Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

tribute bands

Comments

• Options
    In the early nineties I saw a band at the old Oval Rock House on the Dereham Road in Norwich, went with a few mates from uni. One of them had heard that an Iron Maiden tribute band were playing one night got us tickets.

When the band came on stage we realised it wasn't a tribute band after all.

It was Iron Maiden playing a warm-up gig for the Donington Monsters of Rock festival.
  • Options
    Every year we go to Malvern Theatre to see 'Talon', an Eagles tribute band and every year they sell out. Really authentic and I just love The Eagles music.
  • Options

Saw a Genesis tribute act at the Mick Jagger Centre a few year ago. It was the early post Gabriel wind and wuthering/trick of the tail stuff. They looked like genesis and the singer in particular had all the Collins mannerisms down to a tee. Got the songs note for note too. I thought it was effing boring and left half way through.

• Options
    Another decent band is the Kast off Kinks. Apart from the singer, they're all ex members of The Kinks, although Mick Avory (the drummer) is the only original member. Have seen them a couple of times locally and are excellent.

There is also a Small Faces tribute band called The Small Fakers. They used to do 3 sets, one as the SF's one as Humble Pie and another as The Faces. Think they've dropped the Humble Pie section now, which is a shame but are weel worth seeing. They're playing at The Beaverwood some time in April this year.
  • Options
    Acquired taste I know, but Speak and Spell are a top Depeche Mode tribute act.

Doing a few gigs this year (Putney, Bedford, Worthing, O2 Islington) and are the perfect warm up prior to Depeche playing London Stadium on June 3rd.

http://www.depechemodetribute.co.uk

• Options
    I don't get "tribute" bands.

If you missed the actual band because you are too young/weren't that interested at the time etc well that's life. Stick the CD on.

Plenty of actual bands to go and see.

• Options
    bbob said:

If you missed the actual band because you are too young/weren't that interested at the time etc well that's life. Stick the CD on.

To be fair it's probably a bit boring dancing and singing along with your favourite artist to an inanimate CD player in your front room, however inebriated you are, when you can do so live to the next best thing.

It's not as if those great acts that have sadly left this mortal coil are going to have one last comeback tour is it?
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Seen several Jam tributes over the years.

No Way Sis were quite funny when I saw them.

Used to go to some pub think in Putney that used to have tribute bands on most weekends but this was years ago.

From The Jam are pretty good.
  • Options

bbob said:

To be fair it's probably a bit boring dancing and singing along with your favourite artist to an inanimate CD player in your front room, however inebriated you are, when you can do so live to the next best thing.

It's not as if those great acts that have sadly left this mortal coil are going to have one last comeback tour is it?
    Sadly not
  • Options
    bbob said:

This, its not for me......
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    There's been a few attempts by past members of Dire Straits, principally Alan Clark led, to cash in on the name and play all the old straits stuff. It would be fine if they just behaved like a tribute band but they call themselves things like "the Straits" and "Dire Straits legends". Only problem is that Knopfler will have nothing to do with it and they've all had a bit of a fall out. Bless.
  • Options
    edited January 2017

There's been a few attempts by past members of Dire Straits, principally Alan Clark led, to cash in on the name and play all the old straits stuff. It would be fine if they just behaved like a tribute band but they call themselves things like "the Straits" and "Dire Straits legends". Only problem is that Knopfler will have nothing to do with it and they've all had a bit of a fall out. Bless.

I suppose you can't really blame them. Knopfler's amassed a fortune during and after his time with the band and whilst they're probably not short of a few quid, won't have anywhere near that much.
  • Options
    bbob said:

Every orchestra round the world is a kind of tribute band, playing the music of Mozart, Beethoven, Debussy and many others. The same will happen with other great (and less great) musicians like Miles Davis, Pink Floyd and David Bowie. Nothing wrong with good live music from the past, especially when you don't like what's on offer today.

• Options
    Greenie said:

bbob said:

This, its not for me......
    Me neither, though there is also an element nowadays of bands being tributes to themselves (playing an early album through as a special, for example).

