Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton FA Cup Classics

On BT Sport 2 tonight at 7pm........Charlton v Ipswich 1983
One of my top five Charlton matches I've been too and am interested to see if my memory is correct as I believed we was robbed this day against one of the best teams of that era.My memories are of my hero Derek Hales and a dodgy penalty or free kick to Ipswich and there winning goal well into injury time?

Comments

• Options
    Yes, the pen was one of Eric Gates finest dives, from well outside the box into it. Simmo was fantastic in the first half. Ipswich were a very good team then - Wark, Mariner, Brazil, Gates, Butcher, Osman, Mills, Burley - though I can't remember if they all played that day.
  • Options
    I was recovering from having my appendix removed and wasn't allowed to go to this, I was devastated
  • Options
    Think this was my first ever FA Cup match
  • Options

One of my top five Charlton matches I've been too and am interested to see if my memory is correct as I believed we was robbed this day against one of the best teams of that era.My memories are of my hero Derek Hales and a dodgy penalty or free kick to Ipswich and there winning goal well into injury time?

My 3rd or 4th Charlton game and I think still the best game I have ever seen. The highlights package doesn't do the game full justice and I'm sure a few of Nicky Johns' saves aren't in it.

Today, if we lost from a two goal lead, there would be all sorts of abuse but they were different times when players were generally left alone.

Proper goal nets, wingers that ran with ball on the outside (watch Martin Robinson go...) a bit of mud, slightly heavier ball, a few thumping tackles (Butcher on Simonsen) and a sense of great importance attached to The FA Cup. We lost that day but it was a performance that left us with a real sense of pride.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Simonsen said:

My 3rd or 4th Charlton game and I think still the best game I have ever seen. The highlights package doesn't do the game full justice and I'm sure a few of Nicky Johns' saves aren't in it.

Today, if we lost from a two goal lead, there would be all sorts of abuse but they were different times when players were generally left alone.

Proper goal nets, wingers that ran with ball on the outside (watch Martin Robinson go...) a bit of mud, slightly heavier ball, a few thumping tackles (Butcher on Simonsen) and a sense of great importance attached to The FA Cup. We lost that day but it was a performance that left us with a real sense of pride.
    I read the bit in bold in this guy's voice.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Pedro45 said:

Yes, the pen was one of Eric Gates finest dives, from well outside the box into it. Simmo was fantastic in the first half. Ipswich were a very good team then - Wark, Mariner, Brazil, Gates, Butcher, Osman, Mills, Burley - though I can't remember if they all played that day.

Think Wark, Brazil, Gates, Butcher, Osman & Mariner played but also think this was just after Ipswich were top top notch. Sivell was in goal and there were a couple of lesser knowns playing (possibly Steggles and Yallop). They were still very good though.
  • Options

Simonsen said:

I read the bit in bold in this guy's voice.

He's based on Alec Stock apparently. Another great football man....one of the true characters.
  • Options
    Not going to be the longest of threads, this one!
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:

Les Berry made up so much ground to catch Gates too!

We deserved a replay at the very least that day but that said it was a cup tie we turned up to!

Can't say that too often these days.
  • Options
    never a pen - at least a yard outside the box - but in those days the refs loved the big teams & didn't want a minnow to go through.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

never a pen - at least a yard outside the box - but in those days the refs loved the big teams & didn't want a minnow to go through.

Yep outside the area but Berry was lucky not to get sent off.
  • Options
    2 nil up 3-2 down good match but once again could not beat a team from a higher division..But some class players seen that day.
  • Options
    Did they have a goal disallowed, scored from outside the box but they had a player sprawled on the ground thoroughly injured but deemed to be offside? The game was a cracker and we were very unlucky to not force the replay.
    The above incinent may not have happened at all
  • Options
    Thought from the title that this was a set up for the "World's shortest book" joke...