Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New Charlton sexual abuse claim in Sunday Mirror (11/12/16)

edited December 2016 in General Charlton
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/football-abuse-victim-reveals-how-9433202

There are some very serious errors in this story. No Paul Collins ever played for Charlton's first team in a competitive match. The kit in the picture is 1977-80 (Charlton dropped Bukta after 79/80), although youth players may have worn old kit. If Collins joined Charlton in 1984 as reported then Heath was already dead - alternatively if he joined Charlton from Millwall when Heath did he would have been about 11 at the time if he is now 47.

John Barnes was at Watford in 1985, but Charlton didn't play them then. Collins would have been 16 in 1985.

Charlton played Watford (and Barnes) in the FA Cup in January 1984. Even if Collins' birthday is in late December/early January he would have been just 15 at the time. Paul Curtis played at right-back in that game. When the teams next met in 1986/87, Steve Gritt and John Humphrey were at right-back.

Comments

• Options
    Write to them, Airman.

Make them print an apology/retraction...
  • Options
    not necessarily saying that it's true in this case .. BUT .. with every sex scandal/abuse panic, there will be band wagon jumpers either looking for publicity to boost their boring lives and / or self esteem, or more likely a nice cash payment in the form of compensation, damages, or a nice payout from the sensation hungry 'media'
  • Options
    Also worth noting that the questionable information is in the story, but not the quotes. It's quite possible the author just messed it up.
  • Options
    I am amazed this shitrag paper is still going with top journalism like this.
  • Options
    Surely Checking facts first would have given a clearer idea of what to print.
  • Options
    I read this piece and checked CC's excellent book as I had never heard of this so called player and will be emailing the reporter this evening, as should we all I .beleive
  • Options
    I went to school with Paul. He was a fantastic schoolboy player. I remember him at millwall then switching to charlton. By that time we had all left school and didn't keep in contact. I heard in later life that he'd got into trouble with drugs and crime but it was hardly surprising due to the environment where we were raised as kids. I would say that of any of the boys that played football in my area Paul was destined to make it. He was streets ahead.
  • Options
    If this was fact checked then it wasn't done very well. More likely the editor just jumped on it as it was a story that was trending and he got what he wanted for a few hundred pounds. I really hope it's not made up as that kind of thing just makes the genuine victims less likely to come forward and also means they are less likely to be believed.

The picture of him in a Charlton shirt is clearly not from an official photo, so unlikely to have been something he had as a player at the time. It looks as if the person next to him is a girl anyway and that it was taken in a park!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    markmc68 said:

I went to school with Paul. He was a fantastic schoolboy player. I remember him at millwall then switching to charlton. By that time we had all left school and didn't keep in contact. I heard in later life that he'd got into trouble with drugs and crime but it was hardly surprising due to the environment where we were raised as kids. I would say that of any of the boys that played football in my area Paul was destined to make it. He was streets ahead.

That's helpful information. Would he be 47 though?
  • Options
    He's 48.
  • Options
    We had paul Collins and Darren Morgan former millwall and Bradford in our school team. Happy days !!!
  • Options
    markmc68 said:

He's 48.

Thanks.
  • Options
    The article says he played against John Barnes "for a Charlton team", not necessarily the first team. Is it possible that we played Watford in, say, a reserve match, when Barnes was perhaps returning from an injury?
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    John Barnes wasn't a "future England star" in 1985, either; his debut for the full England team was in 1983 and the famous goal against Brazil was in 1984.

This story is also in the Daily Mail:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4021952/Former-Charlton-youth-star-says-abuse-hands-alleged-paedophile-coach-led-contemplating-suicide.html

It says "Mr Johnson said he was sexually abused by Heath, who was chief-scout at the club [Chelsea], while a youth player in the 1970s." which disagrees with the Mirror's statement: "Paul’s nightmare began as a schoolboy in 1981 playing for London youth team Riverside, run by Heath." Heath was sacked by Chelsea in 1979 and would have been at Millwall in 1981, I assume. The Mail says he's 47 now, btw.

I suppose that, even if he is the source of factual discrepancies, the guy is entitled to be a bit hazy about the dates and possibly even where some of the events happened.
  • Options
    edited December 2016

John Barnes wasn't a "future England star" in 1985, either; his debut for the full England team was in 1983 and the famous goal against Brazil was in 1984.

This story is also in the Daily Mail:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4021952/Former-Charlton-youth-star-says-abuse-hands-alleged-paedophile-coach-led-contemplating-suicide.html

It says "Mr Johnson said he was sexually abused by Heath, who was chief-scout at the club [Chelsea], while a youth player in the 1970s." which disagrees with the Mirror's statement: "Paul’s nightmare began as a schoolboy in 1981 playing for London youth team Riverside, run by Heath." Heath was sacked by Chelsea in 1979 and would have been at Millwall in 1981, I assume. The Mail says he's 47 now, btw.

I suppose that, even if he is the source of factual discrepancies, the guy is entitled to be a bit hazy about the dates and possibly even where some of the events happened.

Johnson is a different person.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    danny777 said:

The article says he played against John Barnes "for a Charlton team", not necessarily the first team. Is it possible that we played Watford in, say, a reserve match, when Barnes was perhaps returning from an injury?

The article has now been edited then, because the print version says it was his "first team debut", as did the web story originally. Barnes is six years older than Collins, so I think we are probably talking about a reserve match rather than youth football, as you suggest. We would have played Watford at reserve level in 1985, but he'd have been 15/16.
  • Options

not necessarily saying that it's true in this case .. BUT .. with every sex scandal/abuse panic, there will be band wagon jumpers either looking for publicity to boost their boring lives and / or self esteem, or more likely a nice cash payment in the form of compensation, damages, or a nice payout from the sensation hungry 'media'

That's also the attitude that stops people coming forward in the first place...
  • Options
    All par for the course as far as the Mirror is concerned imo
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

danny777 said:

The article has now been edited then, because the print version says it was his "first team debut", as did the web story originally. Barnes is six years older than Collins, so I think we are probably talking about a reserve match rather than youth football, as you suggest. We would have played Watford at reserve level in 1985, but he'd have been 15/16.
    Edited at 7pm last night.

I now expect to see it edited to Cheltenham at 7pm tonight.