But the truth is most people stop developing an interest in new music after they are in their mid 20s. You run out of time and can't go and explore new music and don't want to spend a lot of money on something you've no idea about. But... a good performance of music you know and like could be a winner. Most of the musicians in these bands will be good and enthusiastic about the artist they are covering.
    I'd still rather see someone doing something new or original, but each to their own.
  • Options
    Been with Saga Lout a few times to see tribute bands at the Beaverwood, and yes 'Limehouse Lizzy' were excellent, and a few of the Led Zep bands did a great job. Seen Sinnerboy there: Rory Gallagher, as well as Joanna Shaw Taylor, and the excellent Larry Miller. Saw one of the last performances of Reg Isadore with his brother, that was a storming gig, played a mixture of Robin Trower and Hendrix.
    As I have moved, I will have to go down to Broadstairs Margate this summer as one of mates helps organise those events. Love live music, hope to go to Germany in the future and see Randy Hansen, the Hendrix best tribute act, and of course Ireland to see the annual Rory Gallagher festival.
  • Options

Been with Saga Lout a few times to see tribute bands at the Beaverwood, and yes 'Limehouse Lizzy' were excellent, and a few of the Led Zep bands did a great job. Seen Sinnerboy there: Rory Gallagher, as well as Joanna Shaw Taylor, and the excellent Larry Miller. Saw one of the last performances of Reg Isadore with his brother, that was a storming gig, played a mixture of Robin Trower and Hendrix.
    As I have moved, I will have to go down to Broadstairs Margate this summer as one of mates helps organise those events. Love live music, hope to go to Germany in the future and see Randy Hansen, the Hendrix best tribute act, and of course Ireland to see the annual Rory Gallagher festival.

monster band .. Trower, James Dewar and Isadore .. saw Trower last year .. still in VERY good form
  • Options
    Was that at Brighton?, I was due to go to see him there but with the move, well it never happened. Not sure he will tour here again, although he plays very frequently in the states, and does another tour there May\June of this year. Fear he may be one that got away mate!
  • Options
    I saw a pink floyd tribute band in the Pie and Kilderkin in Forest Hill back in the late 90's. the bird that sang the great gig in the sky was excellent. Not sure whether the band were an early Brit Pink Floyd but I did meet her again singing in a another band in the Herbert where she sang it again.

Keep Music Live!
  • Options
    edited January 2017

Was that at Brighton?, I was due to go to see him there but with the move, well it never happened. Not sure he will tour here again, although he plays very frequently in the states, and does another tour there May\June of this year. Fear he may be one that got away mate!

no .. at the Picturedrome Holmfirth in the Pennine foothills/last of the summer wine country .. seen some good bands there from time to time .. bit of a hike from Kent though ((:>) .. bit of a hike from Grimsby come to that
    I think Trower's about more than you think, does a few quite small venues .. keep an eye on his website
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    After months of waiting , tonight's the night for my Australian Pink Floyd show at MK theatre, whatever your taste in music you can't beat a live show.
  • Options
    The Paul Weller Experience, who used to play The Venue were shit hot. I'm not sure if they're still going, but I'm pretty sure I've seen their bass player, playing for Robbie Williams, among others, in the past
  • Options

After months of waiting , tonight's the night for my Australian Pink Floyd show at MK theatre, whatever your taste in music you can't beat a live show.

Enjoy - they really are top musicians.

I'm seeing them next Sunday at the Liverpool Echo with my eldest.
  • Options
    Thanks Bob, first large ish show since my illness and I'm really gonna enjoy.
  • Options

The Paul Weller Experience, who used to play The Venue were shit hot. I'm not sure if they're still going, but I'm pretty sure I've seen their bass player, playing for Robbie Williams, among others, in the past

J
  • Options

Saw them there a couple of times, they were very good.
  • Options
    BM I had a fantastic night , hope your night goes as well as ours.
  • Options

BM I had a fantastic night , hope your night goes as well as ours.

Very pleased to hear it. The Aussies never let you down.
  • Options
    Saw Aussie Floyd at the Liverpool Echo last night - utterly superb. It was a Christmas present from last year from my eldest - he got a VIP package bless him so we met the band and had front row and centre seats.
  • Options
    Glad to hear you had a great night , your lucky bob my lad would need a hefty bung to go with me to the show.