Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Why hasn't Charles-Cook been featuring?

He impressed me last year in his first team outings and what I saw at U23, good technical ability and definitely has potential to push on.

Why has he not been featuring? Injured, not rated, or stepped back a little since last year?

Anyone been following some of the U23 stuff have a view?

Comments

• Options
    He was injured definitely
  • Options
    Very good point @AFKABartram I'd honestly forgotten about him. Charles-Cook that is.
  • Options
    Whats happened to KAG?
  • Options
    What about Muldoon he is 22 and still no where near the first team. He must be the new Mambo.
  • Options
    edited December 2016

Whats happened to KAG?

Confidence. In my opinion he burst on to the scene so young in large part because he has so much pace. I've felt that his technique and the intelligence of his runs lagged behind. This is me going on a handful of first team cameos, those who saw him at youth level may disagree. But once a player that young loses confidence (because of a run in the side last year when we were desperately struggling), their touch goes and its felt like he never really recovered.

As far as RCC goes, I've been asking this all season. I know he was injured during pre-season, and perhaps he's struggled to get fully up-to-speed since then? His technique and athleticism are what our midfield as been crying out for this season. It's worth remembering that six months ago it was reported that Arsenal and Liverpool were scouting him.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/apr/14/football-transfer-rumours-barcelona-to-pay-50m-for-dimitri-payet

I guess it stands to reason that he's simply behind Aribo and Konsa in terms of young midfielders. I personally would have brought him on for Novak to give Aribo more freedom, and it would have allowed us to go 4-2-3-1. When Konsa was moved into central midfield it sounds like he did quite well (just going on the commentary).

To be fair to Robinson, it seems like he is willing to trust the youth going on the little we've seen of him thus far.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Whats happened to KAG?

Confidence. In my opinion he burst on to the scene so young in large part because he has so much pace. I've felt that his technique and the intelligence of his runs lagged behind. This is me going on a handful of first team cameos, those who saw him at youth level may disagree. But once a player that young loses confidence (because of a run in the side last year when we were desperately struggling), their touch goes and its felt like he never really recovered.

As far as RCC goes, I've been asking this all season. I know he was injured during pre-season, and perhaps he's struggled to get fully up-to-speed since then? His technique and athleticism are what our midfield as been crying out for this season. It's worth remembering that six months ago it was reported that Arsenal and Liverpool were scouting him.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/apr/14/football-transfer-rumours-barcelona-to-pay-50m-for-dimitri-payet

I guess it stands to reason that he's simply behind Aribo and Konsa in terms of young midfielders. I personally would have brought him on for Novak to give Aribo more freedom, and it would have allowed us to go 4-2-3-1. When Konsa was moved into central midfield it sounds like he did quite well (just going on the commentary).

To be fair to Robinson, it seems like he is willing to trust the youth going on the little we've seen of him thus far.
    I agree. Get the impression that he wouldn't be willing to pick them if he wasn't confident that they'd do well too. I don't think we'll see too many players being chucked in at the deep end like you mentioned with KAG.
  • Options

SDAddick said:

Whats happened to KAG?

I agree. Get the impression that he wouldn't be willing to pick them if he wasn't confident that they'd do well too. I don't think we'll see too many players being chucked in at the deep end like you mentioned with KAG.
    Agreed, but it's also worth noting that it is such a fine line between giving players a run in the team to help them grow, but making sure you don't kill their confidence by leaving them in too long or in too difficult of a situation. I just wrote over on the post match thread that this was a very good game for young players to get a chance in. And of course there is no magic formula, every player is different.

How Robinson handles Konsa over the next 2-3 weeks will be very interesting. Konsa is clearly very talented, and capable of playing in central defense, right back, and central midfield, all areas where we need cover. But the Christmas fixtures are difficult for even the most experienced pros, so it could be incredibly difficult for an 18 year old who has played three positions in the last two matches.
  • Options
    The interesting thing with Robinson at the moment is I get much more of a vibe that he's using the younger players because he wants to rather than because he has no other option. This is possibly because we don't have a massive injury crisis at the moment, and it may well change, but it feels less desperate than when Peeters, Luzon and Fraeye were chucking in random children every game. I hope RCC gets into the squad soon as he did seem to be at the forefront of the youth development. Not at right back though
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The interesting thing with Robinson at the moment is I get much more of a vibe that he's using the younger players because he wants to rather than because he has no other option. This is possibly because we don't have a massive injury crisis at the moment, and it may well change, but it feels less desperate than when Peeters, Luzon and Fraeye were chucking in random children every game. I hope RCC gets into the squad soon as he did seem to be at the forefront of the youth development. Not at right back though

Really?

