Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Bristol Rovers | Mon 2 Jan | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Bristol Rovers
Monday 2nd January 2017 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Darren Deadman

Introduction

New Year… New beginnings… New Charlton?

As Big Ben struck midnight we waved goodbye to 2016 in what wasn’t the best of years for Charlton Athletic; after three years of trying to get out League One we found ourselves returning, the efforts made by our record breaking squad for nothing. The year began with a 1-1 draw against Nottingham Forest and ended very much the same with a 1-1 draw against Southend United on Saturday afternoon.

Now we prepare for the last of our festive fixtures, the last match for two weeks (thanks to FA Cup duties for Rochdale) and the first match at the Valley since our 2-0 defeat at the hands of Peterborough United, all teams in the Division have been faced (whilst Port Vale are done and dusted), it’s time to play everyone all over again, starting this Monday against Bristol Rovers

The Opposition
Name: Bristol Rovers | Manager: Darrell Clarke
Ground: The Memorial Stadium

Visiting the Valley this Saturday are the opponents of our best result this season… In November the Addicks travelled to the West, we were without a manager and expectations were minimal against a side that were currently in the Play-Offs… Fans were shocked when five goals were scored and despite a late penalty from the home side, our delight could not be dented.

Since that day the fortunes of the Pirates haven’t changed that much, despite being outside of the Play-Offs they’re only short of sixth by two points whilst only three games have ended in defeat, thankfully those both being the only away fixtures they’ve played of late… You have to go back to October 22nd when they last won away at Oxford United.

Charlton Team News
The biggest news come out of Southend on Saturday was the fact that Ademola Lookman was missing from the squad, with the transfer window now open you’d expect his move to Everton to go through at any time yet he was apparently missing due to injury so if the move hasn’t gone through by tomorrow we could see him back in the squad.

Jay DaSilva signed on loan from Chelsea prior to the window being open so was unavailable against the Shrimpers yet could now make his Charlton debut whilst Joe Aribo should potentially keep his place after an impressive start in Midfield… Tony Watt returned from Hearts after his loan was cut short and having played often in Scotland he too could play a part tomorrow.

Phillips
Konsa | Bauer | Teixeira | Fox
Aribo | Crofts | Ulvestad | Chicksen
Magennis | Ajose

Substitutes Bench: Mitov | Johnson | Lennon | DaSilva | Ahearne-Grant | Watt | Umerah

Prediction
Karl Robinson took charge after Bristol Rovers and has yet to replicate the results we saw back in November… Failure to win tomorrow could certainly send a worrying message to fans and will surely look like two steps back since that day

Comments

• Options
    Not starting with Ajose again, surely!?
  • Options
    Got to be a home win .. the players can afford to give it everything as they then have nearly two weeks off .. I like @ForeverAddickted 's line up but I doubt Watt will be on the bench .. we will see

CAFC 2 v Bristol Rovers 0
  • Options
    2-1
  • Options
    Comfortable home win 4-0.
  • Options
    5-5 draw with Robinson blaming every goal on Johnson.
  • Options
    2-0 to the boys, although I don't think it'll be easy and a late goal to calm nerves.
  • Options
    Botaka should start
  • Options
    Ajose double 3-1
  • Options

5-5 draw with Robinson blaming every goal on Johnson.

And the fans blaming every goal on Fox..... including the ones conceded by Rovers.
  • Options
    If Fox is going as well as Lookman I can't see him playing, probably go down with the same cold as Lookman. Botaka's last game before flying off to Africa, so would expect him at least on the bench. Would KR trust Watt before he sees him in training and making him cry?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We're 10 games unbeaten with Deadman in charge.

We always win at home and even beat Boro in the protest game last season.

We beat Coventry 3-0 last time Deadman was ref.

We haven't lost since January 2009, 4-1 at Sheff W.

