Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What year did shops start opening on boxing day?

2»

Comments

• Options
    iaitch said:

You sure you don't mean New Years Day?

I started work in 1972 and first few years New Years Day was a working day then it became a bank holiday.

he might be a Scot. It used to be we had Boxing Day as a bank holiday and went to work on New Years Day with a hangover and the Scots had New Years Day off Instead of Boxing Day. I think we all got the extra day from 1975 so we all had the 3 days off

• Options
    In 2007 I was working at Millets on Orpington High Street. Area manager insisted that we would open as WHSmith was open.

I told him that it was going to be dead and its throwing money away but he was insistent.

WHSmith was open from 10-1 for people to get a newspaper. Three of us got triple pay for a full days work and was the only other shop open. We took 13 quid that day. No surprise that you don't get Millets on the high street anymore.
  • Options
    Daddy_Pig said:

In 2007 I was working at Millets on Orpington High Street. Area manager insisted that we would open as WHSmith was open.

Can't fault his logic...whenever I go out to buy a protractor and overpriced cd I insist on also purchasing a camping stove and pair of walking boots as I imagine many others do up and down the land.
  • Options
    Funnily enough only the other day I went out to buy a pair of walking boots and a camping stove and naturally found myself automatically heading for WH Smith's to buy a protractor and overpriced CD......surely that's not a coincidence?
  • Options
    Boxing Day is a normal day Frenchside. So fuck all open anyway
  • Options

Boxing Day is a normal day Frenchside. So fuck all open anyway

When you say a "normal" day, do you mean the French air traffic control are on strike again? ;)
  • Options
    I know Boxing Day is a normal working day for lots of people in jobs that are important to the day to day well being of the country and goes without saying what they are. But shopping on Boxing Day in Blue Water isn't on my top of things to do list. I also feel, as shop workers, are some of the lowest paid, it seems a little exploitive of people in no position to say no.
  • Options
    When I started working in retail back in the late 80s in Safeway, we were open 8am-8pm Mon-Thu, 8am-9pm Fri and 8am-7pm Sat. There was no internet shopping yet we all managed to get to the supermarket just fine at some point in the week. Now we open at 6am and close at 11pm.

We got time-and-a-third for working Saturdays, and before 6am and after 6pm any other days. For Bank Holidays we got treble pay. Any overtime worked was at double rate. When Sunday trading first came along some years later we got double pay.
    Fast forward to today and general staff get single time for Saturdays, Sundays, Bank Holidays (with the exception of Boxing Day & New Years Day which is time-and-a-half) and overtime. Bank Holidays are considered a 'normal working day' so if you want it off you have to put in a holiday request along with everyone else. No sick pay for first 3 days absent is another new one for us this year.

Rate of pay can vary a fair bit, with the discounters Lidl and Aldi actually paying some of the highest base rates, but going by the staff turnover at my local Lidl (that I used to work at when it was a Safeway) it doesn't seem to be a great place to work at. I think this year is the first time that particular Lidl is also opening today (Boxing Day).

I see adverts for Next sales starting today at 6am instore and people have been queueing all night for it... Feel sorry for the staff that have had to work there today but didn't want to.

I used to be in the union but they were crap. USDAW - Useless Seven Days A Week.

BTW, while I'm on a bit of a rant, don't blame the staff for putting out the Easter Eggs this week! Every supermarket does it, and no it doesn't get earlier each year!
  • Options
    clb74 said:

clb74 said:

Whenever it was, what a pain in the arse my daughter has to work Boxing Day until 6 and as there are no trains I will have to pick her up meaning I can't bloody drink.

Think of all that lovely housekeeping she's paying you steve
    Fuck all
    They will only get it when your gone anyway mate
    Or when the woman goes........and divorces you!
  • Options
    My wife has a 12 hour a week contract with Next, but had to work 6.5 hours Xmas Eve and boxing day starting at 6am and worked 7 hours yesterday. So much for Christmas being a family time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    does anyone here complaining about boxing day shops being open ever go Boxing Day Football?

• Options
    MrOneLung said:

does anyone here complaining about boxing day shops being open ever go Boxing Day Football?

(I don't complain about the shops being open and) I've gone to watch Charlton on Boxing Day but I wouldn't call it football, does that count ?