Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gary Rowett sacked at B'Ham replaced by Zola who's replaced by Redknapp

Comments

• Options

I'm given to understand that he is a great chap.
    In the very few games he played for us he was real class and many of us were looking forward to many years of service from him.....absolute sickener when he had to hang up his boots.
    Good luck to you mate,wherever you turn up, you deserve it.

He had a history of knee trouble I seem to recall so I was a bit concerned when Curbs signed him. However, as you say, he was a class player.

The decision by Birmingham's owners to sack someone doing a good job and replace him with someone who's been a failure as a manager is strange to say the least.
  • Options
    I have two Blues season ticket mates and they weren't surprised Rowett was sacked. According to them there is a feeling that he spent quite a bit of money on players in the summer but doesn't play those players. They think the owner wants to spend more in January but doesn't trust Rowett to spend wisely.

That said, my two mates were disappointed that Rowett was sacked because they can see that Birmingham were more than holding their own in a difficult league.
  • Options
    I presume these owners at Birmingham just want more attacking/exciting football..

Yes it worked for us but Zola did have some very good players given to him and the 2nd season when we/he got found out was a nightmare.
  • Options
    edited December 2016

Do they believe they will get more subservience from a foreigner than a British manager?

Watford have turned over four / five Managers in recent years and none of them have kicked up a fuss,
    Well 3/4 did "quit" for various reasons (including Zola himself) so they didn't have much of a leg to stand on whilst another resigned due to ill health.

The only one who would feel hard done by is McKinley (and Dyche but he has been a success at Burnley since)

Sannino fell out with the players/owners - basically everyone.

Jokanovic was out of contract and terms couldn't be agreed (shame as he was a decent manager...) whilst Flores had a break clause in his contract after a year..

However this does seem very harsh and strange given Birmingham are 7th and the players probably enjoyed playing under Rowett.

Also what sort of player are they expecting to attract - as I say Zola was largely given players on a plate with us so he has no great experience of making his own signings.

All these clubs probably think its worked for us so will work for them!

• Options
    Star wars o2
  • Options
    Oops wrong place
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Wasn't very good at West ham, left Watford when he got found out in his 2nd season, sacked by Cagliari after 3 months, sacked by Al Arabi after finishing 8th in a 14 team league.

How does any club owner look at this record and think "he's the man we need".

Apparently in a local paper poll, 83% of Birmingham fans said they'd rather have Rowett instead of Zola, i'm only surprised it wasn't more.
  • Options
    Won't be seeing Zola at Bickley station for a few months then.
  • Options

Oh really.....didn't know he lived in that neck of the woods.
  • Options

Someting else you're ignorant about then.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Celebrity train spotting group Henry?
  • Options

Dog with a bone Henry.....dog with a bone!
  • Options

Better than an ostrich with blinkers
  • Options

Better than an ostrich with blinkers
    We could go on for days at this rate!
  • Options

• Options

I would never replace a proper football manager with a French fin de siècle social realist novelist.

They should have got Dostoyevsky instead.
  • Options
    3 defeats and a draw since he took over ... great move by the owners.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

IA said:

I would never replace a proper football manager with a French fin de siècle social realist novelist.

Gary Dostoyevsky, development squad coach at Mansfield Town, seen as a man with the potential to make the step up to first team management
    is he the guy with the three brothers in his coaching team?
  • Options

IA said:

Gary Dostoyevsky, development squad coach at Mansfield Town, seen as a man with the potential to make the step up to first team management
    Possibly, but I heard they also had an Idiot...
  • Options

IA said:

Possibly, but I heard they also had an Idiot...
    Harsh but fair.

I did hear that he doesn't let his players get away with anything. commit a crime and the punishment is clear.
  • Options
    This is CL thread gold!

Note to any stray Spanners.

See what happens when you go to a school where they do not lock you in as well at lights out?
  • Options
    Did he bring his assistant, Jack Hughes?

(Sorry if someone's already done that one. Couldn't be bothered to read the whole thread.)
  • Options
    Uboat said:

Did he bring his assistant, Jack Hughes?

(Sorry if someone's already done that one. Couldn't be bothered to read the whole thread.)

Not yet but L'argent talks
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Would love it if they went down.
  • Options

stonemuse said:

Would love it if they went down.
    Especially if we pass them on the way up