Lump on us to win. He often red cards an oppo player against us as well.

http://www.soccerbase.com/referees/referee.sd?referee_id=875&season_id=138

Deadman's in charge tomorrow.
  • Options
    I previewed the match earlier today for the Trust: http://www.castrust.org/2017/01/charlton-hope-to-power-past-the-gas-again/. Personally I'd like to see Foley and Botaka in for Konsa and Ajose, not just as I rate Ezri more as a centre-back but because, as an 18-year-old who has played every minute of the last six games, he might benefit from a rest.
  • Options
    I've been told its actually an exciting time to be a Charlton supporter, 0-0 then.
  • Options
    3-1 Charlton
  • Options
    Should be a home win. In spells against Southend we looked ok and Aribo was very good. KAG's cameo also was very positive so this game should be winnable. But this is Charlton and those draws keep coming. 2-2 and we have 2 weeks to get that squad right.
  • Options
    Can Foley play? His contract ended today didn't it?
  • Options
    if ajose starts we won't win
  • Options

Can Foley play? His contract ended today didn't it?

5 Jan I think.
  • Options
    I'm expecting a change at centre back with Bauer out injured. This could mean Konsa switching to the centre and Foley coming in or a recall for Lennon? Two games in three days might be too much for Aribo, but it's a tough call to leave him out of the starting line-up. Botaka should start with Desilva on the high left hand side.
  • Options
    This is my first visit to The Valley this season, but only because they were handing out free seats in exchange for coats. So after a quick trip to the charity shop, it's a big family and friends day out to block A in the East Stand - three Addicks, a couple of Millwall, a Brizzle, one from Leeds, and I don't know who the last one supports.

Assuming the farmer's injured, it should be Foley, Konsa, Tex, Chicksen at the back.

I don't think he'll put in Dasilva and Watt straight away, so if he's playing 4-2-3-1 it will be Crofts and Ulvestad in the middle, Aribo, Botaka and Ajose in front of them and Mac up front.

I'd expect Watt to replace an ineffectual Ajose at some point, and Dasilva to get a run out, too, so we might finish with those two and Mac as a front three as we chase a late equaliser to rescue a point.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Its the memorial game today and along with many other names my mums name will be shown the big screen she would have been happy with that I think.
    As for the game I'm actually going for a 2-0 victory (not the draw I usually predict) based on Brizzie not being very good and hoping that Aribo, Botaka and maybe Desilva starting. New Year, New hope. COYR's
    Match thread from 2 pm

I'll be watching, not reading your thread, but as ever, thanks for doing it.
  • Options
    3-0 home win
  • Options
    Gobshite to win press conference 6-nil
    Roly to win bank balance shoot out 10 million -nil
    Ms. Nightmeire to win vanity and self-delusion contest 123-nil

Charlton to draw match 1-1 as usual.

Only 98 points off the play offs and still dreaming of new dawns. fresh beginnings, key fixtures, turning points, big signings, and Tony Watt playing.
  • Options
    How about one better than the away game - 5-0.
  • Options
    Someone's going to have to explain to @ForeverAddickted what the word "prediction" means !

If we persist with 4-2-3-1 then it'll be another 1-1, if KR uses his brain then it's 3-1 to Charlton.
  • Options
    I do not expect Watt to even be in the squad, let alone playing. And rightly so.

Desilva I expect to be on the bench.

If Bauer injured then Konsa moves in and Foley at right back. The rest of the team to be the same as the starters Saturday. It would be stupid IMO to drop Fox and make too many changes unless one or two picked up knocks that haven't quite recovered.

Subs on early and could be intresting. Excitement from the bench. Whatever next!
  • Options
    2 0 Charlton to give everyone a boost for the new year.
    Then capitulate against millwall and a reality check for all
  • Options

2 0 Charlton to give everyone a boost for the new year.
    Then capitulate against millwall and a reality check for all

Agree 2-0 but as I have to miss the Spanners game we are bound to beat them too.