with it purely on the managers say.

Seems like it could be deemed a conflict of interests
  • Options
    No surprise. Role at Charlton to play youngsters, build them up in press and sell them. Football results secondary. Piece of shit.
  • Options
    So people involved with player churn are getting a cut of the money sloshing around. Not just the player, the club and the agent, but others advising on their more close up development.
    Explains a lot that has happened recently.
    What car does Thomas Driesen drive?
  • Options

It's a conflict of interest surely. If Alli is at MK, Robinson is manager, it's in his interests to play him every game and to get him pay rises, to talk him up as a future Premier League player etc. It's very shady.

Dario did it at Crewe for decades!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    bobmunro said:

It's a conflict of interest surely. If Alli is at MK, Robinson is manager, it's in his interests to play him every game and to get him pay rises, to talk him up as a future Premier League player etc. It's very shady.

Doesn't make it right.
  • Options

I would be quite angry if I thought the manager of Charlton Athletic would make a personal gain by flogging our youth players.. More so than knowing the regime are banking on the profit to be quite honest.

It's within the interests of the ownership to have a competitive team, but also to make a profit for reinvestment into that team; at least in an ordinary club. Whilst the manager - in my opinion - should concern himself with the first objective only: having the best players, picking the best players and keeping the best players.

I'm beginning to warm to Karl, but this isn't the best news I've heard about him. Essentially it suggests his team selection was compromised, and his loyalty to the fans - and his duty of keeping and playing the best players - was compromised.

He got lucky, Alli is a great player. However what if he ended up a flop? Would Robinson have continued to put him in the shop window? Did he hedge the risk by investing in other players too?
  • Options
    Following some of the recorded interviews that the Telegraph showed around the time of Big Sam'r revelations I suspect that this sort of thing is rife within football.

I don't want to sound rude or elitist but Football is now a super rich industry and the main players in it are, on the whole, less well educated and have never worked in any other industry so have little knowledge the types of integrity that the rest of us take for granted.

Someone like KR (not, necessarily him) can probably earn more from being a little bit 'clever' that he would earn in his whole career - assuming that he doesn't make it to the top of the Championship or the Premier League. Why wouldn't a manager on £50k a year, on a short contract, help a young player to further his career if there's potentially a few hundred grand in it for him.

In the case of Dele Alli the boy is so, outrageously, talented that no one can ever accuse KR of playing him when he shouldn't have done. He is likely to go on to be one of the best English players of his generation and he's most pf the way there already and he's only 20. I can only imagine how fantastic he looked in the league of cloggers that we are currently part of.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Curb_It said:

It's f@@cking outrageous that is what it is.

If Robinson is on a percentage of the youth we sell, well then / well words fail me.

The souths answer to Crewe. It's absolute shit.

Crewe Alexandra FC, or CAFC ? No similarities whatsoever...
  • Options
    A lot of Dowie's signings were with the same agent. Just a coincidence I'm sure.

The family of a now departed head of the Academy were agents. Just a coincidence I'm sure.
  • Options
    So, just for the record, there is absolutely no form of third party ownership going on here, is there?
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

So, just for the record, there is absolutely no form of third party ownership going on here, is there?

Not that I can see.

There might, just might, have been a conflict of interest while Alli was both managed by KR and represented by a firm in which KR had shares but its not clear.

Alli is clearly a very good player and would have moved to the premiership regardless of KR talking him up or who his agent was. The question is whether KR always acted in the best interest of his employer, MK Dons, or whether his behaviour was influenced by a potential benefit from Impact sports. The article raises that question but doesn't answer it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

bobmunro said:

Doesn't make it right.
    No it doesn't make it right, although Dario doing it openly for years (not as an agent but as a director of the club where he benefited financially from player sales) would tend to indicate it isn't against any rules.
  • Options
    'Arry was doing it for years. (Allegedly)
  • Options
    seth plum said:

It is press day today.
    Do any of our local press people have the inclination to ask Karl Robinson plainly if he has any conflict of interest regarding our players, either directly or through associates.

Good luck with that one!
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

Doesn't make it right.
    No it doesn't make it right, although Dario doing it openly for years (not as an agent but as a director of the club where he benefited financially from player sales) would tend to indicate it isn't against any rules.
    That was out in the open and part of his contract of employment. As it was the model that Crewe used it made sense to incentivise the manager to follow the model. As far as i know Dario wasn't also gaining a benefit from an agency.
  • Options

A lot of Dowie's signings were with the same agent. Just a coincidence I'm sure.

The family of a now departed head of the Academy were agents. Just a coincidence I'm sure.

Slightly different as they cannot put them in the shop window first team regardless of how deserving they are of a place in the team
  • Options
    Scouser in up to no good shocker!
  • Options

Slightly different as they cannot put them in the shop window first team regardless of how deserving they are of a place in the team
    but they can decide whether to offer them new contracts or not/tell the first team manager how good they are.

A huge conflict of interest if correct.
  • Options
    "An annual return filed by ISM to Companies House in January 2015 does not have Robinson listed as a shareholder. But in an annual return filed on July 7, 2015, he is listed as a shareholder."

I would assume he's not doing anything wrong as none of their players play for Charlton and he wasn't a shareholder when Alli signed for Tottenham (Feb 2nd, 2015). Whether or not he was in contact with this company before Feb 2nd is obviously the contentious issue.

He could've easily met with companies in January looking to come onboard with the view that he'd sell Alli and make a gain from it through them. But told them that he was not to be formally part of the company until the summer.

I reckon there's loads of ways managers get around the third party ownership rules. For me, I'd say that no one currently involved in football should have a financial interest in a company like this.
  • Options
    edited January 2017

bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

Doesn't make it right.
    That was out in the open and part of his contract of employment. As it was the model that Crewe used it made sense to incentivise the manager to follow the model. As far as i know Dario wasn't also gaining a benefit from an agency.
    Both DG and KR were acting as the players' Manager/Coach - both gained financially from developing. playing and eventually selling the players (DG as part of his ownership of the club and the consequent remuneration and KR as part of the company acting as the players' agent) - both shared the same conflict of interest.

Not identical, I agree, but I'm sure you can see the similarities, Henners.

A huge difference of course would be if MK Dons were not aware (or it was kept from them) of KR's involvement with the agent. Not sure that has been intimated unless I've missed something.