Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

James Bowers

edited January 2017 in Not Sports Related
As you may remember that horrible night when our Twitter feed read "One of our Upbeats is missing" not the first time the first time the Upbeats have had me in tears, but as a parent now grandparent I cannot imagine anything so frightening as a missing child.
As we all know James was found, cold but safe and spent Christmas at home. Just to let James and his family know he was in our thoughts then as he is now Charltonlife sent him a small Christmas gift.
Please see attached picture.image

Comments

• Options
    A lovely gesture from CL. Thanks for sharing @TCE
  • Options
    Hope whatever happened doesn't happen again. Top effort with the gift.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    TCE must be commended for his generosity. Proud to have played a small part in this.
  • Options
    Great stuff, guys & especially T.C.E.

The lads will always have a special place in our hearts.
  • Options
    Lovely story with a happy ending after James was found. Well done Ray and Charlton Life.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    I got the message below from Jackie (James' Mum) yesterday:

We are so blessed to have the Charlton Upbeats running , they absolutely love it. We have very little out there for our children that is run all year around, and some travel from as far as Tonbridge, Romford,Peckham, Shirley, Croydon, and they rarely miss a Saturday. The staff are fantastic, they know how they all tick! It would be lovely to thank them as they are the unsung heroes!

Many thanks again for everything, I still having got over James going missing for so long, I am so grateful to the lovely lad who was also 19 who stopped in his car and raised the alarm. As you know it was a cold foggy night, it was only for social media that the person stopped. We visited the young man and brought him gifts, he only lives in West Wickham, how lucky was we he checked his Twitter or what ever it's called.

James has a heart condition and doesn't cope with the cold, he uses-sign language to me, he said freezing, scared and worried, so he won't forget that too quickly.

Happy, Healthly New Year to you all.

I think it sums up how much being part of the Upbeats means to those involved, Life isn't just about surviving but fulfilment and challenge. I think the Upbeats is one of the most important schemes going anywhere for that reason and the concept needs to grow within football as much as it can. I'd love to see when weather/pitch conditions allow an Upbeats match at half time. I think how special it would be to these lads playing in front of a cheering crowd.

• Options
    Nice one
  • Options
    My heart swells with pride when I think of the Upbeats and those that make it happen. Part of the amazing 'family' that makes our club truly the best there is.

Well done, Ray - it's plain to see what it meant to James.
  • Options
    Very very special people, being looked after by very very special people......who could ask for more.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Tell you what - We still have a few of the 50 limited edition prints left. I'll dontate one for auction - proceeds to the Upbeats - winner pays their just giving site and I send them the print: https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/TheCharltonUpbeats. Let's say the auction closes at 12pm on Saturday night. Retail price is £44.95 -It is signed and numbered by the artist.

Limited Edition – Triple framed ‘1998 Play-Off Final Heroes’ picture (with background)
    http://novoprint.co.uk/shop/charlton-athletic/charlton-play-off-heroes-limited-edition-framed-picture-colour-background/
  • Options
    Wasn't sure whether to share at the time, but we (CL) received a really nice email from James' mum last month thanking us for helping get such social media awareness out there that night.

It was down to the awareness gaining traction that James was found, and given his communication difficulties and the cold last night, this could have been extremely serious. Thank god that never happened.