• Options
    SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

Whats happened to KAG?

Agreed, but it's also worth noting that it is such a fine line between giving players a run in the team to help them grow, but making sure you don't kill their confidence by leaving them in too long or in too difficult of a situation. I just wrote over on the post match thread that this was a very good game for young players to get a chance in. And of course there is no magic formula, every player is different.

How Robinson handles Konsa over the next 2-3 weeks will be very interesting. Konsa is clearly very talented, and capable of playing in central defense, right back, and central midfield, all areas where we need cover. But the Christmas fixtures are difficult for even the most experienced pros, so it could be incredibly difficult for an 18 year old who has played three positions in the last two matches.
    There was an interesting point raised on the radio at the weekend. One of the former pros on 5 Live ponted out that when youngsters get in to the first team, they are coached more on what the first team needs than on what they need to do to develop into better players.

By the way, SD, we don't have defense at Charlton, central or otherwise, but we do have central defence. ;-)
  • Options
    I would of expected that this regime, with all the investment it has placed into hyphens, would be looking to cash in and sell them on if they show the slightest bit of promise. I have been tipped the nod by my insider in the club that we are going to be heavily into apostrophes and acute accents in the next couple of years...
  • Options
    We have a number of young players at the moment who could tilt either way.

Whilst it is now apparent that Lookman, Konsa and Phillips have 'made it' at a decent level or better, maybe even Lennon and certainly the slightly older Fox, the landscape is a bit different elsewhere.

Callum is right in my view in the messing around with KAG who needs a bit of serious rehabilitation, RFC is a little in that category too...maybe even Lennon!

We also have Hanlan and Umerah and Aribo who are progressing satisfactorily at the moment but need care and monitoring, also Mitov and Kennedy .

In my view the introduction of the younger players should happen with a lot more care, and they should only be untimely exposed in a real emergency. Bob Peeters seemed to have too much of a cavalier attitude in this regard, and the trend continued somewhat until recently. Maybe because we have had far too many emergencies.

We have some good ones still around, such as Edwards, Lapslie and a few others, I would like to think they will emerge into a stable footballing environment which up to now (eight managers!) hasn't existed.
  • Options

IMO half the problem is because of the gulf between the U23 development league and the demands of League One.
    That's why clubs always liked to send out promising youngsters on loan to gain a 1st team experience at a competitive senior level.

In any case, however desperate the injury list is, it's not wise to throw too many raw youngsters together into the 1st team.
    That's not necessarily because they are individually lacking but sufficient experience is needed within a side to tie it all together.

• Options
    I'm probably echoing what others have said but he started off the season injured. He didn't have a pre season due to injuries and what not. I think his confidence was very low. A bit like that of Kennedy and a bit like that of KAG.

Jason Euell has worked tirelessly to get them playing the same kind of football that they were playing before they were exposed by Guy Luzon and the likes of RCC are getting back to their best. Kennedy is just banging in goals for the U21s. KAG's been improving too.

The reason why the like of Hanlan/Aribo/Umerah are getting time of the bench and in the squad is because they're still full of confidence and they're being blooded in. I would have brought RCC on instead of RoJo last night.
  • Options
    January window coming up, players like RCC, Aribo, KAG, Kennedy, Edwards, Lapsie and Umerah have to go out on loan if KR isn't going to use them. They are no longer kids - most 19 or more. U23 will teach them little.
  • Options

January window coming up, players like RCC, Aribo, KAG, Kennedy, Edwards, Lapsie and Umerah have to go out on loan if KR isn't going to use them. They are no longer kids - most 19 or more. U23 will teach them little.

Doesn't help that they can only go on short term loans to the Conference or below. If we want to loan them out to League Two it has to be a half or full season loan.