Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Parkrun

2»

Comments

• Options
    rina said:

until NYE I hadn't run one in 4 months due to a hernia but I'm now on 167 park runs at 78 different venues. probably try to get up to 100 different ones by the end of the year

Any venues that standout Rina?
  • Options
    kimbo said:

I would like to do it but too scared as I don't run. Could jog a little. Shame the Greenwich one isnt in Greenwich park

Unfortunately, I think Royal Parks make too much out of hiring the park out for commercial runs to allow a Parkrun on their turf. (The Hilly Fields one is nearer Greenwich Park than Avery Hill is!)
  • Options
    ChiAddick said:

rina said:

until NYE I hadn't run one in 4 months due to a hernia but I'm now on 167 park runs at 78 different venues. probably try to get up to 100 different ones by the end of the year

Faves

overall- forest of dean, a supremely complicated route in a gorgeous forest
    in london- Northala fields, round the hills that they made from the old wembley rubble
    nearish the Valley- shorne woods, a lovely run in the woods
    for speed- burgess (near elephant and castle), one I'm planning on going back to when fit to have a crack at a sub 19 minute run

and special mention to Tring, the hardest I have done but a lovely place

• Options

kimbo said:

I would like to do it but too scared as I don't run. Could jog a little. Shame the Greenwich one isnt in Greenwich park

Unfortunately, I think Royal Parks make too much out of hiring the park out for commercial runs to allow a Parkrun on their turf. (The Hilly Fields one is nearer Greenwich Park than Avery Hill is!)
    Yep, no chance in the Royal parks, as the Inspector says, they charge a fortune, and Parkrun won't change
  • Options
    little stoke parkrun closed down a few months ago when stoke gifford council tried to charge for use of the park

parkrun don't negotiate with terrorists
  • Options
    I've done a few of these, really great events and open to all abilities. Need to get back, my aim was to go sub 20:00 but the tendons in my knees wake me up with a lovely burning sensation if I run too fast. Anyone who runs regularly got anything good to stop your knees hurting so much?!?
  • Options
    Used to do the Whitstable one now and again, nice route along the seafront too.

Haven't got one that close now unfortunately.
  • Options
    Rothko said:

kimbo said:

Yep, no chance in the Royal parks, as the Inspector says, they charge a fortune, and Parkrun won't change
    It started in Bushy, and there's also one in Richmond Park. Both Royal parks.
  • Options
    I do the Kapiti one sometimes...it ain't in SE London but it is 5kms. Good stuff.
  • Options

I've done a few of these, really great events and open to all abilities. Need to get back, my aim was to go sub 20:00 but the tendons in my knees wake me up with a lovely burning sensation if I run too fast. Anyone who runs regularly got anything good to stop your knees hurting so much?!?

I have a history of knee problems after ACL reconstruction. Increasing my cadence to 170 spm has made a massive difference to my comfort - each stride results in a gentler impact as a result. Feels extremely unnatural at first, but you soon get used to it. My only other bit of advice would be to not go too hard in your training runs. You only really need to go for it on race day or when you're doing a hardcore interval session (which shouldn't constitute a large part of your training program if you want to stay injury free anyway).

My goal is also a 19:59 5k. My PB is down to 20:15 now so only 16 seconds to go!

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    kimbo said:

Kimbo, please don't be scared. If you get yourself along to Avery Hill I guarantee you'll get great support. You don't have to run all of it just pace yourself and rest when you want to. Everybody has to start somewhere and a lot of first timers have sprinted through the finishing line at Avery Hill Park. It's a great motivator first time you do.

• Options
    rina said:

ChiAddick said:

rina said:

Faves

in london- Northala fields, round the hills that they made from the old wembley rubble
    for speed- burgess (near elephant and castle), one I'm planning on going back to when fit to have a crack at a sub 19 minute run

Next time you are in the Forest come and try ours @ Newent Rina :smile:
  • Options

rina said:

ChiAddick said:

rina said:

Faves

Next time you are in the Forest come and try ours @ Newent Rina :smile:
    I think that was my second choice but FOD was easier to get to from Ross on Wye
  • Options
    I've done 40 plus of these, and 15 different locations. Can't recommend it enough for getting people off of the couch, and really inclusive. For a little challenge, why not try Lullingstone, near Eynsford... Normally a smaller crowd and bloody challenging inclines.
  • Options
    lo fi said:

I've done 40 plus of these, and 15 different locations. Can't recommend it enough for getting people off of the couch, and really inclusive. For a little challenge, why not try Lullingstone, near Eynsford... Normally a smaller crowd and bloody challenging inclines.

Been thinking of doing this one soon myself, I live only 10 minutes away.
  • Options

its my target to get myself fit enough to do one of these 5k park runs by the end of Feb. Will be either Avery Hill or Danson.

Drove past Danson last month and couldn't believe the amount of people doing it. Great concept

Smudge let me know when you are doing it, if I can continue with the running would be interested in giving it a go with you.
  • Options
    Deal
  • Options
    If you do Avery Hill Park I understand they have some pacers, so you can just get in behind them and try for the time you're aiming at.

• Options
    Yea, did Tonbridge. Very icy, but felt good. Guilt free weekend now.